Gunnery Sergeant Victor Galindez Fanfiction

Home

Fanfiction Index | Contact Me
The Dance
DISCLAIMER:

The JAG concept, and the characters of Admiral Chegwidden, Sarah Mackenzie, Harmon Rabb, Jr. , Bud Roberts, Harriet Sims, AJ Roberts, Jason Tiner, Loren Singer, Clayton Webb and Victor Galindez are the property of Belisarius Productions, Paramount Television, CBS-TV and related entities. No copyright infringement is intended. This story is purely for entertainment purposes and no profit is being made. 

This story may not be copied or reproduced elsewhere without the consent of the author. Kimberly S. 2002.

yum.jpg

AUTHOR'S NOTE: I tried something new with this piece. Except for the Prologue the story is written in the first person from Austin's point of view.

PROLOGUE:

2100 EST
Bradford/Galindez Home
McLean, Virginia
 
 
"Dinner!" Austin called through the open kitchen window to the man puttering in a small storage shed.

"Coming," Victor called back straightening from the overturned lawnmower. He was no closer than he'd been an hour ago to figuring out what was wrong with the stubborn machine, but he felt satisfied nonetheless.

"Very nice Marine, the grease on your nose is a real statement," Austin teased meeting him at the back door with a quick kiss.

"Hey...we're home owners now Aus...no one else is going to be mowing the lawn for us," He reminded going to the sink to wash up.

Austin looked around the kitchen smiling at all the things that were theirs: her's and Victor's. Maybe the fairytale could come true, not exactly as it was supposed to according to the story books, but it could happen nonetheless.

They'd moved into the small ranch-style home not long ago with the help of their friends. Victor claimed he felt weird living within a few blocks of his CO, but it never stopped him from getting up at 5 to run with the Admiral.

Austin was sleeping in now, enjoying the warm blankets and quilt on the bed and the nice warm spot left when Victor got up. It was Fall and she claimed she was practicing her hibernation skills.

"You're a million miles away, aren't you Aus?"

She leaned back against his chest tilting her head back to look up at him. "Something like that."

"Let's eat my love."

They were halfway through dinner when the phone rang and contrary to his custom Victor answered it.

"Hello?"

"Glad you answered Galindez."

"Webb," The word still sounded like a curse and Austin looked up sharply.

"Very good. Are you alone right now?"

"Just a second..." Victor got up and walked into the living room. "What is it?"

"Need your help pal."

"I'm not your pal Webb. What if I say no?"

"I'd like to remind you of a report I wrote awhile ago that didn't detail some of your less acceptable extracurricular activities."

"All right," his voice was cold and flat. "You made your point. What is it?"

"Ever been to Vermont?"

"Nope."

"Great state: lots of trees. You're going to see it."

"When?"

"How soon can you leave?"

"Couple of hours."

"Wonderful. There's a cell phone in the glove compartment of your car. Punch in 2 when you're on the road. I'll give you directions."

Victor hung up without saying good bye shaking his head as he walked back into the kitchen.

"You're going somewhere aren't you love?" Austin asked.

"Yeah," He hugged her tight. "Is that okay?"

She shrugged. "I guess so."

"How about with you, little one?" Victor asked softly splaying a hand out over the small protrusion in Austin's stomach.

"No answer. I think the mini marine is asleep...I've been moving around a lot today," Austin smiled turning to nestle against him.

"Want me to run a bath for you before I go?"

"That would definitely put you in the running for husband-to-be of the year," Austin smirked.

"Well then, guess I'd better get busy," Victor laughed
 
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

2155 EST



"I'll lock the doors when I leave. Please remember not to leave the kitchen window open all night: it's too tempting," Victor lectured as he took a seat on the edge of the tub.

"I look fat," Austin pouted looking down the length of her body under the warm scented water.

"No you don't. You look like you're carrying our baby."

"Keep saying that Jarhead and I just might let you live through the delivery."

"I think I'd better live through the wedding first. Mama's planning on coming out two weeks early to supervise."

Austin lifted her left hand out of the water admiring the engagement ring on her finger. "Have I told you lately how much I am looking forward to be Mrs. Victor Galindez?"

"Not in the last 24 hours or so," Victor grinned leaning forward to kiss the tip of her nose, then her cheek, finally moving with soft gentle kisses to her lips.

"Mmm...you are still the best kisser I have ever met, but you'd better go. I'm sure Webb is expecting you or something."

"You're right...I'd rather stay here with you, but-"

"You'll be back before you know it," Austin reassured him brushing her hand over his face noticing something in his eyes she'd never seen before.

"You're right...I'm just being stupid," He forced a laugh.

Austin smiled feeling uneasy at what she'd seen in his eyes. "You be careful Vic: you are going to be waiting for me at the end of that aisle on Christmas Eve."

"Nothing in the world is going to keep me away Aus," He promised planting another lingering kiss on her lips before standing and leaving the room.

"Love you Vic."

"Love you too Aus, you too mini-marine."

Austin watched him walk out of the bathroom listening as he moved through the house. When she heard the front door open and close she shuddered briefly as a chill ran down her spine.


END PROLOGUE


*******************************************************


BEEP BEEP BEEP
 
Is that any way to wake up in the morning? To my way of thinking it isn't and I prove it by emerging from my warm cocoon long enough to sweep the offending machine from the night stand. Or I would have swept it off if Vic hadn't moved the thing to his night stand. I guess he figured we'd gone through enough alarm clocks in our relationship and wanted to save this one.

"Okay Austin, on the count of three," I mumble sleepily pushing up with my arms letting the cool morning air under the blankets with me.

Shivering with my eyes narrowed I moved in for the kill only to have the obnoxious thing shut up. I vaguely remember Vic telling me it was set to ring for only a couple of minutes, long enough to wake him. Well, I was sort of awake now and my bladder was clamoring for my attention so I decided to get up.

With the morning routine out of the way I wandered into the kitchen. The coffeemaker had kicked on and the smell of hazelnut decaf was beginning to fill the space. I loved coffee, even decaf. I was allowed some caffeine during the day, but I couldn't seem to find any anywhere. Not even at JAG. There was always decaf in the break room, but the high test was apparently under lock and key elsewhere. I guess the Admiral read the same parenting magazines as Victor did.

Without a gorgeous Marine to distract me I managed to get showered in record time. The dressing took a bit longer since I'd been struck by some indecisiveness hormone and had to try on no less than three outfits before opting for the jumper I'd laid out the night before. With nothing left to do in the house I filled my travel mug and headed for my car. Might as well get an early start.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

0730 EST
JAG Headquarters
Falls Church, Virginia



"Good morning Miss Bradford, Ma'am."

"Morning Tiner," I smile pleasantly resisting the urge to throttle the innocent Petty Officer. I hate to be called Ma'am...I know it's a sign of respect, but it irks me just the same. I continue through to the break room to find Harriet gazing sourly into the refrigerator.

"Let me guess...someone used all the fat free French Vanilla creamer?" I ask pulling two quarts out of my soft-sided briefcase.

"Oh thank you! That's the only thing that makes this decaf crap bearable," Harriet smiles at me turning to reveal a bulge a little bigger than mine to her abdomen. "Where's Gunny?"

"Off playing with Webb...He left last night," I answer handing her the creamers which we hide behind something in a bowl.

"Yuck...risotto," Harriet groans reaching for it when someone clears his throat behind us.

"Lieutenant Sims, do not touch my risotto!"

"I wasn't Sir..I was just, moving it. Miss Bradford brought in more creamer and I needed to make room for it."

"Hmm," the Admiral smirks rocking back slightly on his heels to look at us. Sometimes I think he worries about having two pregnant women in the office at one time. I'm sure when we're in our last trimester we won't be allowed through the front doors just so he doesn't have to deliver any more babies.

"Good morning Admiral Chegwidden," I say in a bright, chipper voice mostly for the benefit of Lieutenant Singer who has just entered the break room. I don't like her one bit and I know the feeling is returned in full. I know she can't wait to see me go on Maternity leave so she can take over my tiny office.

"Good morning Miss Bradford. Gunny got off okay last night?"

Maybe it shouldn't, but the tone of the Admiral's voice sets off some sort of warning bells in my head. He sounds almost like he's concerned. Chalking it up to paranoia I nod and reply. "He left about 10...oops, 2200 or so."

My use of military time breaks the tension I'm sure I just imagined and the Admiral chuckles. "We'll make a squid of you yet."

The laugh or something brings a flurry of butterflies moving through my stomach and I put a hand over the spot knowing I won't feel it, but wanting the contact anyway. "I don't think my mini-Marine likes that idea Sir."

"Mini-marine, huh? Let me guess who came up with that nickname."

"Actually it was me," I'm proud of Victor being a Marine and calling our baby Mini-marine is one way I can show that pride without embarrassing him. I suppose once he/she arrives we'll need to decide on a real name, but for now "mini-Marine" it is.

"Miss Bradford, you have a call on line 3."

"Thanks Tiner." I head around the Admiral into my office lifting the phone as soon as I reach my desk. I hope it's Victor. He always loves to hear that I've felt the baby move. It's still a new thing for both of us. I'm sure in another 3 or so months I'm not going to find the little pokes and jabs so endearing.

"Hello, Austin Bradford. May I help you?"

"Aus-"

I almost drop the phone. I swear in my life I have never heard a human voice sound like that, so much pain and fear packed into that one tiny syllable it makes me recoil. "Vic? Victor...talk to me!" My voice is sounding a little shrill and I make myself swallow and take a deep breath.

All I get for my trouble is the dial tone humming in my ear. I didn't hear myself whimper or anything, but I must have because before I know it strong arms have encircled me and the Admiral is helping me into my desk chair.

"Are you all right Austin?" All formality is dropped and he's not the Admiral anymore, just AJ. A friend.

I nod trying to figure out how to tell him what I heard and what I'm feeling.

"Take your time. Commander...get her a glass of water please."

I hadn't noticed Harm, but I should have guessed. He's a good friend too and hardly one to be absent when something is going on. I can see Mac edging into the room and it's her I focus on: a Marine, like Victor.
 
"Oh Mac..." I'm not much for melodramatics, but you'd never know it by the wail I give.

"What is it Aus?" Mac's voice is concerned as she kneels beside my chair patting my arm reassuringly.

"That...was Victor...on the phone...something's wrong," Hey I'm still articulate! Pretty sarcastic too, I think wiping a flood of tears off my cheeks. The thing is I can be sarcastic deep inside, but on the surface and in my heart, I'm scared.

"What's wrong?" Harm's voice now as he kneels on my other side handing me the cup of water.

"I-I don't know...I heard his voice...all he said was Aus...but the way he said it," I shudder again. "He wasn't okay."

I sit there for a little while sipping my water like a good girl, letting my friends comfort me, but I get tired of it soon. I'm a woman, I'm pregnant, but I am not weak. I can have moments of weakness, but the truth is I am the most stubborn person I know. Much more stubborn than Victor.

"I'm going to go give Mr. Webb a call and find out what's going on," The Admiral is back again and I feel a stir of pity for Clayton. This time though if there is any breaking of noses to be done I want first shot: Victor is mine.

"Sounds like a good idea sir, we'll come with you," Mac offers squeezing my shoulder as she rises nodding to Harm to follow her.

Finally it is just Harriet and I in my office. She is sitting at the small table I work at sometimes watching me.

"It's going to be okay Austin. Gunny loves you, he loves your baby: nothing is going to happen to ruin this for you two."

"You aren't going to ask me how I know something is wrong?"

Harriet shakes her head. "I saw the look on your face Austin: I know you, you don't just fall apart for no reason. You heard something that shook you."

"Not like when Victor told me about Fareeza..." I counter opting for sarcasm to mask my own worry.

"Probably not, but you heard something," Harriet says again. I know she won't push me any further than this, neither will she let me ignore my feelings.

"I did...pain, fear...not just pain though, agony maybe...it was Victor's voice, but it didn't sound like Victor."

Harriet only nods and then we sit in silence for a little while longer before duty calls and we both have to get on with life
 
I do what is expected of me, answering and returning calls, filing paperwork, even attending a few meetings, but part of my heart and most of my mind is with Victor, hoping and praying he's okay and the call that morning wasn't real.
 
****************************************************

1835 EST
Bradford/Galindez Home
McLean, Virginia



I made it home in one piece, which considering the selection of songs my normally favorite radio station played was quite some feat. One song after the other that had me tearing up. And I thought I was strong-scratch that. I'm a wimp. I should have gone home with Bud and Harriet.
They certainly offered their guest room enough times. Yet here I am sitting in the driveway watching the house as if it's going to have answers for me.

Trying not to let my mind drift back to the sound of Victor's voice I slide out of the car letting my mind turn to Tiner instead.

Poor Tiner, he'd been so apologetic to me, telling me it wasn't Vic who'd been on the other end when he answered or he would have told me. I knew it hadn't been, and I told him so, but Tiner still felt like he had to apologize every time he saw me the rest of the day. I finally shut the door to my office so I wouldn't have to hear the apologies any longer.

"Okay mini-marine, what do you want for dinner?" I question the little lump thinking this has to be a sign of insanity: talking to your stomach can't be good. Not that I feel all that hungry as I drag through the front door, but my body needs nourishment for the baby.

I decide to just sit for awhile and choose Victor's recliner in a corner of the living room, closest to the stereo. I lift the remote turning the CD player on, not quite remembering what we had listened to last.

Music floods out of the speakers: "Valentine" by Martina McBride...we were trying to choose the first song we'll dance to at our reception. I suggested "Whip It" or "I Want Your Sex". Neither of those were quite what he had in mind and I remember him rolling his eyes.

At the time I agreed to this song only to appease him. I had other things on my mind: namely he and I upstairs in bed naked. Right now I would go out and buy the sheet music to this song and sing it for him myself if only he'd walk through the door in the next few minutes.

Bargaining with God has never worked for me in the past and it doesn't work this time. At the end of three minutes I am still staring at the door willing it to open. Daisy appears from one of her many hiding places and curls up on the arm of the chair beside me.

"Hey cat," I mumble stroking her soft black fur while I let my mind drift...

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Flashback...


"Aus, come in here a minute."

Austin came in from the front hall where she'd been hanging wallpaper border. "What is it?"

"What song do you think we should use for our first dance?"

"Whip it?...or I Want Your Sex?"

"Not exactly what I had in mind my love," Victor groaned rolling his eyes hitting play on the remote as he crossed the room to her side. "Listen to this one."
Austin complied though with him that close it's hard to keep her mind on a song. Finally he took the hint and pulled her into his arms swaying her back and forth. 

"Do you like this one?"

"It's nice, but right now I'm a lot more interested in seeing you out of those clothes than listening to songs."

"My impatient love," Victor murmured indulgently as he leaned forward to kiss her. "Are you done with the border?"

"No...and I could use your help. You're a weapons expert: one would assume you could handle some wallpaper," Austin grumbled turning her head away so his lips connect with her neck.

"You told me you didn't want me to help earlier," He reminds her in a soothing tone.
"I lied!"

"Dance with me now Aus...the border will still be there later on."

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
 
 
"You were right Vic...the border did wait that day," I whisper remembering the feel of his body over mine, his breath against my shoulder while we moved together. "Where are you Marine?"

No answer to that query either and I'm beginning to regret being here alone. I should have stayed with Bud and Harriet or asked them to come here for dinner: anything.

The scariest part about all this is that the Admiral couldn't get hold of Clayton either. Part of me is comforted knowing that whatever is going on they are probably going through it together, at least Vic isn't alone, but by the sound of his voice this morning I think he's beyond the point of comfort.

Tears are stinging my eyes again and this time I am not giving in to them: I can't, not if I am going to stay here, which I am since I might get another call. I get out of the chair and decide it's time to clean something: I'll scrub the toilet if I have to to keep busy.

Fortunately, I find plenty of laundry waiting to be washed, dried and folded and the floors could use vacuuming so I'm able to keep myself busy until my stomach rumbles reminding me that I need food.

Nothing in the cupboards looks remotely appealing and I'm thinking of making a trip out for some pizza or a burger and fries when someone knocks on the front door. Not that knocks can sound ominous or anything, but my heart is in my throat the entire way to the door and I don't want to know who or what is waiting on the other side.

I stand there for a few minutes composing my face: no matter what's on the other side I am not going to freak out. Uh-huh...I know a really great bridge for sale in Brooklyn too! I am really beginning to hate the sarcastic little voice in my head: I could use some support here.

Whoever it is knocks again and says something this time.

"Austin, it's AJ: open the door."

I fling it open hoping he has good news for me, knowing he doesn't when I see his face. It's the same face he had when he went to tell Harriet about Bud: I know because I had the dubious honor of going with him to watch little AJ.

My hand goes over my mouth as I back away from the door. I'm ready to turn and bolt up the stairs when he speaks again.

"Austin: Webb was found about an hour ago in Vermont, behind a rest area on I-91. I spoke with the team who found him: he's in rough shape, unconscious... there was no sign of Gunny."

"No," I whimper in a tiny voice sinking to seated position on the bottom step with my arms wrapped around my knees. I know the fact that they didn't find Vic is probably for the best, but I don't know that for sure.

"The only blood they found on the scene was Webb's," AJ says quietly patting my back. "I know it isn't much, but it's something. I wish I had better news."

"M-Me too..."

"Shall I stay for a little while? Are you all right to be alone?" He sounds just like a father.

"I-I'm fine...I-will you call me and let me know where they take Clayton?"

"Of course. If you need anything in the meantime you call me. I don't have plans for the evening."

"I will AJ," I get to my feet again to see him to the door surprising myself when he stops in the doorway and I hug him.

I can tell I've surprised him too by the way he stiffens a little. "Take care and make sure you get some rest."

I promise I will and close the door, locking it before I walk through the house turning the lights off winding up in the living room again by Vic's chair. I want so much to close my eyes and open them to find that he's fallen asleep here so I can crawl into his lap and snuggle against him. Instead I have to settle for climbing in on my own and crying softly.

"Y-you told me you love me...Vic...you loved me and the baby...come home...come home to us soon..." Those are the last words I remember whimpering before I fall asleep.
 
*************************************************

0200 EST
George Washington Medical Center
Washington DC



I've made some rather unflattering discoveries about myself since AJ called to tell me that Clayton was being brought to George Washington Medical Center. The first is that I truly don't care about anyone besides Victor right now. I am sitting here in the waiting room pretending that I care about what is happening to Clayton and the truth is I don't give a damn. The only reason I hope he isn't dead is so that he can tell us where Victor is.

By us I mean the JAG staff. It looks like the entire JAG office has moved into this waiting room. Harm and Mac are talking with Clayton's mother, AJ is pacing by the large picture window. Even Harriet and Bud are here: mostly as moral support for me. Tiner's here too, somewhere. I think he brought little AJ to the cafeteria or something.

The second discovery I've made is just how bad I am at handling stress. My stomach is rolling dangerously and I can hear my heart pounding merrily away in my chest.

I've just decided to get up and walk to the restrooms again just to look at my pale face in the mirror, hoping maybe I will look better than I did an hour ago when a doctor walks in. Clayton's mother must know him because she gets up as he approaches her face hopeful.

"How is my son Dr. Reeves?"

"He's going to be fine. He has a concussion, a dislocated right shoulder, broken right arm and bruised ribs along with various abrasions, small cuts and contusions. He's asking to see an Austin Bradford and AJ Chegwidden."

I perk up at that and get to my feet wobbling a little with a sudden rush of vertigo. Of course everyone in the room notices it.

"Austin, are you all right?" Bud asks putting an arm around my shoulders to steady me while Harm and AJ move a little closer. Lord if I pass out I bet I'll have 3 Naval officers trying to move me at once.

"Fine...just stood up too quickly," I assure everyone before evading Bud's hold and walking to the doctor. "I'm Austin Bradford."

"Very good Ms. Bradford I'll take you to see Mr. Webb first."

"I want to go with her. I'm Admiral AJ Chegwidden."

Nothing like being protected by an ex-Seal, I think rolling my eyes for the doctor. He smiles faintly and nods his consent before leading us down the hall. I feel AJ take my elbow and look questioningly at him.

"You don't have to be Miss Independence all the time Austin. It's okay to let friends help you once in awhile."

I'm ready to reply when the doctor stops in front of a partially closed door.

"He's in some discomfort, as you might imagine, so please keep this brief: he needs rest."

I go in first trying not to gasp at Clayton's battered face. "Oh God..."

"You oughta see the other guy," he tries to joke in a hoarse, tired voice as one corner of his mouth tilts up in a smile.

"Where the hell's Gunny, Webb?" AJ growls from behind me.

"Not sure really...Vermont I'd assume...probably near where I was..."

I watched as Clayton paused looking at me as if he wished I weren't there. I was getting a sinking feeling that what he was going to say next wasn't going to alleviate any of my worry.

"...They...he...they beat him worse than me...he egged them on."

"Shit!"

I looked at AJ in shock, I'd never heard him swear before, then I looked back at Clayton. Suddenly I was angry too, but not just angry: furious. I wanted blood. Someone had to pay for this. "You son of a BITCH! YOU DID THIS! YOU CALLED VICTOR IN ON THIS! IF HE'S DEAD YOU'LL WISH YOU WERE TOO!"

I stalked up to the bed hands clenched into fists at my side sucking air in through my nose while I glared at the man lying there.

"I'm...sorry Austin...really-I didn't think...it would go to...hell."

"YOU ASSHOLE!" Boy was I on a roll now. I could hear footsteps rushing down the hallway and I was sure I was about to be escorted from the room. "YOU COULD HAVE CALLED RABB...BUT NO...YOU HAD TO TAKE VICTOR! HE'S GOING TO BE A FATHER DAMMIT!!!"

I started crying then, great tearing sobs as scalding tears poured down my face. Victor and I had just really managed to put our relationship back together and now I was going to lose him. There was no way Clayton would be telling us what he was if Vic was okay.

Arms closed around me and I lashed out popping someone in the chin. "LET ME GO!!!"

"Shh...shhh, it's okay, c'mon slugger...let's go for a little walk," AJ suggested softly in my ear.

"NOOOO...I WANT VIC...." That animal howl must have come from me, but right now I feel like I am watching a movie, like this is happening to somebody else. It isn't me sobbing hysterically, it's not me who punched an Admiral...and it can't be me who is going limp in the same Admiral's arms. It's a movie.

"Hit the call button Webb...she fainted."
 
I drift for a long while somewhere between sleep and wakefulness hearing what's going on around me, but not really caring. I can hear a doctor's hushed voice talking and Harriet's voice answering, something about too much stress and erratic heart rate, a previously undiagnosed heart murmur. Who cares? It's nice here in the dark and I can almost forget that Victor is missing, probably dead.

Finally I decide to rejoin the living opening my eyes to find myself in a hospital bed. I look around starting in shock to see Clayton Webb at my side.

"If you're planning on slugging me like you did the Admiral save your energy: Harriet beat you to it," he teased me softly before pulling up a chair. "How are you feeling?"

I shrug and look around again. "What happened?"

"You fainted. Apparently you're a little more stressed out than is strictly good for you or your baby. You've been sleeping about 28 hours now. I hope you're feeling better."

"Victor?"

"The Admiral and Rabb went to Vermont. They're going to find him. There was a call to your cell phone while you were out...we got a location lock."

"Is he okay?"

Webb looked away from me, even got up and moved stiffly across the room to the door. He opened it and stepped outside only for Harriet to come in a few seconds later.

"Hi Aus...I'm so glad you're awake. How are you feeling?"

"Okay, I guess. Harriet please be honest with me: Is Victor okay?"

Harriet wanted to lie to me, I could see it on her face: she wants to tell me he's fine, but she can't lie. Tears well up in her eyes and spill down her cheeks. "I don't want t-to...tell y-you this Aus..."

"Please Harriet?"

"The call that came in...he said Aus, I love you...then there was a shot fired," Harriet choked on the last words and sat heavily in the chair, weeping quietly.

My heart lurched in my chest but seeing Harriet so upset forced me to get past the pain quickly. She was my friend and I couldn't stand to see her hurting. "It's okay Harriet...really."

"B-But..."

"Don't say it...please...and even if that is true: I'll have my mini-marine," I sound pretty rational for someone who has probably lost the love of her life. There's a part of me that knows he can't be gone, I would feel different somehow.

Harriet wipes her eyes and looks at me. I guess she expected I'd lose control when she told me about the call. I think I will lose control later, but for now I'm okay.

"So, did you really hit Clayton?" I ask changing the subject so I can keep up the facade of being in control.

Harriet nodded. "After the call...he was giving orders and I just couldn't stand it: so I clocked him a good one."

I just smile and nod letting myself drift back to sleep where nothing can hurt me.
 
************************************************************</FONT></P>
 

Hey Aus, took you long enough to get here."

"Victor...oh god...you really are..." Austin whined softly taking the hand he was holding out to her.

He shrugged pulling her into his arms. "That's not important now Aus. What is is that I love you more than anything."
"I love you too Vic, but I need you with me."

"I'm always with you, right here," he held their joined hands over her heart.

"Please tell me you're alive, you can't be dead," her voice was a whisper as she looked up into his deep, dark eyes.

"I love you Aus."



^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^


1015 EST
George Washington Medical Center
Washington DC
 
 
 
That's it...I'm not sleeping again: EVER, I decide as I sit up with a gasp. I can still feel Victor's hands holding mine over my heart and I'm guessing this is not a good sign. Some dream that was: I felt like we were really talking. I give the IV bag over my head a suspicious glance: wonder if there's anything in there that would cause such vivid dreams.

"You're awake. That's great, feel like eating?"

I look over at Mac not feeling particularly like being social right at the moment. "Is it your shift now?"

She smiles and comes closer. That's one thing I like about Mac, she's not going to fall apart if I snarl at her. Harriet wouldn't either, but I always feel guilty snarling at my sweet friend. "It was Clay's idea so you can kick his six if you want to. He didn't think you'd want to wake up alone: I thought that was probably exactly what you would want."

"You're right, but I'm not going to toss you out. I'd really like to go home though."

Mac sighed and sat in a chair close to my bedside. "Dr. Gunderson, the doctor treating you, says he's not releasing you for 48 hours. He wants to make sure everything is okay. Your heart rate has normalized, which is good."

"Have you talked to Harm or the Admiral?"

Mac nodded and I could see something in her face and eyes for a split-second before she managed to cover it. "Harm called me at 0900 today."

I brace myself before asking my next question. "They found him?"

She nods and now I'm thankful it is Mac here, telling me this. She won't try to sugarcoat anything. She'll give me the unvarnished truth. "He was still alive."

"I'm guessing by your tone he wasn't doing well," I say matter-of-factly drawing my knees up to my chest protecting my growing baby.

"He was alive, Harm really didn't tell me more than that. I could tell by his voice it wasn't good though. They found him in Northeastern Vermont...Holland, I think Harm told me. The local hospital there had a helipad so they were going to get transport to Bethesda. Clay arranged for a helo to pick them up. They'll call as soon as they land."

"Mac, do me a favor and find my doctor. If he thinks I'm staying here while Vic is at Bethesda he's completely insane. I'll be better off at Bethesda anyhow: my doctor is there."

"Will do."

It took some serious arguing, and threatening, but finally I&nbsp;was released "AMA", against medical advice. Harriet and Mac are fine with it and think I'll be much better off being as close to Victor as I can be once he's brought in, Clayton is a wreck over the whole thing. He actually sits in the back of the Roberts' minivan with me arm crossed over his chest pouting like a 2 year old.

"What in the hell is your problem??" I demand, sick of the looks he keeps directing my way when he thinks I'm not looking.

"The Admiral told me if one hair on your head was harmed he was going to break my nose again. I imagine when he finds out you signed out of the hospital AMA he's just going to take me out on the roof and throw me off the edge."

"Oh please...stop whining or I'm going to throw you off the roof," I threaten making the spy smirk at me.

"You want to do that anyway, don't you?"

His voice is soft and serious and I can see it really bothers Clayton that something happened to Vic while he was helping him out. He's not the "Tin Man" everyone thinks he is, though I suspected that when he took so much care to talk to me after I found out about Fareeza Tarik. At first I figured it was just to cover his own butt or to make Vic jealous, but it always seemed like more than that. Like he genuinely didn't want to see our relationship ruined.

"Victor's a grown man, and a Marine. I'm not happy that he got hurt, but now that I'm feeling a little more rational I know I can't blame you. You've done a lot to protect him and keep his reputation from getting tarnished."

"Yeah, well you guys are a nice couple. I didn't want to see that ruined because of something that was my fault."

"Stop right there Clayton Webb...we all ready have one friend who tries to take the weight of the world on his shoulders at every turn. Harm would get pissed at you if you took his job," I smile while I speak and then shock myself and Clayton by leaning over to give him a hug.

"I know you tried to keep Vic safe," I whisper in his ear before straightening.

"You're one amazing woman Austin Bradford."


*************************************************


2110 EST
Bethesda Naval Hospital
Bethesda, Maryland



The call came just as we were pulling into a parking lot at Bethesda. Victor had arrived. He was holding his own, by sheer force of will from the sounds of it. A team of doctors and a trauma surgeon had whisked him into the ER and all the rest of us could do from noon until now was wait.

The doctor came out pulling a surgical cap off his head, the mask still hanging around his neck. He looked as tired as I felt when I rose to meet him, AJ flanking me like he had to protect me from what I was about to hear.

"We've done what we can and all I can say is Gunnery Sergeant Galindez has to have one hell of a guardian angel. That bullet should have killed him, but neither the neurosurgeon or I found any evidence that it had damaged any portion of his brain. Someone tried their best to beat him to death and with another few hours probably would have succeeded. Now it's up to the Gunnery Sergeant. We treated his physical injuries, he'll have to overcome the trauma of the wounds."

"When can I see him?" I demand. Victor's mother and sisters are on their way to Dulles right now and I don't want to have to pick them up without being able to tell them I've seen Victor.

"Give us another hour. He's in recovery at the moment, but we'll be moving him to the ICU."

I nod and turn to AJ. "Would you be able to go pick up Teresa and Victor's sisters?" I know he's rather fond of Victor's sister Maria and I know Maria thinks AJ is cute so I'm quite sure he won't mind a bit.

"My pleasure. I wasn't letting you go alone anyway," he answers in a gruff voice squeezing my shoulder. "Rabb, while I'm gone you're keeping an eye on our little mother here. Make sure she eats something."

"Aye, aye sir," Harm answers from his place beside Mac.

"You know of course I'm going to want a Beltway Burger," I smirk at the Commander making him groan and roll his eyes.

"Figures...I am surrounded by dead animal eaters."

The Admiral chuckles squeezing my shoulder again. "Whatever she wants Rabb...and no editorializing on the food."

Harm looks a little chagrinned at that. Not too long ago when Harriet and I were both still in our first trimester and prone to bouts of morning sickness he commented on Mac's lunch of greasy dead animal on a bun and sent us both to the head. I'd heard Victor almost went ballistic on him for that, holding back only because Harm was his superior officer. A week later when we'd had everyone at the new house for dinner Victor had made it a point to let Harm know if he ever made me sick again he was going to put his six on his shoulders.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


0045 EST



I walk into the ICU cautiously, tiptoeing, because I don't want to disturb the silence of the place. The only noise is the sound of machinery keeping people alive and two nurses talking quietly.

"May I help you Ma'am?" one of them asks with a kind smile as I approach with Victor's mother and his sisters.

"We're...um...we're here to see Victor Galindez," I answer in a timid little voice.

"Of course. Commander Weaver told us to expect you. I'll only be able to let one of you go in at a time for five minutes. The Gunnery Sergeant needs rest to aid his healing."
 
"So he is conscious then?" Maria asks in a hopeful voice.

"No, he isn't...but we've found that even patients who are being sedated while they are on a respirator have a change in brainwave patterns when loved ones visit. It's good for him to have a little of that stimulation, but not too much right now."

There goes my plan of camping in the chair by his bed waiting for him to open his eyes, I think looking down at the tiled floor. I don't want to see him only for a few minutes then have to leave. I want to be able to sit there beside him and hold his hand. I want to hold it over my stomach as our baby practices gymnastics inside of me and hope he can feel it.

"Austin?" Teresa calls gently breaking me out of my reverie.

"Hmm?"

"The girls and I think you should go in first. I know my Victor and it is you he's going to want to hear from first."

I only look at the older woman feeling tears wind down my cheeks as my lower lip starts to tremble.

"Now, now, no tears. You are my Victor's heart and soul. It is you he needs to see first. You and my little grandbaby," Teresa hugs me tightly and sends me off with the nurse
 
She leads me into his room and I stand close to the door trying hard not to look. I don't want to see the damage up close and personal.

"You should talk to him, touch him. I've been doing this for 20 years now and I've seen some amazing recoveries, especially when the family makes sure the patient is anchored here," The nurse says to me as she lifts the chart by Victor's bed and takes some readings from the monitors.

"I-Is he going to be okay?" Looking at him right now I can't imagine that Vic is even going to live. His bronze skin is nearly white under the bruises and stubble on his chin and cheeks. His head is wrapped in white bandages and I am trying my best not to imagine what it looks like underneath.

"Commander Weaver thinks so and I can see he has a lot to come back for," the nurse smiles and nods at my expanding waistline. "Will this be your first?"

I nod slipping closer to Victor's side, lifting his hand curling his slack fingers over mine. "This is our first baby...the first of many Victor told me. He's wants a houseful," While I talk I rub the back of his hand over my cheek hoping somewhere in there he knows I'm here.

"Of course he does: Men don't have to deliver babies."

"Vic will be in the delivery room with me."

The nurse smiles and laughs softly. "As long as he isn't like my husband and decides he needs something to eat at 3 in the morning while you're in the middle of a horrific back labor."

"You'd never do that to me would you love?" I coo softly planting a kiss on his swollen cheek.

"I'll leave you with him. If you have any questions or concerns buzz me. I know this looks frightening," she indicates the machines around his bed and the respirator taped in his mouth "but he really is doing well."

"It's just us now love," I whisper in his ear once the nurse is gone. "I'm glad you're home."

I guess I was expecting some response to the sound of my voice, but I get none. All I hear are the beeps and whirs of machines and I decide to check out his injuries on my own. I'd sat with Commander Weaver while he detailed Victor's list of injuries for me, but I'm more of a visual learner: I need to see something to understand it.

The fact that the bullet intended to kill him hadn't caused any discernible damage inside his skull still amazed me. I'd read some reports at one point, maybe in college when my roommate was premed, about gunshot wounds to the head not always killing the person. Depending on the angle of entry the bullet might just follow the curve of the skull and miss the brain.

I knew what contusions and abrasions were and they were in plentiful supply on Victor's face and upper body. Squares of gauze were taped over the worst of the scrapes on his chest and I touched my fingers to my lips before brushing the squares gently.

"I love you Victor. Mini-Marine does too," I can feel junior flipping around inside me and I put his hand over my stomach pressing in gently. "Can you feel that? That's our baby."

I'm trying to keep up the conversation, but I'm exhausted and biting back the tears is getting to be so hard. Just when I'm positive I'm about to break Victor's mother comes in with the nurse.

"My baby...oh my baby boy," Teresa wails.

Here's something I can do. I can forget my own pain and help Victor's mother with hers. Burying my emotions like this isn't healthy, but at the moment I have to. "Come sit beside him. The doctor says most of the wounds are superficial and they'll heal quite quickly."

Teresa allows me to lead her to the chair beside Victor's bed as she mops the tears from her eyes. Seeing him up close starts the flood anew and the nurse decides we can both stay.

"Your Mom's here love...come on Vic, just open your eyes. I know it's hard, but we need you love," I coax knowing it's much too soon to expect anything like that. He's heavily sedated so the intrusive respirator won't drive him crazy. In a few days when the respirator is removed and the sedating drugs are allowed to wear off I might be able to get him to respond to my voice, but not today.


********************************************


A week later
1000 EST
Bethesda Naval Hospital
Bethesda, MD



I walk out of the hospital for the first time in a week, practically dragged out by Harriet, who is insisting that I need some fresh air. Not that I disagree with her, but I want to be with Victor more. He's been breathing on his own for two days now and should he wake up I want to be there.

"See there's a whole world out here and you are a part of it," Harriet says to me as we walk the grounds.

"I want to be with Victor," I grumble.

Harriet nods. "I know exactly how you feel. Remember a year and a half ago when it was Bud in there? Who kept making me get up and take walks and go home for a little while?"

"That would have&nbsp;been me...annoying bitch, wasn't I?"

"No: you were being my friend and you were right. If I'd hovered over Bud 24/7 like I wanted to I don't think our marriage would have survived and I sure wouldn't be pregnant now."

"Well Vic and I aren't even married yet," God I'm being horrible. Someone ought to just slap me.

Harriet shrugs and keeps walking. "You needed to get out of there. Victor wouldn't want you sitting by his side all the time. He'd want you to go home and sleep and have meals with friends. Normal things."

"How do you know that?!"

"Because I know he loves you," Harriet answers in a soft voice echoing the words I used so many times to coax her from Bud's side.

"It's really not fair to use my words against me!"

We continue on in silence and I'm actually glad to be out here. I love the smell of Fall in the air and the warm sun on my skin. After the recirculated hospital air and fluorescent lighting this is wonderful.

"Has there been any change?" Harriet finally asks me.

"Not really...he still responds to pain, but he doesn't respond to voice commands: not even the Admiral ordering him to open his eyes."

"He responds to your voice, doesn't he though?"

I shrug, wiping away a few tears. "Not really. The first day he was out from under sedation he moaned once or twice when I spoke, but nothing since then."

Harriet pulls me over to a bench and pushes me down. "He's healing Aus...you know it and I know it and like the doctor said that's going to take all of his energy."

"I-I need him Harriet...wh-whole and b-b-better..." Okay the floodgates have been opened. Soon I'm sobbing hysterically while Harriet rocks me gently in her arms urging me to let it all out. When I stop sobbing and begin to calm down she hands me a wad of Kleenex from her pocket.

"There...don't you feel better now? You aren't superwoman Aus, you don't have to hold back the tears. Let Victor know you're upset: heck, get angry with him. I got angry with Bud and it worked wonders."

"They hurt him so badly Harriet...why would anyone want to do that? I know what Webb told us about them smuggling across the Canadian border, but how could they hurt another human being that way?"

"He represents the government to some people Aus. He's a Marine and some people hate our government so much they don't care about one human life."

I heave a deep sigh and wipe my eyes again. My little outburst felt good, but now I'm exhausted. I need a nap.

"You're tired aren't you?"

I nod then yawn to prove the point.

"Would you consider coming with me and taking a nap in a real bed? Your own bed?"

"I want to say goodbye to Victor first, but I think I need to sleep in my own bed and see the house for a little while."

Harriet smiles happily and I realize I've been set up. The whole goal of this walk was to get me to agree to go home for a little bit. Not that Victor won't be fine. Maria and Teresa are still here and they'll be more than happy to sit with him
 
 
**************************************************
 
1100 EST
Bradford/Galindez Home
McLean, Virginia
 
 
 
Harriet pulls to a stop in the driveway and I look warily at my home. The place Victor and I chose together after a fight of epic proportions where we'd both decided that we'd never be able to find a home we both liked. I had retreated to the bedroom of&nbsp; my apartment to sulk while he looked through the real estate section...


^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^


Flashback...


Victor flipped through the real estate section of the paper keeping one eye on the closed bedroom door. This was getting to be horrible. Every home he liked Austin hated and every home she liked he could find fault with. If it kept up much longer he was pretty sure their relationship was going to be over once and for all. 

He was trying to be patient and understanding with her, but he'd been ready to wring her neck when they'd arrived back at her apartment. A part of him was relieved that she'd gone into the bedroom and shut the door leaving him to cool down and gain some perspective.

Not that he didn't understand her feelings. A home was a big step. He remembered clearly the day his mother had been able to move into her little ranch home. He'd just finished his first year in the Corps and thanks to him having most of his check sent home to her, his mother had been able to afford a down payment. She'd been so excited about it and if he admitted the truth to himself, he had been excited too. Finally his mother would have a place of her own that she could decorate any way she chose without worrying about what a landlord would think.

The very little he knew about Austin's childhood revolved mostly around the foster homes she had lived in and how she'd never quite felt that she belonged anywhere. He supposed on some level this apartment was her security blanket and she was reluctant to leave. Austin didn't seem to understand that he wanted to be her security, that he would be sure she was happy and safe.

"And she's not damn likely to figure that out if I sit out here and stew," Victor sighed to himself pushing to his feet crossing to the bedroom, not even bothering to knock, just easing the door open. He found her sitting cross legged in the middle of the bed, hugging her pillow while she looked out the window.

"Hey you," Her voice sounded slightly husky.

"Hey, come here you," Victor sat down beside her opening his arms closing them securely around her once she leaned against him. "I love you Austin, you know that right?"

"I love you too."

"And this house is going to be a place both of us like. A place both of us want to grow old together and care for our kids and grandkids in. We'll find it eventually: it's not a race or anything."

"I know...I just want to be settled before the baby comes."

"We have almost seven months then my love, now how about we do a little relaxing?" Victor suggested pushing her back gently into the bed leaning down to kiss her while their hands explored each other's bodies.


^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^


Present



"Austin? Is everything okay?" Harriet's concerned voice finally reaches me and I let the memory go reluctantly.

"Fine...I was just thinking about the day Victor and I found this house listed in the newspaper. I never thought we'd find a place we both liked."

"But you did...let's go in. You look like you're about asleep where you're sitting."

I climb wearily from the vehicle and drag after Harriet into the house. I don't even bother to look around as I walk in, I head for the stairs.

"I'm going to go out and run a few errands. If I don't hear from you I'll be back at about 1400."

"I'm fine Harriet. I can get back to the hospital on my own," I'm lying.At this point, I'm not sure I can find my way to the bedroom much less navigate my car back to Bethesda.

"I'll be back: I'm not going to argue with you. Get some rest Austin, things don't look quite so bleak when you aren't completely worn out."

I finish the climb up the stairs and walk down the short hallway looking into the little room next to the master bedroom, the nursery. The only thing in there so far are rolls of wallpaper and a rocking chair. Victor has big plans for this room and he's told me it's a surprise, something he's doing for the baby and I.

Tears prick my eyes again at the thought that Victor might never get to fix up the nursery. Commander Weaver hasn't come out and said it yet, but I know he's worried by the fact that Victor hasn't woken up. Teresa doesn't seem concerned though, she spends all her time in the small chapel praying when she isn't with Victor. I admire her faith in God, but I don't share it right now.

"You are coming home Marine...you have to...this is our home, not just mine," I whisper turning to go into the bedroom yearning to be snuggled up in the middle of our king-sized bed. I feel like I could sleep for a week and I don't even bother changing, just flop down curling up on my side letting my leaden eyes close.

I don't know how long I've been asleep when I hear the front door open downstairs. I lift my head briefly recognizing Harriet's voice as well as Harm and Tiner. I smile sleepily thinking they must be planning on doing some things around the house. Far be it from me to stop them: the lawnmower and I are not on speaking terms.

I reach for my book on the night stand deciding I want to read for a little bit. Harriet was right, even with the small amount of sleep I got I feel better. Things are going to be okay: I am not going to be raising this baby on my own.

I wonder again about whether or not I want to know the sex. Victor doesn't, I know that for sure, but I'm on the fence about it. Some days I want to be surprised. Other times, especially when I see some really cute outfit I want to know whether I'm carrying a boy or a girl.

"Only five more months mini-marine...then your Daddy and I can meet you face-to-face," I whisper rolling onto my back to stroke the bulge of the baby. A flurry of movement meets my voice and touch and I giggle at the sensation. It feels like a bunch of wild butterflies loose in my stomach.

"Oh, you are awake...I brought you some lunch," Harriet steps into the room carrying a tray.

"The baby is moving so much right now...I can't believe there is really someone growing and forming inside of me."

"It is pretty awesome, isn't it?" Harriet giggles sitting down with me on the bed.

"Is labor really scary?" I ask. I've had so many people tell me it hurts but it's all worth it in the end.

"It hurts, but it's not really scary. Especially not if you have a good coach," Harriet answers with a smile. "And I don't think you can get a better coach than a Marine Gunnery Sergeant."

"Oh right...I can hear it now: Vic will forget what he's doing and order me to drop and give him fifty if I complain."

Harriet and I dissolve into hysterics at that point both of us imagining Victor falling into DI mode and treating me like a new recruit.

"I don't think you need to worry about that: Victor is going to be the proudest father ever. I heard him asking the Admiral one morning how many personal photos he could have on his desk. I think your little one is going to grow up thinking Victor has a camera permanently attached to his hand."

"I'm sure...I can't believe I agreed to get married on Christmas Eve: I'm going to be six months pregnant! What was I thinking?"

"That you wanted to unwrap a Marine for Christmas?" Harriet teases and we both blush furiously before cracking up again
 
"Harriet Sims Roberts! I AM SHOCKED!"

Harriet grins slyly at me "You're just shocked that you didn't think of it first."

"That too," I concede before feeling the seriousness of the situation settle over me again. "I just hope I get that chance."

"Oh Aus...of course you're going to get that chance: Victor loves you so much. The two of you are made for each other."

I shrug and lean back curling on my side among the pillows. "What if love isn't enough?"

"It always is Austin...even if the unthinkable happens you will always have Victor's love in his baby."

"I-I think I need...more sleep," I manage to force out around the lump in my throat.

"Okay, I'm just going to go downstairs and do a few things for you: laundry and such."

"You don't have to," I sniffle.

"Of course I do. Think of all you did for Bud and I. It's the very least I can do."

Harriet rubs my back gently for a while and I drift back into a doze.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


1900 EST
Bethesda Naval Hospital
Bethesda, Maryland



"I'm back sweetheart...did you miss me?" I ask in as perky a voice as I can muster while I lean over the raised bars on Victor's bed to kiss his cheek.

"He knew you were gone, he's been restless," Teresa informs me patting her son's shoulder.

"Poor love," I coo settling into the chair.

Teresa fusses around the room a little bit, rearranging the cards from his coworkers and friends on the windowsill adjusting the drapes until they let in a little bit of little bit of light. Then she just stands, I can feel her gaze on my back while I stroke Victor's face tenderly.

"If you are all right I will go to the Chapel now. Maria has gone out to dinner with Admiral Chegwidden."

"I'm fine Mama, thank you," I get to my feet and hug the older woman loving the feeling as she hugs me tightly back. I want to be her daughter-in-law, to know she cares about me and wants the best for me.

"You're a good girl Austin...my baby boy is a lucky, lucky man," Teresa pats my cheek and leaves the room.

I sit back down taking the book I've been reading aloud off the table by his bed. I'm not a big fan of Robert Louis Stevenson, but Victor is and I'm sure reading aloud is good for him. It passes the time and keeps me from bursting into tears at any rate so it can't be all bad.

I've read my way through one chapter of  Treasure Island when I hear a knock on the door frame and look up to see Manny standing there. I smile warmly and motion him in. "How long have you been there?"

"Long enough to think I'd be out of it too if you'd sit and read to me," Manny teases hugging me fiercely when I stand. "How you doing?"

"I'm fine...getting bigger and bigger every day," I pat my stomach to prove my point.

"You're taking it easy, right? Vic'd have my six if I don't make sure you're okay."

"Manny, the most strenuous thing I do every day is lift that book...sometimes walk a flight or two of stairs. Stop being a mother hen," I cuff him on the arm.

"Vic's lookin' better, huh? Has he woken up yet?"

"Not yet. His mother said he's been restless today though, so hopefully soon."

"That spook guy find out who did this yet?" Manny questions in a dark tone leaving no doubt as to what he would like to do to the people responsible for Victor's current state.

"I don't think so, but he's looking into it. Manny...promise me you won't do anything foolish: Victor is expecting you to be his best man at the wedding. I don't want you bruised and battered."

"I'm not gonna get hurt...but someone oughta pay for makin' you worry and doin' that to Vic. He's a great guy: didn't deserve that."

I'm ready to agree and admonish Manny not to do anything stupid when Victor moans. I forget everything else in the world at that moment, my focus narrowing down to the man I love.

"Vic? Love?" I lower the guard rails on one side of the bed and take a seat, pressing a kiss to his forehead watching his eyes moving under closed lids. "Open your eyes love: I'm right here."

He moans again the hand not skewered with an IV needle moving over the sheets. "Auu-sss..."

"Right here love," I put my hand over his and it stills while I watch one corner of his mouth tilt up slightly.

"Yeah... c'mon Vic...let's get a move on: you're wasting your last days as a single man layin' here!" Manny coaxes having the grace to look sheepish when I shoot him a dirty look.

"Wasting his time?" I arch my eyebrow and force myself to look upset. At this moment if it would make Victor open his eyes I'd let Hugh Hefner have a party with the Playboy Bunnies in this room.

"Open your eyes Galindez and save me! Your little lady's gonna rip me apart."

"Leave...'im...'lone...love," Victor scolds in a hoarse whisper as his eyes flutter open.

The waterworks have been turned on: I'm so happy I can't stop crying while I look into his bloodshot eyes. My bottom lip is clenched tightly between my teeth and I pull his hand to rest against my chest.

He smiles wearily, flexing his fingers so they brush against my breast.

"Hey, hey, hey...geez Galindez: the least you could do is wait 'till you're alone to feel her up," Manny complains.

Heat creeps up my cheeks and I know I'm blushing furiously. "Manny...do me a favor and go get Victor's mother: please. She's in the chapel."

"No problem," Manny shakes his head as he leaves and we can both hear him mutter "Christ...man wakes up for the first&nbsp;time in about two weeks and first thing he does is feel her up: lucky damn stiff."
 
"You're being awfully affectionate in public Marine," I whisper squeezing his hand.

"I'm not...well," Victor reminds me in a weak voice. As if I need reminding that he's been unconscious for so long.

I had just succeeded in blinking back my tears when his words start them again. He still looks awful: pale skin, yellowing bruises, his eyes are all bloodshot. Victor might have finally woken up, but he is a long way from all right.

"Don't," he pleads. "...gonna be...okay."

"But you don't look okay!" I snap dropping his hand stalking away from the bed. "I thought you were going to die! That I was going to be left with the house and our baby and be expected to carry on
 
"Aus..."

"NO! DAMN YOU, NO!" I spit. I'm not in the mood to be placated right at the moment. I want to rant, holler and shriek, and I'm going to do those things, just not right here. Giving Victor a furious glare I bolt from the room, nearly knocking Manny and Teresa down. I avoid the collision and keep going despite hearing someone call my name. I run until I'm out of the building on the path Harriet and I had walked earlier in the day.

My anger is spent for the moment and I slump on one of the benches shivering a little in the cooler evening air. Smart me, running away without a jacket. Maybe I can get pneumonia and scare Victor like he scared me.

I've never been much for long-term, serious relationships before, they're too uncertain. I dated plenty of men, I never lacked for company, but until Victor I'd never considered that I wanted there to be more to my life than companionship.

Now I knew I needed someone and I knew how deeply he could hurt me. I don't think anyone really, truly knew how close I came to ending it after Victor told me about Fareeza. Harriet had a clue, but she didn't seem too concerned about me now. If she only knew the number of times I contemplated ending my life I don't think she would let me out of her sight.

I shouldn't say no one knew: Bud did. He took one look at me the first time I visited him and he knew. I'd always thought Bud was kind of a doofus, sweet and kind, but not too swift. He proved me wrong in spades.


^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Flashback...



"Hey Harriet, why don't you and AJ go get some ice cream or something? Austin can baby sit for a few minutes," Bud suggested. He didn't like what he was seeing in Austin's eyes and he was determined to get her to talk to him.

"How are you Bud?" Austin asked tearing her gaze from his, keeping her eyes lowered.

"I'm thinking I'm doing a lot better than you right now," Bud answered softly leaning forward to lift her chin.

"I'm fine...Victor made his choice and now I've made mine."

"I can see that, but I don't think you made a very good choice."

"I have no idea what you are talking about."

"Austin don't lie to me," Bud growled fiercely. "You are not throwing your entire life away because some damn Marine is too stupid to keep his pants zipped."

"He's not just any Marine..." She whispered softly.

"Aus, please don't let this destroy you. You're better than that."

"I don't feel better."

"Then go out...Harriet says the Admiral's asked you to the symphony and several plays. Say yes...What could it hurt?"

Austin shrugged looking up with miserable eyes.

"It's going to be okay Austin...maybe not right away: but it will be okay."


^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^


Present



I remember crying on Bud's shoulder and promising him if I was ever ready to go over the edge I'd call him. Suddenly my hands are fumbling frantically through my pockets for my cell phone. I'm as close to the edge as I've ever been and I'm afraid this time despite my baby I won't be able to step back.

I find it and punch in Bud's cell phone number with shaking fingers. It rings and I pray that he'll answer.

"Hello?"

"Bud?"

"Austin, what's wrong?"

"Bud, help...I'm so scared."

"Austin: tell me where you are."

He sounds so calm. "I'm outside Bethesda on the walking path, sitting on a bench. Bud, I'm on the edge. Victor's awake...now...I-I-"

"I'll be there soon. Harriet and I just got to the hospital. I'll send her up to be with Gunny."

"H-Hurry...Bud...please..."

"Just hang on Austin. It'll be okay."

I close the small phone and put it back in my pocket wiping my eyes praying Bud will come soon. It doesn't take long before I see him coming. His limp is unmistakable.

"Austin, what's going on? Are you okay?"

I shake my head no and burst into tears again. So much for being strong.

"He's going to be okay Aus. He's awake now," Bud soothes putting an arm around my shaking shoulders.
 
I continue to cry letting all the worry empty out of my body, barely noticing when Bud's phone chirps for his attention.

"Hello?...Harriet, Hi. Yes I did...she's okay: a little upset."

I look up as he talks seeing the frown on his face.

"Just a second Harriet," Bud lowered the phone and looked at me. "Gunny's worried about you."

I nod and gulp in a lungful of air.

"We really should go in. Harriet says he's pretty worked up and the nurse is telling her it isn't good for him."

I nod again.

"We'll be there soon sweetie. Tell Gunny to take it easy."
 
Bud and I have just come into view of the side door I'd run out earlier when Manny jogged over.

"Man, Vic's practically climbing the walls. When I left they were talking about sedating him again," he blurted out putting his hand on my elbow.
 
I got the distinct impression that if I didn't move fast enough, Manny was going to pick me up and bodily move me back to Victor's room. I moved along with him, looking back over my shoulder to make sure Bud was able to keep up.

We stepped into the elevator and Manny let my elbow go. Thank goodness...I was starting to feel like a naughty two-year old having a tantrum: I needed to be dragged from the room.

None of us talk as the elevator rises which is just fine with me. I'm feeling guilty for upsetting Victor so much. It's not his fault that I'm a hormonal mess.

We step off the elevator and I know it can't be good. Teresa is scanning the hall from outside Victor's room and she rushes to us.

"Victor has fallen asleep again, Are you all right Austin?"

"I'm fine Mama, I'm fine. I'll go in and sit with Victor now," I promise hugging the older woman gently.

"Good...your friend Harriet is with him now...but I know it is you he's going to want when he awakens."

"I wouldn't be so sure about that, I ran out on him."

"Love forgives many things Austin and my Victor loves you."


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


0347 EST
Bethesda Naval Hospital
Bethesda, Maryland



I stretch in the cot a nurse brought me an hour ago, pulling the blankets up around my chin. I'm so tired I'm getting the shakes and I'm hoping Victor is going to sleep for awhile longer so I can catch a nap. Sighing contentedly I start to drift away feeling limp and heavy.

...Only to be brought back by Victor shifting in his bed. Okay, sleeping more than an hour a night has to be a luxury. I sit up and wrap a blanket around my upper body before walking the few steps to Victor's bedside and perching myself in the chair. I watch him shift while scrubbing my face with tired hands.

"Aus..."

"I'm here Vic, right here my love," I whisper leaning forward so my arms are resting on the guardrails up around his bed.

He turns his head and looks at me.

"I'm so sorry I ran out on you my love," One of my hands moves to stroke the side of his face.

"You...okay?"

"I'm fine sweetheart," I promise smiling tenderly. "You're looking a little scruffy though." I run my fingers through the hair growing on his cheeks.

He smiles lopsidedly back at me.

"You should try to get more sleep."

"You...need sleep...at...home."

"Sorry Jarhead, I don't have a car here. For some reason our friends seem to think I might be a danger on the road. I do have a really nice cot though."

"Sleep...with...me?" Despite the weariness in his voice I hear hope there too.

"Oh love, with your ribs and bruises I don't think you'd be very comfortable."

"Always with...you."

"Not tonight Marine. I'll sit right here though."

He sighs and closes his eyes briefly letting the conversation die away while I continue to stroke the side of his face and hum softly under my breath.

The tension in his jaw relaxes as he drifts to sleep again and I know just how weak he still is. Victor would never let this go without a fight. Ever since he found out I was pregnant he treats me like I'm incapable of caring for myself. If I yawn he automatically assumes I'm on the verge of exhaustion, now he's fallen asleep without insisting I get some sleep.

"Poor Gunny," I croon lowering one of the rails to rest my head on the edge of the bed next to his.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


0800 EST
Bethesda Naval Hospital
Bethesda, MD
 
 
 
"Ooh look!"

I blink sleepily and try to lift my head only to be stopped by the feel of a hand tangled in my hair. "Huh?"

"I'm sorry Austin, I didn't mean to wake you. Looks like Vic was awake during the night. Let me help you get your hair untangled," Maria says in a cheery voice stepping over to help me get her brother's fingers out of my hair.

He groans in complaint as I lift my head easing upright wincing at the pain in my back. Mini-marine lets a flurry of movement off as I straighten.

"Poor baby," I murmur caressing my belly. "Was Mommy trying to squish you?"

The fluttering stills under my touch and I settle back in the chair.

"An active one? Victor was too...I don't think he ever stopped moving." Teresa puts her hands on my shoulders squeezing and rubbing gently.

"Stop...talking...'bout...me."

"It is true Victor Galindez! You nearly broke my ribs with your constant kicking," Teresa scolds lovingly and I watch a blush creep up Victor's face.

"I hope our mini-Marine doesn't get the same idea."

"I want...to go...home," Victor rasps out looking hopefully from his mother, to his sister to me. The look he gives me is truly pitiful: he's using his deep brown eyes to their fullest advantage.

"You need to get well then," his mother answers in a no nonsense tone bustling around the room to open the drapes.

"Maria-take Aus...for food."

"I'm fine love, I'll just get something from the cafeteria."

"You need rest...and real food."

"Honey, you just woke up. I don't want to leave you right now," I whine trying not to think about how nice a warm shower and our bed would feel.

"Gimme a kiss...then go."

"He is right Austin: your baby needs proper food and rest. Victor will be fine here with me. Maria can bring you home...perhaps she can find the earring she lost last night."

"Mama, I lost that at dinner!" Maria cried.

Teresa Galindez smiled knowingly at Maria and I felt a genuine smile lighting my own face. Hmm...seems AJ might have been busy last night.

"Of course you lost it at dinner dear...and doesn't Admiral Chegwidden live not too far from Austin and your brother? Perhaps you could drop by and find it."

Victor chokes back a laugh and groans in pain while I stifle a giggle and Maria turns crimson. Have&nbsp;I mentioned that I love this family
 
 
************************************************
 
Three weeks later
1120 EST
Bradford/Galindez Home
McLean, Virginia



"How are you feeling Marine?" I question as I wander through the living room with a load of freshly washed and folded towels. It would have been much simpler to just go from the laundry room down the hall and upstairs, but this is Victor's first day home and I am finding every excuse I can to check on him.

He looks up at me and smiles faintly, shrugging his shoulders. "Pretty good. It's nice not to be poked and prodded every five minutes. You shouldn't be carrying that laundry basket, by the way."

"Sadly the clean laundry isn't trained to just walk up the stairs on its own yet," I quip before continuing on my way.

I'm so glad he's home now. Tonight will be the first night in over a month that we've been able to sleep in the same bed. I know he's still a little stiff and sore, but I want Victor to put his arms around me and press his chest&nbsp; against my back. I am looking forward to feeling his warm breath on the back of my neck while his hands rest on what was once my flat abdomen.

I pass the mirror Teresa gave us as a housewarming gift and groan at my reflection. Yes, I'm pregnant, no I have not gained an excess amount of weight, but I'm still feeling like a whale. That feeling is probably due in part to the fact that I don't own any jeans or pants that fit me any longer. When I first started to show I could get into my regular jeans, but now my belly prevents that. For the moment I'm left with only jumpers and dresses to wear.

Harriet has mentioned going shopping and I want to do that, but not anytime soon. I just got my Marine back home and I want to enjoy him. If I don't drive him nuts with my constant attention first. He's taking it well so far, but I can sense that Victor is getting a little tired of me checking on him every minute or two.
 
I'm stacking towels on the shelf in the bathroom when I hear slow footsteps coming up the stairs. "In here," I sing out.

"Hey baby, feel like joining me in a nap?"

"I could be persuaded," I toss back over my shoulder smiling to myself when Victor comes up in back of me and puts his arms around me.

"Yeah? Am I being convincing yet?" Victor asks in between dropping warm kisses on the nape of my neck.

"Mmm...very convincing...as long as you don't mind sleeping with a moose like me."

"Aus, you look beautiful...and that little bulge hardly qualifies you as a moose. You're pregnant sweetheart-" His hands have been rubbing over my stomach while he speaks and Mini-Marine makes his or her presence known with a sudden sharp kick that I know he felt since I saw my stomach actually move.

"Oh my." Did I mention that I am the best at witty come backs?

"Wow...guess this little one's going to take after you slugger," Victor teases making me groan. AJ took great delight in telling Victor about me punching him on the chin in Clayton's room during one of his visits. I've now officially been nicknamed "slugger" by the entire JAG office.

"You mentioned a nap?" I remind Victor turning in his arms so his hands are now resting on my bottom.

"I did, didn't I? It's going to be good to sleep in our bed again. Especially good to hold you."

We walk to the bedroom and I turn down the bed before turning to watch Victor get undressed.

He pulls the sweatshirt off first and I'm treated to the sight of the yellowing, faded bruises on his back. In fact his back looks like one huge bruise. I have seen his chest, but this is the first time I've seen his back and it makes me shudder. Almost as much as the extremely short hair on top of his head and the scar the bullet has left above his right ear. I try not to think about the scar from the neurosurgery that the doctor has assured us both will be covered when his hair grows back to its normal style.

As much as I try not to think about it, I know I came too close to losing Victor this time. The worst part is that trying not to think about something almost guarantees that it will be all I can think about. This is no exception and I sag to a seated position on the bed putting my face in my hands.

"Hey...Aus...honey, what is it?"

"I could have lost you...I almost d-did," I whine.

His hand moves into my hair, smoothing the brown strands back away from my face. "We can't live with the what-if's, Austin. You know it and I know it. We have each other and we need to focus on that and on building a safe, secure home for Mini-Marine."

"But Vic...your job...your career-" I don't know quite where I'm going with what I'm trying to say and I'm thankful when he presses a finger to my lips to shush me.

"My love nothing matters more to me than you. I've talked with Webb and we're even now...no more spook&nbsp;assignments. My only assignments are right here with you and being the Office Manager at JAG Ops."

We stay that way for several more seconds just looking at each other then slip into the bed and spend the rest of the morning and early afternoon dozing and engaging in serious make-out sessions.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

1930 EST



"Hey this is the best meal I've had in weeks!" Manny says with an enthusiastic sigh as he helps himself to another serving of the chicken casserole I'd made for supper.

"Not surprising since your culinary expertise amounts to using a can opener," Victor teases reaching for my hand as I pass by him to clear some of the empty dishes from the table.

"If Galindez ever pisses you off Austin you can come live with me...man I'll treat you like a queen," Manny laughs winking broadly at me.

"Watch it Bub...flirting with my wife-to-be might just get your six tossed out of here," Victor growls, spoiling his attempt to sound angry with the huge grin on his face.

"You let that Flyboy, Rabb, flirt with her," Manny counters his grin just as large.

"Please...he's a Squid. My lady wouldn't want a Squid!" Victor snorts and I cuff him gently on the shoulder pulling my hand from his grasp.

"I think I'd better go before the testosterone level in this room gets any higher." I leave the two of them joking with each other while I clear the table and store the leftover casserole in a plastic container. I'm going to send it home with Manny since I know for a fact he can barely heat up canned soup without needing the fire department to visit. Besides Victor and I have a freezer full of food thanks to Harriet's efforts. Maybe I should send Manny with the meatless meatloaf Harm made us, though I know he'd be sure I was trying to kill him. Tofu is not a word in Manny's vocabulary.

I didn't really like Manny when I first met him. He came on way too strong. With time and Victor's coaxing I started to see the man behind the facade and realized just what a sweet man he was. The thing that sealed it for me was when Manny saw Victor for the first time after he'd come home from Afghanistan.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Flashback...



Victor stepped warily out of his car aware of Manny's hostile glare. "Hey buddy."

"Hey."

The flat tone of his friend's voice made warning bells clang in Victor's head. He was in trouble now. Victor sighed and went around to the passenger's door, opening it for Austin, offering her his hand. "All right Manny...let's get this over with."
 
He'd expected Manny to get in his face and yell at him, nothing at all had prepared him for the fist which connected with his jaw making stars dance before his eyes.

"That's for making her cry you dumb SOB...and if I ever find out you hurt her again I'm going to stomp your six but good. Clear?"

"Crystal," Victor hissed rubbing his jaw. He should have known Manny would know about what had happened in Afghanistan. Not that Austin would have told him, but Manny was a Marine, he had ways of finding out what he wanted to know.

"You didn't need to punch him," Austin spat in an accusing tone putting her arms around Victor's waist.

"I sure did Ma'am. Galindez knows better than to treat a lady like he treated you," Manny answered in a firm voice. "I don't want him making the same mistakes I made."


^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Present



"Aus, Love?"

I shake my head letting the memory drift away. "Hmmm?"

"You okay? You look like you were a million miles away," Victor questions hooking a finger under my chin tilting it up so he can look in my eyes.

"Just thinking," I sigh moving into his personal space snuggling against him. His head comes down and my eyes close at the feel of his lips on the corner of my mouth.

"Aw hell...do you two ever stop?" Manny complains as he enters the kitchen.

"Not if I can help it," Victor grins coming up for air. Amazing how he can kiss me so well that I forget my own name and he's still able to carry on conversation.

"It's a wonder Chegwidden hasn't had to bring you up on charges at JAG!"

"What in the hell do you think they made supply closets for?" Victor asks with an arched eyebrow and a smirk.

"Okay...I know when it's time for me to clear out," Manny whistles.

"Before you go, take the rest of the casserole with you," I finally manage to come out of my stupor long enough to hand Manny the container.

"Thanks for dinner...don't wear him out too much," Manny teases me giving me a tight hug before thumping Victor on the back and going out the back door.

"So Miss Bradford, Ma'am...do you think you might let this Marine inventory your person?" Victor rasps in my ear while his hand cups one of my breasts.

"It might be a good idea...it has been some time since the last inventory," I manage to grind out as my own hand runs up and down the zipper of his jeans.
 
*********************************************
 
0430 EST
Saturday Morning
Bradford/Galindez home
 
 
 
I pad softly down the stairs rubbing sleep from my eyes as I move. After Victor initially woke up at Bethesda I got into the routine of getting up at 4:30, showering and dressing, being with him from about 6 until 8:30 then on weekdays running to JAG to be sure I didn't get too far behind on my mountain of paperwork. After work it was back to Bethesda until 9:00 or so and then home to bed. The routine was ingrained in me and even though I didn't need to be getting up now I hadn't been able to sleep.

It was much too early for coffee, the very idea was making my stomach gurgle in a very unpleasant way so I settled for a glass of water and went to the living room taking a seat on the sofa to look over the plans for our wedding. In a little more than a month I was going to be Mrs. Victor Galindez and the RSVPs were still flooding in. I hadn't opened yesterday's batch and was wondering how many would contain notes suggesting that Victor and I get married back in New Mexico to save the travel expense for his family.

Daisy came to join me when she heard the first envelope being torn open. She loved batting them off the coffee table and scattering the cards on the floor just to see if she could get a rise out of me. I ruffled the hair on her head and crumpled up the envelope lobbing it out into the hallway so Daisy would leave me in peace for a little bit.

I pulled the two stacks of RSVPs from a shoe box adding the one I'd just received to Victor's much larger pile before checking off the dinner choice on the sheet from the caterer. I stopped, &nbsp;looking at the stack of replies from people I'd invited comparing it with the stack of Victor's friends and family. At least my side of the church would be fairly empty. It would be able to accommodate all the people who wouldn't fit on the groom's side.

Settling back into a corner of the sofa I pulled a blanket down and over my legs before lifting the remaining stack of replies. Thankfully I think I had heard from just about everyone we'd invited so the onslaught of mail should be slowing somewhat. The next envelope in the pile was from Clayton Webb. I opened it and was surprised and more than a little angry to see that he'd indicated he wasn't coming.

"Oh no you don't Mr. Spook!" I grumbled lifting the piece of paper which had fluttered to my lap. A personal note. Wonder what excuse Clay had managed to come up with, not that it mattered: he was coming.

"Austin and Victor," I read softly "I don't think it would be appropriate for me to share in this day with you. Thanks to my stupidity your wedding almost did not come to pass. Best wishes, Clayton Webb."

"No way Clay...you are coming to this if I have to sic AJ on you," I grumbled adding Clay's card to my pile. I'd had some inkling that Clay felt responsible for what had happened to Vic, but I thought he was dealing with it. Apparently he wasn't dealing with it as well as I thought he was. It was a bit early to call him, even though I had his personal cell phone number, but before the day was over Clayton Webb and I were going to have a long talk.

Victor didn't blame him and he shouldn't be blaming himself. I still blamed Clayton on occasion for what Victor had gone through, but even I knew deep down Victor had put himself in harm's way. The last time I'd talked to Clayton had been when he'd called to tell Victor that the men who'd beaten them were no longer a threat. I remember feeling at the time that that had to be some nice way of saying they were dead, but I didn't ask for more information. Something in Clayton's tone had made me decide to keep quiet.

The rest of the envelopes contained yes replies and I added them to the appropriate piles before tucking the cards away and sitting back with my list for the wedding. "Harriet, matron of honor, Manny, best man; Bud, Harm, Mikey, Tiner, Sturgis, ushers...Mac, Maria, Isabella, Sonja and Valerie bride's maids...AJ will be giving me away...it sounds good in theory. Let's see how it goes in practice."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

1010 EST



Fresh from the shower and wrapped in an old flannel robe Victor refuses to wear I hear the doorbell chime. Victor is still asleep so I hustle for the stairs, not wanting him to wake up until he's ready.

Harriet, Bud and little AJ are on the other side of the door. Bud has a huge picnic basket in his arms and I look at them in confusion. "Good morning...Did I forget you were coming over?"

"Nope you didn't," Bud assures me with a smile. "Harriet got a work crew together today to get the yard work done for you and Gunny."

As he finishes speaking AJ comes down the street crossing into the driveway followed by Mac, Sturgis and Harm in Harm's SUV. I'm sure Tiner will be along any second, but there is one person I am hoping I am not going to have to deal with today. I follow Harriet into the kitchen.

"Please tell me Singer isn't going to be coming here. I can't have her in my home!"

Harriet looks at me as if I've lost my mind. "Of course she's not coming. Dear God...do I look nuts?"

"This is great Harriet. You guys are way too kind...I guess I'd better go get dressed before I play hostess."

"Here...some maternity clothes my mother sent me. Brand new, but I have a closet full of stuff. I thought you'd be able to use them." Harriet hands me a bag and I peak in, thrilled to see the flowered leggings and sweatshirt on top.

"Oh thank you!!! Now I don't have to wear a dress today!" I hug Harriet then make my way back to the stairs welcoming our friends, telling them to make themselves at home while I dress.

I enter the bedroom to find Victor pushing to a seated position looking sleepy and bewildered by the noise coming from downstairs. "Good morning my love."

"Morning," he answers kissing me gently. "Are we having a party this morning?"

"Harriet has a work crew together. They're going to do the&nbsp;yard work for us," I reply closing the bedroom door before I walk to my dresser, letting the flannel robe fall to the floor as I go. I hear Victor's sharp intake of breath and I guess he's enjoying the view.

"Think they'd mind if we didn't go downstairs for awhile?" Victor suggests joining me in front of the dresser running his hands over my skin.

"The adults might not, but I guarantee little AJ will. I'll be happy to give you the same show tonight Vic."

"I'm holding you to that love," Victor warns before disappearing into the bathroom for a shower of his own.

I make the bed and dress, studying my form critically in the mirror. The bedroom door eases open and little AJ pokes his head in.

"Hi Authie! Where's Gunny?" the little boy asks running in to jump in my arms.

"He's taking a shower. How about if you and I go down and help your Mommy out?" I don't remember Victor taking any clothes into the bathroom with him and while I love seeing him naked I don't think Bud and Harriet want their son to have that experience.

We go downstairs and I busy myself helping Harriet set out the food she brought. Victor joins us about 5 minutes later with a baseball hat on his head to hide the scars from his ordeal. He looks cute leaning against the kitchen counter making small talk with Harm who has been put in charge of cooking the eggs.

I walk over and stand beside him surprised when he puts an arm around my shoulders tugging me in for a quick kiss on the top of the head. Usually in front of our friends he won't indulge in any displays of affection and I expect his arm to move when the Admiral comes into the kitchen, but it doesn't. He holds out his free arm to shake the Admiral's hand.

"Feels good to be home, doesn't it?" AJ asks smiling at the two of us.

"Damn good Sir," Victor answers with a nod.

"Rabb are you cooking any bacon to go with those eggs??"

"Bacon and sausage Sir...I wouldn't want you meat-eaters to go hungry."


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


2100 EST



"Just you and me kiddo," Victor says from his place behind me in the door as he waves to the last of our friends.

"Good...I feel like I haven't had a second alone with you in two days," I sigh.

"It's going to get worse before it gets better Sweetie. Mama is coming back in another week to help with the wedding...then the girls are going to come," He turns me around to face him. "I promise you though: Christmas Day it is just going to be you, me and Mini-Marine. We'll have a very quiet family Christmas."

"Won't Mama and your sisters be upset?"

"It was Mama's idea Aus: She knows we're going to need some time alone after the wedding," Victor puts his arms around me and sways me gently. "Hey, wanna dance?"

"Sure...maybe we can decide on the song for our first dance."

"Sounds good to me," He leads me into the living room and leaves me standing in the middle of the room while he cues up the CD player and dims the lights.

The opening strains of Garth Brooks' song, The Dance flood the room and I bite my lip as Victor comes back to my side. It's not long before the words of the song have tears building in my eyes.

"Hey...no tears love. I wouldn't be missing this dance with you for the world," Victor whispers in my ear pulling me a little closer.

I nestle my face in the curve where his neck and shoulder join letting the tears slide down my face.

"Austin: don't cry about what's over and done. I was never going to check out on you love. I knew you were there with me and I wasn't going to leave you. It didn't matter to me how long I had to fight. I was coming back."

"I love y-you Victor," I lift my tear-stained face to look at him.

"Love you too Aus...now let's just dance and enjoy this quiet."
 
We do just that, moving together in the quiet of our home while I let go of the what-if's and might-have-beens, basking in the knowledge that I am not on my own any longer.