Gunnery Sergeant Victor Galindez Fanfiction

Home

Fanfiction Index | Contact Me
Lifetime of Regrets
DISCLAIMER:
The JAG concept, and the characters of Admiral Chegwidden, Sarah Mackenzie, Harmon Rabb, Jr. , Bud Roberts, Harriet Sims, AJ Roberts, Jason Tiner, Loren Singer, Clayton Webb and Victor Galindez are the property of Bellisarius Productions, Paramount Television, CBS-TV and related entities. No copyright infringement is intended. This story is purely for entertainment purposes and no profit is being made. 
 
This story may not be copied or reproduced elsewhere without the consent of the author. Written by Jen. September 2002.
yum3.jpg

This is a wonderful story, by a wonderful author. If you enjoy it, please consider sending Jen a note to let her know. Just click on the link below. Thanks so much Jen for letting me post this story here!
 

"Gunny, the Admiral would like to see you in his office ASAP," Petty Officer Tiner said coming up to him in the break room.

"Thanks, Tiner, I'm on my way," Victor replied setting his coffee cup down on the counter and making his way through the bullpen.

Victor wondered what he had done to be summoned to the Admiral's office in such urgency.

"ENTER!" Admiral Chegwidden barked when Victor knocked on his door.

"Gunnery Sergeant Galindez reporting as ordered, Sir!" Victor said as he stood at attention in front of his CO.

The Admiral looked down and frowned at the paper he held in his hands.

"At ease, Gunny.  Take a seat."

"Gunny, I wasn't aware you had ever been married," Admiral Chegwidden said quietly.

"Excuse me, Sir?" Victor asked, confused at how his commanding officer had found out about his ex-wife.

"Victor, I don't know how to tell you this, but in my hands I am holding a Red Cross message from your mother. Maria phoned me this morning concerned because they couldnt get a hold of you last night. It seems your ex-wife, Marissa, was involved in a very serious car accident last night around 2200 hours," Admiral Chegwidden said looking up.

"Sir, is Marissa is she going to be alright, Sir?" Victor asked, his throat tight with emotion.

"Maria said she is in ICU and listed in critical condition.  Apparently some mutual friends of yours all went out last night, and one of them, an Alex Thompson, got very drunk and decided to drive himself home. Maria said that Marissa jumped in his truck to stop him, and he took off before she could take his keys out of the ignition."

"Mr. Thompson ran a red light and was struck in the passenger side by a bus. The truck flipped twice throwing him from the vehicle. Marissa was smart enough to have put on her seat belt.  Mr. Thompson died instantly.  Marissa has been in and out of consciousness, but never for more then a few minutes at the time.  She has been calling for you.  As of now, I am placing you on Family Leave of Absence. Tiner is working on your travel plans right now," Admiral Chegwidden said, concerned by the look on the younger man's face.

"Yes, Sir. Thank you, Sir," Gunny said quietly standing up.

"Victor, if you need anything, and I mean anything, give me a call day or night," Chegwidden said seriously.

"I will, Sir." Victor stood at attention.

"Dismissed." AJ handed the Red Cross message to him.

Victor turned to leave; stopping at the door, he turned around.  "Sir?" Victor said in a shaky voice.

"Yes Gunny?" Admiral Chegwidden said coming from behind his desk.

"Sir, I don't know what I am going to do if she dies. I still love her, Admiral," Victor admitted as tears filled his dark brown eyes.  He hated showing weakness in front of his CO, but Marissa was the one weakness he could never hide.

"Pray Victor; that is all I can tell you to do. And if by some chance she makes it through this, take it as a second chance and don't let go of her this time," Admiral Chegwidden said wisely extending his hand to Victor.

"I will, Sir, and thank you," Victor replied shaking his COs hand, then leaving his office.

Victor stepped off the plane and found his mother waiting for him.  'She looks tired; knowing Mama she hasnt left the hospital,' he thought to himself as he walked up to her.

"Welcome home, Son; have you eaten?" Teresa Galindez asked, giving him a hug and wishing she could take the pain away that she saw in his eyes. 

"No, Mama, I haven't, but right now I just want to get to the hospital and see Marissa," Victor answered quietly.

"Victor, you need to eat," his mother replied concerned.

"Mama, please. I promise I'll eat just as soon as I see my wife," he said with a sad smile.

"I knew it; you never wanted the divorce, did you?" his mother asked gently.

"No, I didn't. Now can we please just get to the hospital?" Victor asked as they walked out of the airport and to her car.

"Victor, if you didn't want a divorce, why did you give up so easily? I never raised you to be quitter," his mother almost sounded angry.

"No, you didn't. I didn't give up; I just did what I thought would make Marissa happy. She was miserable near the end, and that is the last thing I wanted, so I agreed to the divorce." His words were a whisper; he did not want to have this conversation.

He knew he could never give his mother reasons she would understand. Victor didnt understand why Marissa had wanted a divorce. So how could his mother?

"Mama, how badly is Marissa hurt?" Victor asked changing the subject as his mother began driving the 15 miles to the hospital.

"She has a broken right arm, three broken ribs, and a severe concussion.  She had some internal bleeding, which they had to stop with surgery. She has been in and out of consciousness a few times and each time it's for longer periods. Each time she has come to, she asked for you." She answered him quietly, not wanting to tell him she had no memory of what happened or that she thought she and Victor were still married.

"Who has been sitting with her since she came out of surgery?"

"Maria and Miranda both have been sitting with her. I couldn't get either one of them to leave."

"Oh great. Miranda is going to be thrilled that I'm here," Vic said sarcastically.

"Actually, it was Miranda who asked me to see if you could come home, not that I wasn't going to try anyway," she said smiling over at him.

"Mama, are we talking about the same Miranda Carlson? Miranda Carlson who told me if I so much as looked at her twin again she would have her husband, Bobby, shoot me?" Vic asked in a shocked voice as they walked into the hospital.

"You would be surprised, Victor, at how much Miranda has changed since Bobby was killed. Those girls have been through a lot in their lives. They haven't had it easy; Miranda believes you may be the one person that can bring Marissa out of this," she said gently as they rode the elevator up to the second floor.

Victor stopped just outside Marissas room and took a deep breath.  'God please let her make it through this,' he silently prayed. 

"Go on, Victor."

Victor forced himself to walk through the door. His heart was pounding madly as he stared at the woman lying in the bed.

"Hey, little brother," Maria greeted him with a hug.

Victor stood in the doorway and looked at Marissa's battered face and body. If he didn't know better, he would have sworn he was looking at a stranger. He could barely recognize her.  "How is she?"

"She is resting comfortably; the doctor was just in. Miranda went downstairs to get some coffee."

"God, Maria, how why did this happen?"

"I don't know Vic; all I know is that she needs you right now. Every time she has woken up, she has called for you.  I have to tell you though - she was awake for a while this morning and she doesn't remember the two of you being divorced - and we didn't mention it.  She got really worked up when she realized you weren't here. Doc Santos told us not to mention the divorce and to just tell her you were on your way."

Shocked, Victor looked at his sister. "Maria, we have been divorced for four years and were separated for a year before that."

"Vic, she received a severe blow to the head. It's not uncommon for someone to lose parts of his or her memory after something like that. Especially painful events in their lives."

"Loosing you was perhaps the most painful thing that ever happened to my sister," Miranda Carlson whispered as she walked into the room.

Victor looked up quickly at the voice he heard.  "Hello, Miranda."

"Thanks for coming home."

"Did you really think I wouldn't? I still love her, Miranda, whether you believe that or not," Victor whispered moving to stand next to Marissa.

Miranda and Maria watched as Victor gently touched the bandage on Marissas head. 

"She still loves you, too." Fighting back tears, Miranda watched as Victor gently stroked her sisters face.

She couldnt understand why her sister would give up the one person who loved her unconditionally.  Everyone thought that Miranda hated Victor. But she had never hated him at all. It was pure jealousy.  Her sisters husband was kind, gentle, and loving. Everything Miranda had wanted in her life. Her own husband had been controlling and abusive, just like their father.  Marissa had escaped the cycle of abuse that had haunted them since childhood only to throw away the best thing she ever had.

"If she loved me so much, why did she leave me?" Victor asked quietly.

Miranda gazed at her sister, then looked up at Victor. "I probably shouldn't tell you this, but you have the right to know.  Our father convinced Marissa that she was ruining your life. Marissa knew how much the Marine Corps meant to you. Daddy told her that you left the Corps because of her. That if you were single, you'd still be doing what you loved instead of being stuck in a job you hated. He told her that if she let you go, youd go back to the Corps and be happy." Victor looked at her incredulously.  "Marissa believed him, Victor. She thought you got out because she had the miscarriage and you weren't here for her because you were stationed over in Cuba.  Then when you got shot here as a Deputy and decided to reenlist, she knew Daddy was right."

"Miranda, why didn't you ever tell us this before?" Maria asked in an angry whisper.

"I should have, but Bobby told me to stay out of it. He said it was none of my business," Marissa said quietly.

Victor stared at Miranda, the anger he felt showing in his eyes.  "If you had told me this, I could have saved my marriage."

"I'm truly sorry, Victor. You're right, you probably could have. Maybe this is a second chance for the two of you. I mean Marissa doesn't even remember getting divorced," Miranda said softly.

Shaking his head, he laughed. "Miranda, if you think for one minute that I am going to lie to your sister, then you are out of your mind.  I have never once in our entire life together lied to her. Not before we were married or after, and I won't start now.  I love her too much to do that."

Maria walked up to Victor and touched his shoulder gently. "Vic, we aren't asking you to lie to her; just don't mention it."

"And just what am I supposed to do when she suddenly remembers we aren't married anymore? She is going to think I lied to her, and she'll be right!"

"Look, Doctor Santos thinks it will do more harm then good if we tell her that the two of you have been divorced for the last four years. She needs to get her memory back on her own."

Victor sat down in the chair next to the bed and buried his face in his hands. "Can you two just give me some time with Marissa alone? I have a lot of thinking I need to do."

"Sure, Vic; we'll just go grab something to eat. Do you want us to bring anything back for you?" Maria asked gently.

"Yes, please. I promised Mama I would eat as soon as I saw Marissa," Victor said with a sigh.

"Alright, we'll be back in about an hour."

"Maria, Mama looks pretty tired and so do the two of you. Why don't you go home and get some rest. I'll sit with Marissa. I'll call if anything changes."

"You're right; Mama does look tired. I'll ask the nurse to order you a tray," Maria said as she walked out the door.

Miranda went to follow Maria, but stopped and turned around. "Victor, my sister is really lucky to have someone love her as much as you do. I just hope she realizes it."

"Thanks, Miranda; so do I," Victor whispered as she closed the door behind her.

Victor took Marissa's hand in his and lovingly kissed her knuckles.  "Come on, Sweetheart. I need you to wake up for me," he said quietly. "I wish it was me lying there; I'd give anything for it to be me instead of you.  Please, just wake up so I know you're going to be alright. I love you so much. I can't stand to see you like this. I swear to you, if you wake up, Ill never leave you again," Victor said, his emotions getting the best of him.  He finally gave in and cried the tears that had been threatening to spill since Admiral Chegwidden broke the news to him that morning.

"I should have fought for you - for us. We have lost so much time together because we were stubborn.  My life seems so empty without you in it. I can't believe you thought I would be happier being in the Corps than with you. You were what made me happy, not the Corps. Your father is an idiot," he said shaking his head.

"Mr. Galindez?" a nurse asked coming into the room.

Sitting up and wiping his eyes, Victor turned around to look at the woman who was waiting patiently by the door.

"I'm Samantha Michaels, Mrs. Galindez's nurse. I need to check her vitals, and you have a call at the nurses' station. She said to tell you it was Lt. Sims," she said with a gentle smile.

Standing up, Victor leaned over and placed a kiss on Marissas forehead. "I'll be right back, Honey."

"She is going to be fine," Samantha said when Victor seemed hesitant to leave.

"Thank you, Miss Michaels. You don't know how much I needed to hear that."

"Please, call me Samantha."

Victor smiled and headed for the nurses' station.  "I'm Victor Galindez. Nurse Michaels said there was a telephone call for me?"

"Yes, Mr. Galindez; line two," the elderly nurse who sat behind the desk replied, handing him the phone.

"Thank you."  Victor punched the button that would connect him to Lt. Sims.  "Gunnery Sergeant Galindez."

"Hello Gunny; I just wanted to make sure you made it home alright."

"Yes, Lieutenant, I made it home just fine. Thank you for your concern," Victor said tiredly.

"If you need anything, even if it's just someone to listen, promise you'll call us."

"I will Lt. Sims, and I'll call as soon as there is a change in Marissa's condition.  I hope the Admiral isn't angry that I never mentioned I'd been married before," Victor said, remembering how angry he had been with Col. Mackenzie when her ex-husband had shown up out of the blue.

"I wouldn't worry about that Gunny. Your private life is your own, and you only have to share what you feel comfortable with."

"Thank you, Lieutenant. I should really be getting back to Marissa. I'll call as soon as there is a change in her condition."

"Alright Gunny. Talk to you soon, and our prayers are with you," she said gently.

"Thanks, I really appreciate that. Goodbye."

Victor hung up the phone and smiled his thanks to the nurse.  When he walked back into Marissa's room, Samantha was just finishing up.

"How is she?" he asked moving back to his chair next to her bed and picking up her hand.

"I think she just might be waking up soon. She was more responsive then she has been. Keep talking to her; having you here seems to be helping," Samantha said smiling down at him as she made some notes on Marissa's chart.

"Ma'am, my sister said Marissa didn't remember that we were divorced and that the doctor didn't want anyone to tell her. Why is that?"

"Why don't I get the doctor for you and he can answer whatever questions you have," she suggested as an orderly brought in Victors dinner.

"Thank you," Victor said as the nurse gathered her stuff to leave.

"Sorry I had to leave you, Sweetheart. That was Lt. Sims on the phone. She wanted to see how you were doing. She is such a nice person. I think you would really like her. She is in the Navy. She is married to Lt. Roberts, one of the JAG lawyers. Val went out with his brother, Mikey, when she came to visit me in DC."

Victor pulled the cover off the plate and began to eat. He wasnt really hungry, but he had promised his mother he would.  "When you get out of here and are feeling better, I'm going to take you home with me. I want you to meet my friends.  I want you with me in DC. I don't think I can leave here without you."

"Gunnery Sergeant, I'm Doctor Miguel Santos. I understand you have some questions and concerns that need to be addressed?"

Victor looked up to see the doctor wasn't much older than he was.  "Yes, Doctor, I do. Thank you for coming to talk to me. Call me Victor, please."

"You're welcome. Why don't we step out into the hall, Victor?" Doctor Santos suggested making his way to the door. "I ran into your sister on her way out, and she told me you weren't too happy that I didn't want you to tell Marissa about the divorce."

"I guess I'm just concerned that she is going to think we all lied to her. I mean if I pretend we are still married, isn't that going to confuse her when she remembers the truth?" Victor asked as they walked down the hall.

"Marissa may very well remember that the two of you are divorced. I'm not sure because she hasn't been awake for very long periods of time.  However, when she has been awake, she has asked for you. That is why I am assuming she doesn't remember."

"When do you think she will wake up?" Victor asked.

"That is hard to say she could wake up in a few hours, a few days, or a few weeks. It all depends on her body and how fast it heals itself. She has been through a traumatic experience, both physically and mentally. If what Miranda Carlson tells me is true about your wife's past, it could be that her mind has, in a sense, shut down for a while to allow itself to heal and process what has happened.  Marissa got into that truck with the intent of stopping Mr. Thompson from driving drunk. When she wakes up and realizes she failed in her mission, she is most likely going to blame herself. Miranda told me that Marissa has a tendency to take on the burden of guilt over situations she has no control over.  Is this true?"

"Yes, Marissa is the type of person who tries to fix everyone's problems, and when she can't, she figures she failed them somehow," Victor said with a poignant smile.

"Victor, how do you feel we should go about informing her of Mr. Thompson's death? You know her better than I do," the doctor asked thoughtfully.

"I think we should tell her the truth if she asks. Marissa doesn't take being lied to lightly. I think we just need to assure her that it wasn't her fault."

"Good answer; it's the one I had hoped you would give me.  In that case, maybe we should let her know that you are divorced. I will leave that decision up to you," Doctor Santos said smiling.

"Thanks, Doc, for everything you're doing for my wife."

"You're quite welcome. Now I'm going to stick my nose in where it doesn't belong; I hope you don't mind. My son is in Marissa's History class, so I know her through the school. She is a good woman. My wife died last year, and Marissa helped Michael through losing his mother. Take this as a second chance, and don't let go this time. Fight for what you want. I'm only saying this because I see how much you obviously love her. If you didn't, you wouldn't be here now." 

"I plan to Doc, believe me. Besides you're not the only one who told me that today. My CO told me the exact same thing just this morning."

"Must be a smart man," Doctor Santos said with a smile.

"One of the smartest and wisest men I know," Victor replied sincerely.

Miguel looked at Victor and noticed the dark circles under his eyes. "It's getting late. Why dont you try and get some sleep? You can use the extra bed in Marissa's room. We won't be moving a patient in there tonight."

"I'll try Doc, but I'm not promising anything."

"I could give you something to help you sleep. You're going to need all the energy you can get when Marissa wakes up."

"Thanks Doc, but I'd rather not. I want to be able to wake up if Marissa needs me."

"Please Victor, call me Miguel," Miguel said as they started to walk back to Marissas room.

"I'll see you later; I think I am going to try and get some sleep."

"I'll be here for the next 24 hours if you need anything."

Victor walked into Marissa's room and sat down in the chair next to her bed. He made the sign of the cross and began to pray. "In the name of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Ghost. God, I've got a favor to ask of You. I know I don't have the right to, but if You could see to it that Marissa comes out of this, I swear Ill never let her down again.  I didn't fight for her when I should have, but I'm fighting for her now. I need her; please don't take her from me - from us. She doesnt deserve this. She was trying to stop Alex from killing himself or someone else. Please God; don't let her die for trying to help someone she cared about. I don't think I could go on if she died.  Amen." Victor crossed himself and leaned over to kiss her tenderly on her lips. "I love you, Sweetheart."

Miguel was right, he needed to get some sleep; he wouldn't be any good to Marissa if he was exhausted.  He wasn't only physically tired, he was mentally exhausted. "I'll just sleep for an hour or so," he told himself, lying down on the bed on the other side of the room.

Sometime during the night he awoke with a start. Sitting up he listened carefully. Then he heard it. Marissa gave a small groan, and Vic shot from the bed and to her side. "Marissa, it's alright; I'm right here," he said, gently sitting down next to her on the edge of her bed.

"Vic you're here?" she whispered, her voice scratchy.  Her eyes were still closed but he knew she was awake.

'Thank you, God,' he silently prayed.  "Yes, Sweetheart, I'm right here," he said, gently taking her hand in his.

"I heard your voice; I thought it was a dream. What are you doing here?"

"When I found out what happened, I came right away."

Suddenly she flinched and looked frightened.

"The accident is Alex alright?" she asked, her eyes filling up with tears.

"Let me get your doctor, Honey; he needs to know you're awake," Victor said standing up to go to the door.

"Don't leave me," she whispered tightening the hold she had on his hand.

"I'm not going anywhere, Honey." 'Not even if you tell me to,' he added silently.

Victor decided to push the call button on the wall; he didnt want to leave her either.  He was afraid if he didn't keep her talking, she would fall unconscious again.

"Yes, Mr. Galindez?" a nurse replied.

"My wife is awake. Can you page Dr. Santos, please?"

"Right away, Mr. Galindez," the nurse said sounding surprised.

Turning back to Marissa, he asked, "Do you remember what happened?"

"I went out with Tamara and Stephanie. Alex was at the Blue Moon and he was really drunk. He and Michelle had broken up and he was out looking for a fight.  I tried talking him into letting me drive him home, but he told me he was driving himself home. He left the bar and I caught up to him in the parking lot. I stepped in front of his truck and Billy Johnson you remember him, don't you? He was standing behind him.  Alex threatened to run me over if I didn't get out of his way.  Billy told me to move. So I did.  I jumped into the passenger seat of Alex's truck. I tried to grab his keys, but he took off before I could. I remember putting on my seatbelt because Alex was driving like a maniac. I don't remember anything after that."

Marissa had just finished recounting what she remembered when Doctor Santos walked in smiling.

"Welcome back, Marissa."

"Hello, Miguel."

Victor wasn't sure if he liked the smile Marissa gave the doctor.

"How are you feeling?"

"Like I was hit by a Mac truck. My head hurts."

"Close, you were hit by a transit bus, and your head hurts because you hit the windshield. Victor, I need to check Marissa over. Why don't you go call your mother and Miranda and let them know Marissa is awake."

"Are you going to be all right if I leave to go call Mama?" Vic asked stroking her cheek.

"Yes, just don't be gone too long," Marissa said smiling up at him.

"Missed me, didn't you?" Vic asked mischievously.

"Yes, I did," Marissa said as Vic closed the door behind him.

"That man loves you; you know that, right?" Miguel questioned as he began checking her over. It was obvious to him now that she remembered getting a divorce.

"Sometimes love isn't enough, especially when the other person is miserable."

"Were you miserable? Did he tell you he was miserable?"

"No, he didn't have to; I could see it in his eyes."

Miguel shook his head in disbelief. "I think you two have some serious talking to do. You love him and he loves you. You belong together."

"How is she Doc?" Victor asked coming back into the room about 15 minutes later.

"She is going to be just fine. Marissa, I am going to have one of the nurses wake you up every hour to make sure you arent going to lapse back into unconsciousness again."

"Ill wake her up, Miguel. Don't worry about that."

"Alright. If you need anything, just have the nurse page me again."

"We will," Marissa said quietly.

Marissa waited until Miguel had left the room, then she nervously looked at her ex-husband.  "You never answered my question."

"What question was that?"

"Is Alex alright?"

Victor sat down on the edge of the bed and gently took her hand in his. He wasn't sure how he should tell her. He knew Marissa, and she wasn't going to take Alex's death well.

"Honey, Alex Alex didn't make it. He was thrown from the truck. He died instantly and felt no pain."

"OH, GOD!" Marissa cried.

Victor took Marissa in his arms and rocked her gently. "Sweetheart, it's going to be alright."

"No, it's not! I tried to stop him!"

"Yes, you did. And if Alex hadn't died in the car accident, he sure as hell would have wished he had when I got through with him."

Marissa looked at him in shock. "How can you say that? He was our friend."

"Because he put you in danger. He almost killed you. For that I won't forgive him."

"Victor, I put myself into danger by jumping into that truck."

"Maybe, but Alex should have stopped right then and there."

Marissa thought about what Miguel had told her and wondered if he was right. 

"Victor, why are you here?"

"Why do you think I'm here?"

"Because your mother and Maria made you come?" she answered with a shrug.

"Wrong, I came because I wanted to.  Because I needed to be here with you."

Marissa laughed, as an image of Maria badgering Victor into coming home crossed her mind.

"What's so funny?"

"Nothing, I was just picturing Maria badgering you until you agreed to come home."

"Maria didn't have to badger me. I didn't even talk to Maria or to Mama until I got here." Victor was getting annoyed that Marissa didn't believe him.

"Yeah sure, you never come home unless Teresa or Maria make you feel guilty."

"Marissa, I am telling you right now I came home because I needed to make sure you were alright."

"You didn't have to come home; it's not like I'm your wife anymore." Marissa was surprised when she saw Victor flinch at her words.

"You're right Marissa, you aren't. But if you remember correctly, that wasn't my choice, now was it? You let some abusive drunk convince you of something that wasnt even close to the truth.  I loved you Marissa; I didn't hate being a Deputy. I hated that the people I worked with were incompetent fools. I wasn't miserable because I had left the Corps, and the only reason I reenlisted was because you left me and filed for divorce. I couldn't stay here and see you every day not when I loved you more than my own life."

"I'm sorry, I didn't mean it the way it sounded. I know you care about what happens to me and you were concerned. I never meant to imply otherwise."

Victor walked over to the window and looked out. He wouldn't let her see how hurt he was. "Why don't we just drop the subject for now; we can discuss this when you're home and feeling better."

"Alright, Victor," Marissa whispered fighting back her tears as she watched Victor build a wall around himself.

"Mama, Maria, and Miranda will be here first thing in the morning, so you better get some rest while you can."

"Victor, you look tired. Why don't you go home and get some rest," Marissa suggested, knowing neither one of them would get any sleep because of the other.

Victor moved to lie down on the bed he had been using earlier.  "I'm not leaving, so just forget about it."

"Good night, Victor," Marissa whispered as she yawned.

Victor looked over and in the dim light he could see Marissa was already asleep. She was so beautiful even with all the bruises.  He couldn't remember a single night when her beautiful face didnt haunt his dreams. He thought about all the nights he had lain awake just watching her sleep while they had been married.  If he had his way about it, when he went back to DC, Marissa was going back with him.  He wanted to introduce her to Harriet and all of his coworkers.

Yes, he was taking Marissa home with him; he just had to figure out how to go about accomplishing the task. He would need to enlist the help of his sisters. Maria would jump at the chance of getting him and Marissa back together and so would Valerie, Isabella, and Sonja. He would call a family meeting just like in the old days and draw up a battle plan.   Victor closed his eyes to rest them until it was time to wake Marissa up and check on her.

Victor was so tired he fell promptly to sleep; he didnt even hear the nurse come in every hour to check on Marissa.

He woke up the next morning to see Marissa sitting up in bed and his mother and Maria sitting next to her talking quietly.

"Well, good morning, Prince Charming," Teresa Galindez told her son, kissing him on the cheek.

"Morning, Mama."

Maria stood up to give her brother a hug. "Good morning, little brother."

"Morning, Maria. Marissa, how are you feeling?"

"I am starving," she replied flashing him a smile.

"Good, let me get the nurse and see what time your breakfast tray will be brought up."

Maria waited until Victor had left the room and turned to Marissa.

"You're not angry that we notified Victor, are you?" she asked concerned.

Smiling, Marissa shook her head. "No, Maria; it's fine. It's good to see him again."

"He insisted on staying here at the hospital until you woke up. I have never seen him so worried."

Teresa looked down at her ex-daughter-in-law and smiled sadly. "I wish the two of you could work out your differences. The two of you belong together."

"I don't think that is going to happen, Teresa. We started to talk last night, but I made him angry and he didn't want to talk about it anymore."

"How did you make him angry?"

"I told him he didn't have to come home just because I was in the hospital.  Then I made a comment about us not being married anymore. He got angry and informed me that the divorce wasn't his choice. That if I hadn't listened to my father, we would still be together."

"Marissa, why would you say that to him?" Maria asked gently.

"I don't know. I just wanted him to know that he wasn't obligated to be here."

"Marissa, he is here of his own free will because he wanted to be here. No one forced him."

Victor walked into the room carrying a tray of food, and everyone immediately quieted.

"How come I get the feeling you all were just talking about me?" Victor asked.

Maria looked at her brother and laughed. "Because your ego is bigger then your brain, little brother."

Victor grinned down at his sister and stuck his tongue out at her. "Very funny."

"Do you do that often, Victor; stick out your tongue? I can imagine AJ's reaction to your doing that to him when he says something you don't like."

Marissa looked from Maria to Victor and was confused.  "Who is AJ?"

"Maria means my commanding officer, Admiral AJ Chegwidden." Victor turned to Maria and raised an eyebrow. "Since when did you become so familiar with my boss and start calling him by his first name?"

Maria looked away and turned bright red. "None of your business, little brother." 

"Oh, God! My sister is seeing my boss," Victor groaned causing Teresa and Marissa to laugh.

"We talk on the phone on a regular basis. We have been since his fishing trip to New Mexico last year. We started talking on the phone after you were shot transporting that Marine deserter."

Marissa let out a gasp. "You were shot last year?"

Victor glared at Maria for letting that bit of information slip. He hadn't wanted her to know and had sworn his mother and sisters to secrecy.

Victor walked over to Marissa and sat down on the edge of her bed. "It wasn't anything serious Marissa; as you can see, I'm fine."

"Why didn't anyone tell me?"

"I didn't want to worry you," Victor answered, lying through his teeth. He hadn't wanted her to know because he figured she wouldn't have cared anyway.

Marissa was angry; he was bold-faced lying to her. "Worry me yeah right. You just didn't think I would care. I'm not stupid, Victor Galindez; I know how your brain works," she replied in a huff.

Victor stared at her in amazement. 'Why is she so angry? She's the one who left me,' he thought to himself.

"And for your information, I do care about what happens to you, regardless of the fact that we are divorced.  I think it's time for you to leave," she added turning towards the window so he wouldn't see the tears in her eyes.

Victor looked at her and could tell she was trying to hide her feelings and tears. "Marissa, come on. It's not like that. I just figured it wasn't something you'd care to hear about. I'm sorry."

"I mean it, Victor. I want you to leave; I don't want you here. Go back to Washington."

"I'll go sit out in the waiting room, but I'm not leaving here until I know that you're out of the hospital and at home," he told her moving towards the doorway hoping she would stop him. She didn't, so he walked out into the hallway and nearly collided with Miguel.

"Slow down, buddy; what's your hurry?" Miguel Santos asked seeing the pain in Victor's eyes.

"Marissa just threw me out of her room. She found out something and got angry because I didn't tell her the truth," Victor said shaking his head.

"What do you plan on doing about it?"

"I don't know, Miguel. But what I do know is that she can throw me out of her room, but she can't force me to leave her again. I'm staying right here in this hospital until she realizes that I love her and that is why I'm really here. I will not leave her again."

Miguel looked at Victor and smiled sadly. He hated to see to people who obviously loved each other kept apart by their stubbornness. "Well, that's a good start, but I have a feeling camping outside her door is not going to change her mind."

Victor sighed and shook his head. "What do you suggest I do then?"

"Why don't you try telling her that you love her, and that you aren't leaving until you have worked things out?  You're a Marine, for God's sake, Victor! I'm sure you have been in worse situations than this and come out of it alive. What are you afraid of?  Her or something else?"

"I am not afraid of her. I just know Marissa, and she won't believe me. She has never believed in me. If she did, we would still be together now."

"Just try, Victor. She needs to know that you still love her, that somebody does. From what I have heard, her father is a real piece of work who couldn't love anyone but himself."

"All right, but if it doesn't work, I am holding you responsible," Victor said teasing the doctor.

"All you can do is try. I'm sure you can be very persuasive when you want to be," Miguel grinned.

Victor took a deep breath and stepped back into Marissa's room, and all three heads turned to look at him. From the look on Marissa's face, his mother and sister must have been letting her have it good.

"Marissa, I'm not leaving until you hear me out. If you want me to leave after you have heard every word I have to say, then I will go back to DC and never bother you again."

"You've got five minutes, so you better talk fast," she told him angrily.

Teresa and Maria got up to leave but stopped when they heard Victor speak.

"Mama, Maria, I would like you to stay for this."

"Victor, I think it would" Teresa said, but stopped at the pleading look she received from her son.

Marissa, you have called all the shots from the time we split up. I only went along with the divorce because I thought you wanted it. I didn't want to get a divorce;  I loved you, but you never believed me, nor did you believe IN me. You let your father convince you that I would be better off without you and that the only reason I had left the Marine Corps was because of you. You never once asked me what I wanted; you never gave me a choice. You just threw me out of your life like I was some kind of offending piece of trash not to be bothered with. I loved you, and the sad part is that I have spent every day since then loving you. I came here because I wanted to, not because anyone forced me to. I came because I wanted to be here with you.  Then when I got here, I was told every time you woke up, you asked for me. Now that you are awake, you don't want me, and do you know why that is? It's because you're afraid. You're afraid to admit to yourself and to me that you made a mistake. Well, let me tell you something: if you throw me out of here, I won't come back. You'll have to come back to me. You love me; I know you do," Victor said trying to keep his emotions in check.

"You're wrong, Victor. I don't love you, and I don't want you to be here. You're free to go back to whatever life you were leading in Washington," Marissa told him, causing both Teresa and Maria to gasp.

"You got it, Honey. Just remember, I'm not coming back. You'll have to come to me now," Victor told her, his face a mask of steel hiding the raging emotions as he turned and left the room.

"I can't believe you!" Maria said turning on her ex-sister-in-law angrily.  "My brother just poured his heart out to you, and you thrust a knife into it!" she added when Marissa failed to say anything. 

Maria turned to follow the path her mother had taken when she went after Victor.

"One day you will regret doing this, and I don't know if Victor will wait for you to come to your senses."

Maria left the room leaving Marissa alone for the first time since the accident.

Marissa's hands shook as she covered her face with them and sobbed. "I already do, Maria, but it's for the best."


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


It had been two weeks since Marissa had uttered the words that had shattered his heart. He knew she was out of the hospital and back home; Maria had called and left a message on his answering machine. He hadn't been in the best of moods since he left Taos and didn't want to take it out on her.  Everyone at work only spoke to him when it was absolutely necessary. Tiner had made the mistake of asking him another stupid question and had gotten his head nearly bitten off. No one understood what was going on with him except for Admiral Chegwidden who had called him into his office this morning. Maria was worried about him and called AJ to make sure he was all right.

Victor sighed and poured himself another glass of Jack Daniels. "Suck it up and drive on Marine, she doesn't want you. So why are you torturing yourself?" he asked himself, as there was a knock on his door.

'Who the hell?' he thought storming over to the door and wrenching it open with a glare.

It was Mac; she was standing there looking at the glass in his hand. "That isn't going to help you any, Victor," she said gently.

"Maybe not, but it will make me forget what a fool I am," he whispered stepping back to let her pass.

"You're not a fool, Victor; you're in love."

"Yeah. Too bad it's one sided," he whispered swallowing the contents of the glass and setting it down.

Mac watched sympathetically as he put away the bottle of alcohol and then sat down on the couch across from her.

"What are you doing here, Colonel?" he asked.

"I'm worried about you."

"Ma'am, no offense, but I'll be fine; I'm not planning on hurting myself or anyone else for that matter."

"Didn't think you were; I just thought you might need a friend to talk to."

Victor looked at her sideways. "How did you know what was going on anyway?"

She looked at him and smiled. "I knew you went home because your ex-wife was in an accident, and then you came back a couple of days later. I put two and two together. So do you want to talk about what happened?"

"To make a long story short, I poured my heart out to her and she trampled all over it for the second time."

"And you didn't stay and fight did you?" she said critically.

Victor looked up defensively. "She didn't want me there; she told me she didn't love me and to go back to whatever life I was leading here in Washington."

"Victor, obviously you don't know a thing about women. Did you ever think that maybe she wanted you to fight her on it?  I dont know Marissa at all and I can't say what she was thinking, but the Admiral did tell me that while she was unconscious, she was calling for you. Maybe when she woke up and realized you came, she thought she was upsetting your life," Mac told him gently. "If she didn't love you, she wouldn't have been asking for you when she was out of it. Think about it Gunny."

"I don't know what to think anymore, Ma'am."

"If I were you, I wouldn't give up without a fight," Mac said seriously.

Victor smiled over at Mac. "Then why do you Ma'am?"

"Why do I what?"

"Give up without a fight? You're in love with Commander Rabb, and I know he loves you. So why aren't you together?"

"Gunny, we are talking about you and Marissa, not Harm and me," she said uncomfortably.

"Yes, we were, but you asked me and now I am asking you the same question."

"Because Harm and I can never be; we don't want the same things," Mac responded sadly.

"With all due respect, Ma'am, that is bull shit."

"Okay, Gunny, since you think you're so smart, why do you think it is?"

"Because you're scared. You think you don't deserve him, and it's easier to push him away than hold on tight to what you want more than anything else."

"Hmmm interesting concept. Could be that Marissa feels the same way, don't ya think?" she asked with a pleased smirk.

'Damn, I walked right into that,' Gunny thought looking at her.

"Could be, you and Marissa's backgrounds are similar. Her father was a drunk and abusive; he beat their mother and the girls every chance he got. He loved to be in control of everyone around him." Victor continued by telling Mac what he had found out from Miranda. By the end of the conversation, he felt a weight being lifted from his shoulders.

Mac looked at him and smiled. "Deep in your heart do you believe Marissa loves you?"

Victor thought for a moment and answered, "Yes, Ma'am, I do." 

"Then we need to come up with a game plan for you to convince her to come back to you."

"We?" Victor asked, looking at her in surprise.

"Yes, Victor. I am here as your friend, not as an officer."

"Thank you, Mac, you dont know what this means to me."

Mac smiled at Victor, "Oh, I think I do; that's why I'm going to ask you for your help with Harm."

"Mac, if whatever we come up with works, you'll have my undying gratitude."

"Let's get to work then."


****************************************************


Marissa walked into her classroom at Chamisa Mesa High School and was bombarded by her students.

"Mrs. Galindez! You're back!" they said, obviously happy to see her.

"I can see you all missed me," she said with a grin.

"Nah, we are just glad Mr. Rivera ain't teaching us no more," Raul said with a grin.

"Isn't teaching us any more, " Marissa automatically corrected him out of habit.

"Same thing," he muttered.

"Acutally it isn't the same thing. Ain't isn't a word," Carlos told him.

"Shut up before I pound you into dog meat," Raul said galring at the boy across the room.

"Enough! Raul take your seat," Marissa said shaking her head. Raul Santiago and Carlos Sanchez had been at each other's throats since the start of the school year.

"I'm glad you are alright, Mrs. Galindez," a shy young female said.

"Thank you, Marta; that means a lot to me," Marissa said smiling.

"Everyone open your books to Chapter 23, I want you to read the chapter, and before the end of the class we are having a quiz," Marissa said eliciting groans throughout the room.

"Her first day back and she gives us a quiz," someone muttered.

"Juan, I could make it a full-fledged test if you would prefer."

"No, that is alright; we will take the quiz," he said grinning at her.

"I thought so."

The rest of her classes went smoothly, and by 3:30 she was exhausted. Miguel had warned her about going back to work so soon, but she needed to work in order to keep her mind off her troubles.

Last night's phone call from Victor was on her mind constantly. She couldn't get the words out of her mind. She had wanted to call him but refused to pick up the phone. She was in the teachers' lounge when she bumped into Nina, the High School Counselor and a friend from her days as a student here at Chamisa Mesa.

"I'm glad you're back," Nina said giving Marissa a hug.

"Thanks; it feels good to be back."

"You alright?"

"Just tired that is all."

"Listen, don't push yourself too hard; I know Rivera said you could take extra time off, so why don't you?"

Marissa shook her head and sadly smiled. "I need to be at work to keep my mind off of things."

"What kinds of things?"

"Victor."

"Victor? As in your ex-husband, Victor?" her friend asked, the shock apparent in her voice.

"The one and only."

"Want to talk about it?"

"I don't know, maybe. Why don't you come by after work and we'll sit and talk."

"I'm there! I'll bring the Ben and Jerry's. It sounds like you could use some."

'I could use more than Ben and Jerry's,' Marissa thought sadly.

Marissa shook her head to clear the image of Victor from her mind. "I'll see you at my place, say in an hour?"


**********************************************


Victor walked into the bullpen, sat his cover on his desk, and went to go look for Tiner. He wasn't at his desk or in the break room, but he did find Lt. Sims. "Ma'am, have you seen PO Tiner?" he asked casually.

"Good morning, Gunny. I believe he ran down to Records for the Admiral. If I see him before you do, I'll tell him you're looking for him," Harriett said smiling.

Victor smiled at her, "Thank you Ma'am; I would appreciate that."

"You're welcome, Gunny."

"Gunny?" Harriet called as he went to walk out.

"Ma'am?"

"If ever you need someone to talk to, I am a very good listener."

Gunny grinned; Harriet Sims was probably the nicest person he worked with. She was always willing to listen to someone else's problems. It didn't matter if she was going through her own problems herself, she was always willing to be there for her friends.

"I may just take you up on that, Ma'am. Thank you. I know I have been a real pain in the six the last few weeks, and I apologize."

"Apology accepted; don't think another thing about it."

Victor nodded and followed her out of the break room. "I better get back to work."

Victor reached his desk just as Tiner walked through the door of the bullpen.

"Tiner, do you have a minute?" Victor asked as Tiner scurried past his desk.

"Yes, Gunnery Sergeant; just let me deliver this file to Admiral Chegwidden," Tiner said apprehensively.

"I'll see you in a few minutes then." 'Mac must be right; Tiner is never so formal with me,' Victor thought as Tiner made his way to the Admiral's office.

Within minutes, Tiner was standing in front of his desk at parade rest. "You wanted to speak to me Gunnery Sergeant Galindez?" Tiner said his posture stiff and rigid.

"Yes Tiner. Why don't we take a walk," Gunny said smiling when he saw his cohort in Operation Marissa, looking out of her door at them.

"If it's all the same to you, Gunnery Sergeant, I would prefer to stay here," Tiner said looking over Victor's shoulder.

"Very well, Tiner; I just wanted to apologize for snapping at you the other day. It had nothing to do with you, and I just wanted to let you know that I didn't mean what I said," Victor said quietly.

"Sorry, Gunnery Sergeant, I didn't hear what you said; could you repeat that a bit louder?" Tiner asked with a smirk.

"I said I apologize for snapping at you the other day; it had nothing to do with you. It will never happen again," he said loud enough so the entire bullpen could hear him.

"Apology accepted, Gunny, and thank you."

"You're welcome, Tiner. Now get back to work," he said giving the younger man a grin.

"Yes, Gunny," Tiner answered walking away feeling better.


****************************************



Marissa had just walked into the house and put her purse down when the phone rang.

"Hello?" she said breathlessly.

"Hi, Marissa; it's Miguel. I just wanted to see how your first day back at work was?"

"Long and tiring, but I'm okay," she said sitting down on the couch.

"Michael told me you were back. I thought we had agreed you weren't going back for at least another week or two?"

"You agreed. I said I would think about it."

"Stubborn woman," he said good-naturedly.

Marissa sighed, her eyes darting to the picture of Victor again. "Sorry. I know you didn't want me to; I just couldn't stay in this house any longer."

"Too much time on your hands?"

"Too much time to think," she whispered.

"He loves you. I don't understand why you don't love him."

"It's not that, Miguel, I couldn't begin to make you understand. Hell, I don't understand it half of the time."

"You'll figure it out, kiddo; just give it some time."

"Thanks, Miguel; I'll talk to you later. I think Nina just pulled in."

"Don't forget you have a check up Thursday morning."

"I won't, Doctor Santos," she said laughing as her doorbell rang.

Marissa hung up the phone and called out for Nina to come in.

"I come bearing sugar," her friend said smiling.

"Cool! Let me get some bowls."

Nina shook her head and held up the bag, "No way, when you're depressed you eat out of the carton. That is why I bought pints!"

"You're so good to me," Marissa teased.

Marissa went into the kitchen and grabbed two spoons and hurried back to sit next to Nina on the couch.

"Ok, girlfriend. Spill it. What is with all these thoughts about Victor?"

"He was here."

"When?"

"Right after I was in the accident. Maria called his commanding officer because she couldn't reach Victor, and he put him on Emergency leave."

"Why didn't I ever see him?"

"Probably because he spent the entire time he was here at the hospital."

"I came to see you three days after you woke up, and I didn't see him."

"I uhh I told him to leave"

"YOU DID WHAT?!" Nina said almost shouting, cutting off the rest of Marissa's words.

"That isn't all I told him I didn't love him and I didn't want him here, that he could go back to whatever life he was leading in Washington DC."

"Have you lost your mind? The man comes home because you are seriously injured and you tell him to leave and that you don't love him? Marissa that is nuts. He obviously still loves you. If he didn't, he wouldn't have come," Nina said gently.

"I know, but it was for the best," Marissa said coming to her own defense. Obviously no one else was on her side.

"The best for who? I know it isn't for you, and I know it isn't for him."

"Nina, why can't any of you understand this? Victor deserves better than me. I am so screwed up because of my father, it isn't funny."

"Would you just get over your little 'pity me' act! It's seriously pissing me off! Yeah, so your dad is an asshole; he isn't worth the energy you use to put yourself down with. Victor knew about your past in school and he knew about it when you married him. He didn't care, Marissa; he loved you, for better for worse. When the times got hard, you quit and threw it all away. He came back when you needed him the most. He seems to be there when you need picking up. Shit I wish I had a man who loved me that much," Nina said ending her tirade with a sigh.

"Don't you think I know I screwed up? I just don't know how to fix it!"

"Have you talked to him since he left?"

"Not exactly."

"What do you mean 'not exactly'?"

"He called last night, but he didn't say anything and he hung up before I could," Marissa said quietly.

"Then how did you know who it was?"

"Who else would play The Dance over the phone?"

"Oh, GOD, that is so romantic!" Nina said tears coming to her eyes.

"What do I do?" Marissa asked sadly.

"First of all, do you love him?"

"Yes."

"Do you want him back?"

"Oh, God, yes!"

"Two can play his game. Give me a couple of days. If he calls again, don't say anything; just listen."

"Are you sure? He said if I ever wanted him back, then I had to come to him."

"Do you trust me?"

"Of course I trust you; you're my best friend."

"Good, do you think Maria would help us?"

"Uhh...I don't know. She is pretty pissed at me, and rightly so."

"Just leave everything to me."

"I hope you know what you're doing," Marissa said quietly.

"I thought you said you trusted me?"

"I do."

"Alright then. I'm going home to plan this out. If he calls, call me at home," Nina said giving Marissa a hug.

"Nina, thanks for listening."

"I'm a psychologist. Who better to talk to?" she answered on her way out the door.


*******************************************


Victor walked into his apartment and threw his duffel bag down on the floor. He was dead tired. Two days after his first phone call, he had been sent out to the USS New Jersey on an investigation with Lt. Roberts. Bud figured it would take about a week to wrap up the investigation, however he hadn't been expecting the key witness to be murdered, starting up a whole new investigation.

One week turned into two, and finally he was back home. Looking at the clock, he noticed it was 3:30 in the morning. "Damn, it's after midnight there. I can't call her now," he said looking at the phone.  "Hell, who cares! I'll have the element of surprise," he said grinning for the first time in two weeks.

Victor walked over to his stereo and grabbed his Daryl Worley CD, popped it in, and programmed it to play I Miss My Friend. Then he sat down and dialed Marissa's number.

Marissa woke up to the sound of the phone ringing. 'This had better be an emergency,' she thought as she reached for the phone. She was not one who liked to be woken up out of a sound sleep.

She didn't even need to say hello because as soon as she pushed the talk button, she heard another song. With a sigh, she listened.

I miss the look of surrender in your eyes
The way your soft brown hair would fall
I miss the power of your kiss when we made love
But baby most of all

I miss my friend
The one my heart and soul confided in
The one I felt the safest with
The one who knew just what to say to make me laugh again
And let the light back in
I miss my friend

I miss the colors that you brought into my life
Your golden smile, those blue-green eyes
I miss your gentle voice in lonely times like now
Saying it'll be alright

I miss my friend
The one my heart and soul confided in
The one I felt the safest with
The one who knew just what to say to make me laugh again
And let the light back in
I miss my friend

I miss those times
I miss those nights
I even miss our silly fights
The making up
The morning talks
And those late afternoon walks

I miss my friend
The one my heart and soul confided in
The one I felt safest with
The one who knew just what to say to make me laugh again
And let the light back in
I miss my friend
I miss my friend
I miss my friend...

As the song played, Victor could hear Marissa softly crying on the other end. He wanted so badly to say something, but he had promised Mac that no matter what happened, he wouldn't utter a word. He was just about to hang up when he heard her softly whispered, "Good night, Vic."

Victor hung up the phone with a triumphant smile. "It's working!" he said staring down at the phone. He was tempted to call Mac at home but he knew she would be pissed that he woke her up, and Mac was one Marine he never wanted to piss off. So he decided to wait until he got to work to tell her what happened.

Marissa sat up and dried her eyes. She hadn't heard from him in two weeks, and she had started to think he had been trying to say goodbye: that he had changed his mind and realized he didn't love her. She wouldn't have blamed him; she knew she had hurt him badly.  Picking up the phone, she dialed Nina's number to let her know Victor had called again.

Nina was just getting ready for bed when the phone rang. "Hi, Marissa," she said glancing at her caller ID.

"Sorry to call you so late. I just wanted to let you know Vic called again," Marissa whispered.

"Well, it's about damn time!" she said sounding irritated.

"Don't get mad; I'm not. I'm glad he called finally. I was beginning to think maybe we were wrong about his intentions."

"We weren't wrong; I'd just like to know what took him so long to call you again."

"Something could have happened, or maybe he was having second thoughts. I don't know."

"So what song was it this time?" Nina asked gently as her on-again/off-again boyfriend, Frank, walked into the room.

Marissa smiled and told her. "I think it was called I Miss My Friend; at least that is the line it said over and over again."

"It's by Daryl Worley. It's a beautiful song. Listen, Sweetie, I hate to cut this short, but Frank just got home from being on the road for three weeks, and he needs some lovin'," Nina said giggling.

"At least someone is getting some," Marissa said laughing.

"Don't worry, Honey; in a couple of weeks, you'll be getting plenty!"

"We'll see. Good night, Nina. Tell Frank hello for me," Marissa told her friend.

Marissa hung up the phone and slipped further under the covers and thought about the song Vic had played for her. The words of that fit perfectly. She did miss her friend, and he was always the one who made her laugh even when she didn't want to.  'Don't worry, Vic; I'll be home soon,' she thought rolling over and gathering the empty pillow close to her body.


**************************************************


Six weeks later


"Okay, so we leave right after school tomorrow. Do we have the plane tickets?" Nina asked smiling at her two friends.

Maria nodded her head, "Yep, I had Isabella pick them up this afternoon."

"Good. Marissa, you're being awfully quiet. What is wrong?"

"I'm just hoping this doesn't backfire in my face," she whispered quietly.

Maria looked at her sister-in-law and gently squeezed her hand. "Marissa, stop being so paranoid; it'll work. Trust me. I know my brother probably better than he knows himself."

"I know. I guess I'm just nervous. I have never done anything like this before."

"We are going to be right there with you the entire time," Nina told her gently.

Marissa gave them both a cockeyed grin. "I hope not the entire time..."

"Alright, so not the entire time if things go the way we plan. That is something I don't want to see!" Maria said with a laugh.

"I don't know; Vic does have a nice ass" Nina said giggling when Marissa threw a pillow at her.

"Geez, I wonder what Frank would say if he knew you were thinking about my husband's ass!"

Nina smirked at her two friends. "What Frank doesn't know won't hurt him; besides, I can look as long as I don't touch."

"Ha! It's a good thing you're my best friend and I trust you," Marissa said taking a sip of her wine.

"Okay, enough talk about my brother's body," Maria said shaking her head and smiling.

"Oh, come on! You can't tell me if Victor wasn't your brother, you wouldn't want to jump his bones!"

Maria gave a shudder. "Ewww! I'm out of here! I can't handle thinking about my baby brother and sex in the same thought sequence."

"I have to get home, too. You know how the kids always act up the last day of school. I need all the rest I can get," Nina replied giving Marissa a hug.

"Not my kids; they act like perfect angels."

"Yeah right, only because you put the fear of God into them."

"How did you manage that?" Maria asked as they walked to the front door.

Nina smiled. "First day of school last year, Ricardo Martinez pulled a knife on a fellow student. Marissa had him on the floor and disarmed in a matter of seconds. The poor kid didn't know what hit him!"

"How?"

"Your brother taught me a few moves when I first started teaching. The violence in Chamisa Mesa had just began to get worse, and he wanted me to be able to protect myself."

"Did you get into trouble?" Maria asked, never hearing the story before.

"No. Ricardo's parents wanted her fired, but Ricardo stepped in and told him that if she hadn't done what she had, he would probably be going to prison for murder instead of just getting suspended."

"After that, Ricardo became one of my best students. Whenever things get out of hand, he always steps in and tries to take control, telling the kids I'm one teacher not to mess with. He has even told them what happened a few times."

"You turned him around; that's great!"

"Well, it wasn't just me; I can't take all the credit. Ricardo just needed someone to listen to him and someplace to vent his frustrations. So Vic introduced him to Javier. Ricardo began boxing at the gym and stopped fighting in school," Marissa told her.

"You're a good teacher; you genuinely care about your kids."

"You know, they are my kids; I'm going to miss them," Marissa said with a sad smile.

"They'll be happy for you; they love you," Nina said quietly.

"Go on you two! Get out of here before I start blubbering all over you."

"Good night," Maria and Nina waved as they got into Marias Bronco and pulled out.

Marissa closed the door and looked at the phone wondering if Vic would call again tonight. He had called three nights in a row, and each time she had let the answering machine pick up. Both Maria and Nina told her it was best to let him think she wasn't home. Each time the phone rang, she had to sit on her hands to keep from picking it up.

'Another night or two and I'll be back where I belong,' she thought smiling to herself as the doorbell rang.

Marissa walked over to the door still smiling, "All right you two, what did you forget?"

Marissa opened the door, and the smile on her face died. Standing there was her father: the last person on earth she needed to see.

"Have you lost your mind, Girl?" he asked towering over her 5'2" frame.

"What the hell do you want?" Marissa asked contemplating slamming the door in his face.

"I ran into your sister, and she told me what you're planning. I thought we agreed that Victor is better off without your sorry ass," he slurred.

Her father had obviously been drinking, and her awareness of this fact was heightened by the way the familiar smell invaded her senses. Marissa stepped back frightened by the look in his eyes.

Gathering all her courage, Marissa decided it was time to stand up to the man who had made her life miserable from the day she was born. He had not only hurt her sister and her mother, he had caused her to lose the only man who had ever truly loved her.

"You bastard! You are one to talk; you can't even hold a job! Your best friend is the bottle, both your children hate you, and your wife left you for a real man, a man who cherishes the ground she walks on! And you call me 'sorry'.  If I didnt hate you so much, I would almost feel sorry for you. I listened to you a long time ago because I thought that maybe you were right. Maybe I wasn't good enough for Victor, but you know what? I AM GOOD ENOUGH! I always have been, and even though I hurt him and broke his heart for what I thought were the right reasons, he loves me! He always has. Did you know that when I almost died, he came to the hospital and stayed by my side? He didn't have to, but he did it because he loves me! I was stupid enough to send him away for a second time. For the first time in my life, I am going to listen to my heart and do what I know is best for me.  Being with Victor is what's best for both of us. And nothing you say is going to stop me. I want you out of my house and out my life for good! I will not let you make me feel inferior anymore. I have a right to live and love as I see fit."

"You'll be sorry Girl! Mark my words! You'll be sorry!" her father said pointing his finger at her.

"No, Dad, you'll be sorry. When you're old and alone, you'll be sorry that you couldn't love us. That is all Miranda and I ever wanted: for you to love us. We learned at an early age that it wasn't ever going to happen. Unfortunately, I believed that nobody could love me if my own father couldn't," Marissa whispered, tears stinging her eyes.

Without a word, Andrew Colton turned his back and staggered away from his daughter.

"Goodbye, Daddy," Marissa whispered shutting the door on her past.  She refused to let herself cry. Tomorrow was a day of new beginnings. A day to look forward to, she wouldn't let her father put a damper on that. Deep in the back of Marissa's mind, however, the question of whether she was doing the right thing still raged.


******************************************************


"Alright people; let's get down to work," Admiral AJ Chegwidden said calling the morning staff meeting to order.

AJ went through the normal precedence, checking on cases already in progress and handing out new assignments. As he concluded the meeting, everyone was just about to leave.

"One more thing people! I am having party at McMurphy's tomorrow evening and I'd like everyone to attend, including the enlisted personnel, so please put out the word."

"Sir, if I may ask, what is the occasion?" Lt. Bud Roberts asked.

"I just have some people I would like you all to meet. Nothing serious. Dress is casual."

"Sir, you don't have another kid you want to spring on us?" Harm asked joking.

"No, Commander, I don't have anymore children running around at least not that I know about," the Admiral said laughing.

"Just checking, Sir."

"I am having some out-of-town visitors that I would like you to meet. To make them feel welcome, I decided to have a little get together."

"Sir, just ignore the Commander; he's just trying to be nosy as usual," Mac said jabbing Harm in the ribs.

"I always do, Colonel. Could you make sure Gunny and Tiner know to be at McMurphy's at 2000 hrs."

"You can count on me, Sir."

AJ smiled as his senior staff left the conference room. Reaching for his cell phone he dialed the pre-programmed number.  "Everything is a go," he said quietly into the phone.

"I can't thank you enough, AJ."

"No need for thanks. Seeing a smile on my office manager's face will be more than enough thanks. Besides I get to see you again."

"You sure know how to sweet talk a girl, AJ," Maria said laughing.

"I'll see you tonight, Darlin'."

"Till tonight."

AJ hung up the phone and walked out whistling a tune and nearly collided with Lt. Sims.

"Ahh, just the person I needed to see!"

"What can I do for you, Sir?" Harriet asked in her usual sweet voice.

"Let's step into my office and speak privately," he said quietly as Mac walked past on her way to Victor's desk.

"Gunny, you all right?" she asked seeing how sad and depressed he looked. She had been so busy the last couple of days she hadn't had a chance to check and see how their plan was going.

"I'm fine, Ma'am," he said miserably.

"Step into my office, Gunny," she said gently.

"Yes, Ma'am," he said following her.

Mac waited until Victor had seated himself in the chair she pointed to and shut the door.

"Alright, Victor, what's wrong?"

"Ma'am, it's Marissa; I don't think our plan is working."

"How so?"

"I've called her almost every night this week, and she hasn't picked up the phone once."

"Maybe she was out with some friends?"

"No, Ma'am. It was well after midnight when I called. She should have been home. I think maybe she's just not answering the phone in case it's me."

"Victor, did an answering machine pick up?" Mac asked sitting down on the edge of her desk.

"Yes, and I stuck to the plan. I left each song on the answering machine. I'm just going to give up. She told me she doesn't want me. Maybe I was wrong; maybe she meant it."

"Gunnery Sergeant, you will not give up! Do I make myself clear? You're a Marine, and Marines don't give up just because the battle plan isn't going well. You will forge ahead with 'Operation Marissa' until this mission is complete; do you understand?" Mac said looking him in the eye.

"Yes, Ma'am. Completely," he said with a small smile.

"By the way, the Admiral is having a get-together at McMurphys tomorrow night.
 He wants everyone to attend. He has some people coming in from out of town. Sounds like they might be important."

"What time, Ma'am?"

"2000 hrs," Mac replied moving to sit behind her desk.

Victor got up to walk to the door. "I'll be there."

"Vic, try to cheer up, would you? I have a feeling everything is going to work out."

"I hope you're right, Ma'am."

Victor closed Mac's door behind him and walked back to his desk. 'Maybe Mac is right. Marissa probably has just been really busy. It is the end of the school year,' he thought sitting down and grabbing the requisition he had been working on earlier.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


"Sir, what can I do for you?" Harriet Sims asked closing the door to the Admiral's office.

"Lieutenant, I believe you have seen the mood Gunny has been in since he came back from visiting his ex-wife?"

"Yes, Sir, I have I have been wondering what I can do to help I mean he hasn't said anything and I didnt want to pry I just wish I could help him."

"You can, Lieutenant. This is the plan," AJ said leaning closer.

As AJ let Harriet in on the plan, her smile grew wider and wider. When he was finished, Harriet was ecstatic. "Sir, you can count on me!" she said, her brain working in overdrive as to what she could do.


**************************************************


Marissa nervously paced the guest bedroom in Admiral AJ Chegwidden's home. Both Nina and Maria had left her alone so they could get ready for the nights festivities. Sitting down in front of the mirror, Marissa heard a knock on the bedroom door.

"Come on in," she called reaching for her hairbrush.

"I just wanted to see if you needed anything," AJ said walking into the room with a smile on his face.

"A good stiff drink would do wonders right about now," she teased.

"Nervous?"

Marissa looked down at the wedding ring suspended from the delicate gold chain around her neck. "Just a little; I mean what if Victor has decided he doesn't want me back? What if he has decided to forget I ever existed or that he's better off without me and my baggage?"

"And what if the world ends tomorrow? Life is too short for what if's or for regrets. You have to live as if every day may be your last, Marissa," AJ said gently.

Marissa smiled up at him, wishing her father had been more like him. AJ's daughter was lucky to have him for a father. "You're right, AJ; life is too short, and I have wasted enough of it because of my stupid pride," she whispered, tears coming to her eyes.

"A very smart woman told me once that we find strength in our weaknesses. Sometimes you just have to face the ghosts in your past before you can move on."

"Sounds like a very wise woman," Marissa whispered.

"She is. My ex-wife is one of the smartest women I know."

"Thank you, AJ, for letting us stay with you; I really appreciate it."

"You're more than welcome. And just so you know, if Victor doesnt accept you back, I'll personally remove his head from his six for you."

"I appreciate that," Marissa said giving AJ a hug.

"Are you two about ready to get this show on the road?" Nina asked as she joined them.

"Of course we are, and I'm going to be the envy of every man at McMurphy's tonight," quipped AJ.

"Oh yeah? Why is that, Sir?" Nina asked, refusing to call him AJ. Her father was an officer in the Army, and she was raised to call officers "Sir" and nothing else. Nothing AJ said was going to change that.

"I'm escorting the three most beautiful women in the state of Virginia," he said with a grin as they all walked out the door laughing.


***********************************************


Victor stood at the bar and ordered his second Jack and Coke as Mac watched from the table she shared with Bud and Harriett.

"I sure hope Gunny pulls out of the slump he's in soon," Bud said looking at the young Marine.

'Oh, don't you worry, Honey. Things will be looking up for Gunny in a few hours,' Harriet thought with a devilish grin.

"Harriet, what's up? You look like the cat who ate the canary," Mac remarked pulling her gaze away from Victor.

Harriet looked over at Mac and smiled, "Nothing, Ma'am. Can't a girl be happy?"

Just then Harriet spotted the Admiral as he walked in by himself. "There is the Admiral; I want to say hello."  She quickly rose and met him at the door.

"Is everything in place?" AJ whispered quietly to Harriet as they walked slowly through the bar.

"Yes, Sir. The band has the music, and they are happy to help out. Most of them know Gunny, and once I told them what was going on, they were more than willing to help. "

"Good. Good job, Lieutenant. Is the entire staff present?" he asked.

"With the exception of Lieutenant Singer, but I wouldn't be disappointed at all if she didn't show."

AJ smiled down at the young Lieutenant. He was well aware of the animosity between the two young women. "She better show up; I made it an order."

"There she is now, Sir," Harriet whispered seeing Lauren walk through the door on the arm of a young man she didn't recognize.

"Let's get this show on the road then," AJ said walking towards the back of the bar.

"Where is the Admiral going?" Harm asked when Harriet came back to their table.

"Maybe to the bathroom? I'm not sure. He just said to get everyone together for an announcement."

Harriet left to get the staff gathered in front of the stage where the band was just ending a song.

AJ walked up on stage. "Before the festivities begin, I would just like to thank Harry for letting us use his fine establishment this evening and thank the patrons for putting up with a bunch of military personnel. We have with us tonight a very special guest. So without further ado, I would like to present a very beautiful and talented woman. I won't tell you who she is; I think you'll all figure that out for yourselves soon enough," AJ said as the lights dimmed, showering the bar in darkness.

Marissa carefully made her way in front of the microphone and took a deep breath. When the first chords of the song began to play, the lights came back on and everyone heard the gasp of surprise from Victor.

I've dealt with my ghosts and faced all my demons
Finally content with the past I regret
I've found you find strength in your moments of weakness
For once Im at peace with myself
I've been burdened with blame
Trapped in the past for too long
I'm moving on

Victor couldn't believe his eyes; there on the stage was his wife. The woman he thought he would never see again. The woman he had hoped and prayed would come to him and say she was wrong.

I've lived in this place and I know all the faces
Each one is different but they're always the same
They mean me no harm but it's time that I face it
They'll never allow me to change
But I never dreamed home would end up where I don't belong
I'm moving on
I'm moving on
At last I can see time has been patiently waiting for me
And I know there's no guarantee but I'm not alone
There comes a time in everyone's life when all you see are the years passing by
And I've made up my mind that those days are gone.

Maria quietly moved to her brother's side worried by the shocked look on his face as he watched Marissa.

"Hey, little brother; you all right?" she asked quietly slipping her arm through his.

"What's going on here? Is this some kind of cruel joke?" he asked turning pain-filled eyes her way.

"No joke, Vic. Listen to what she is trying to tell you. You told her how you felt with music, and shes doing the same."

I sold what I could and packed what I couldn't
Stopped to fill up on my way out of town
I've loved like I should but lived like I shouldn't
I had to loose everything to find out
Maybe forgiveness will find me somewhere down this road
I'm moving on
I'm moving on

Marissa watched Victor throughout the song and could tell he was confused. When he didn't make a move at the end of the song, she sighed and turned to the band and gave them a nod.

Victor wanted to go to her and tell her how he felt, but somehow he couldn't get his feet to move. It was like he was glued to the floor.  'God, she looks so beautiful,' he thought as the band began to play again.

Yeah
I am home now, home now
Ive been waiting forever to find you, to find you
I'm not alone now, alone now
'Cuz you've taken in my heart from the cold
All I know is every time I look into your eyes I'm home, I know

"Victor, what are you just standing there for? Please tell me you didn't change your mind," Nina whispered.

"Change my mind? No, I didn't. I just don't know what to say," he whispered, tears stinging his eyes.

You're where I belong
I belong with you
You're where I belong
And I know its the truth
You're part of my heart
There's nothing I can do
Oh you're the one who keeps me warm
My baby you're where I belong

Mac looked at him and smiled gently. "I don't think you need to say anything at all. Just follow your heart; do what comes naturally."

You're my first taste, first taste
Of the sweetest feeling Ive ever known, that Ive known
You're my safe place, my safe place
From a world that can be cruel and cold
You're my harbor, you're my shelter, you're that welcome smile
That lets me know I'm home

'Cruel and cold world,' Victor thought as he watched her, a slow smile spreading across his face. 'That is about to change, Sweetheart.'

You're where I belong
I belong with you
You're where I belong
And I know it's the truth
You're part of my heart
There's nothing I can do
Oh you're the one who keeps me warm
My baby you're where I belong
You're the one I come to, Yeah
To keep me from the cold
You're where I belong
I belong with you
You're where I belong
And I know it's the truth
You're part of my heart
There is nothing I can do
Oh you're the one who keeps me warm
My baby you're where I belong

Victor finally moved to walk up on stage and nervously stood in front of Marissa. Reaching out, he gently brushed the hair away from her face and caressed her cheek.

(You're where I belong; you're my only home)
You're where I belong
(You're where I belong)
(You're where I belong; You're my only home)
You're where I belong
(You're where I belong)
(You're where I belong; You're my only home)
You're where I belong
I am home now, home now

"Welcome home, Sweetheart," he said pulling her into his arms and kissing her deeply. 

Marissa felt her arms slide around his neck, and she sank into his body as tears poured down her face.

Marissa pulled back and looked into Victor's eyes.  "I'm so sorry."

"ShhhThat is all in the past. What matters is that we are together now, and nothing is going to tear us apart again." With that, Victor swung her up in his arms and carried her off stage through the crowd and out the door.

"Well, I guess they won't be sticking around for the party," Harriet giggled as Bud slipped his arm around his wife's waist.

"I think it's rather rude to just leave without saying goodbye," Lauren said rolling her eyes.

Harriet glared at Singer, "You would. Can't you just be happy for them?"

"I'll be happy as long as Gunny gets his act together and does his job."

"Lieutenant, Gunny's work hasn't suffered at all, and I think it would do you good to keep your opinions to yourself. If I hear any disparaging remarks against Gunny, or any other staff member for that matter, you and I will have a problem. Do I make myself clear?" AJ said walking up to the group.

"Sir! Yes, Sir!" Singer said.

Once outside, Victor sat Marissa on her feet. "Why didn't you call me and tell me you were coming here?" he whispered leaning his forehead against hers.

"I wasn't sure how you would feel about it, so I chose to surprise you."

"Surprise isn't the word for what I was feeling. I was in shock when I saw you up there."

Marissa grinned and started to walk away, "I'm sorry. I can go back to Taos if you want."

"Darlin', you aren't going anywhere," he said pulling her into his arms and pushing her up against his car.

"No, I guess we are going to stay right here then," Marissa teased running her hands up his stomach and stopping at his chest.

"The only place youre going is home with me. We have a lot of lost time to make up for," he told her nuzzling her neck.

Marissa groaned as Victor ground his hips into her. "Home is wherever you are."

Victor lifted his head and placed a kiss on the tip of her nose. "Well then, let's take this someplace more private."

Victor and Marissa drove in comfortable silence all the way to Vic's apartment, neither one of them taking their hands off the other.

By the time Victor pulled into his parking spot, his jeans had grown uncomfortably tight due to Marissa's hand moving up and down his thigh.

As they made their way to the door, Victor couldn't take his hands off  her and had a hard time unlocking the door. Finally he shoved the door open and they stumbled through the doorway. 

Victor kicked the door shut with his foot as they shed their clothes...

With one swift move, Victor picked Marissa up and carried her to his bedroom.

"God, I have missed you," he whispered kissing his way down her throat.

Marissa gasped as Victors hot mouth found her nipple. "Not as much as I've missed you."

Victor chuckled as he moved his hand down to her body making her squirm when he reached the area between her thighs that was begging for attention.

"Vicplease," Marissa begged as he began massaging the sensitive nub through the white silky thong she was wearing.

"Tell me what you want, Sweetheart," Vic growled moving down and placing kisses down her stomach.

"EVERYTHING!" she cried out as his mouth replaced his thumb.

Victor sat up and slid her thong down her legs and went back to teasing her clit with his tongue.

Victor gazed at Marissa and couldn't help but smile as he watched the emotions flit across her face.

Watching Marissa, he could feel himself grow harder and knew if he wasn't inside her soon, he would be in trouble.

Moving up to place a kiss on her mouth, Victor slipped one and then two fingers inside her. He knew she was ready when he felt her walls clench around him. She was so tight and wet, he couldn't wait to be inside of her.

"Vic I need you now," Marissa whimpered as he pumped his fingers in and out.

"I thought you'd never ask," he growled thrusting inside of her with a groan.

Marissa gasped, digging her nails into his shoulders as he quickened his movements. "Oh God, Vic! You feel so good!"

As Victor moved inside of her, he knew this was going to be over much to quickly. It had been so long.

Victor reached up and rolled one nipple between his fingers, making it grow to a hardened peak.

With that one move, he felt her clench around him as her orgasm exploded, sending him over the edge as well. With a groan, he collapsed on top of her. He gently kissed her forehead.

"I'm sorry, Baby," he whispered roughly his breathing ragged.

"Sorry? For what?" she whispered.

Victor rolled off of her and pulled her close, "That didn't last as long as I hoped it would."

"You aren't hearing any complaints from me are you?" she giggled. "Besides, we have all night."

"We have the rest of our lives," he whispered picking up the necklace that hung between her breasts.

"What's this?" he asked surprised.

"My wedding ring," she whispered looking up at him, the love shining in her
eyes.

Victor unclasped the necklace and took the ring in his hand.  Picking up her hand, he slid it on her left ring finger. "This doesn't belong on a necklace; it belongs right here."

Marissa smiled up at him, "It may not have been on my finger, but it was never far from my heart," she whispered lovingly.

"Will you marry me again and make an honest man of me?" he asked gazing into her eyes with a grin.

Marissa wrapped her arms around him and pulled him down for a soul-searching kiss. "I thought you'd never ask. I have a lifetime of regrets, but loving you and being your wife was never one of them," she whispered, her
heart bursting with love.

                                          The End