Gunnery Sergeant Victor Galindez Fanfiction

Home

Fanfiction Index | Contact Me
You're Gone
DISCLAIMER:
The JAG concept, and the characters of Admiral Chegwidden, Sarah Mackenzie, Harmon Rabb, Jr. , Bud Roberts, Harriet Sims, AJ Roberts, Jason Tiner, Loren Singer, Clayton Webb and Victor Galindez are the property of Belisarius Productions, Paramount Television, CBS-TV and related entities. No copyright infringement is intended. This story is purely for entertainment purposes and no profit is being made. 
 
This story may not be copied or reproduced elsewhere without the consent of the author.
 

incountry.jpg

Mid October 2001

1845 Zulu
JAG Headquarters
Falls Church, Virginia

 

 

 

"Come in," Austin called turning from her computer screen to see who was knocking on her door.

"Wondering if you'd like to share lunch with me Miss Bradford, Ma'am," Victor said formally as he stood in the open doorway.

"That sounds like a nice idea Gunnery Sergeant. Otherwise I might just forget lunch again today," She smiled closing out of the program she was in. Not that she thought anyone would care to read an Evaluation Report, but it was still a confidential document and she knew Lieutenant Singer was just waiting for her to make a mistake so she could jump on her for it.

"I have permission from the Admiral to take an extended lunch break."

Austin tilted her head, one corner of her mouth twisting down into a frown. Something was going on, she should have noticed it immediately in Victor's tone of voice.

Ever since September 11th he'd been different: more on edge, more impatient. Not with her normally, but Austin knew the same emotions that caused him to snap at Tiner ran just below the surface when Victor was with her and she did her best not to push any of his buttons.

"I guess I should go speak with him then," Austin said slowly as she got to her feet.

Victor sensed her hesitancy and scolded himself Give her a break Marine...she acts like she has to walk on eggshells around you.

"Might not be a bad idea," he allowed his hand to trail down her arm as she passed by him making her stop and look up into his eyes.

"We're okay?" she breathed, her lips forming the question more than her voice.

"We're fine."

Austin smiled wishing she could just fling her arms around him and kiss him right there. He'd lifted a huge weight off her shoulders and now she felt like she could stop thinking of ways to transfer out of JAG.

"Ah Miss Bradford, I see Gunny found you. Why don't you take an extended lunch break as well today?" the Admiral suggested as he walked into the break room, hiding his amusement as Gunny jumped and Austin stepped back into her office so it wouldn't look as if they were together.

As if everyone didn't notice the two of them rode in together every morning and how on 9/11 Gunny had spent all the time he could with Austin, sometimes the two of them in her office with the door closed.

"Thank you Sir, I'd like to do that."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Outside...

 


"Where would you like to eat?" Austin questioned looking up at Victor as they stepped out the door of JAG Headquarters.

"I have a picnic for us actually," Victor answered walking over to his car and opening the trunk to lift out a cooler.

"A picnic...good grief, this is serious," Austin teased until he shot her an amazed look like she was reading his mind. Her heart froze for a second in her chest and she had an urge to shrink away from his intense, probing gaze.

 

"Let's eat on the grounds...I know a nice secluded little spot that the Admiral can't see when he looks out his window. We can go for a walk or something when we're done."

"Okay," Austin's voice was small and her stomach was clenched in knots. Something was going to happen today and after the way the world had turned upside down in the past month she was quite sure it wasn't going to be good.

"Everything is fine Aus, you sound so worried," Victor soothed. He didn't want her worrying herself to death right now. There'd be plenty of time for that later...when he was gone.

"I am...with everything that's happened...I'm very worried."

Victor took her hand squeezing it as he brought it to his lips kissing her knuckles gently. "Let's go."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

An hour later...



Lunch was over and judging by the food Austin had pushed around her plate or only nibbled on, it hadn't been that good.

"Guess I'm not a great cook, huh?" Victor teased breaking into Austin's thoughts as she gazed pensively at the interlaced tree branches over her head.

"It was wonderful...I'm just not hungry. I'm sorry Victor."

"Hey," He warned softly moving to cup her face in his hands. "You don't have to apologize to me. Let's take that walk...we need to talk."

He got to his feet offering Austin his hand to pull her up, not letting it go when she was on her feet. "Aus...I don't know where to start."

"The beginning w-works."

"I've been doing a lot of thinking since 9/11. I know that's no secret to you, but what I've been thinking probably is. I've thought about my place here at JAG and even though I like my job and I know it's important I've been keeping my eyes open for something else."

"...And...you found something," Austin guessed sucking in her breath.

"They're looking for a Gunnery Sergeant at Camp Lejeune...it would give me a chance to do what I'm trained to do Aus..." Victor replied.

"And it might mean you have to go to Afghanistan, right?"

"Yeah it would definitely mean that. Do you understand why Aus?"

She shook her head "no" while tears dribbled down her cheeks.

"You were in Manhattan over the summer...you went to the top of the World Trade Center. All I can think is what if you'd been up there that day. And what about all the families and friends of people who were in the twin towers or in the Pentagon. I get to hold you and kiss you still Aus...they don't have that privilege with their loved ones. It makes me angry that some hate-crazed man was able to hurt so many innocent people with what he did and I want to be able to help stop him."

"What if I lose you?" She whispered fighting her urge to lean against his chest. She'd ruin his uniform.

"You won't," He promised pulling her against him.

"You made me a promise, you'd better keep it," Austin sniffled wiping her eyes. She didn't want to make this worse on Victor than it was all ready. She'd keep her feelings to herself.

"I'd never break a promise to you Austin," he whispered in her ear swaying her in his arms while he looked at the bright blue sky over their heads.

Victor was excited. He didn't want to leave Austin, but he wanted to join the war on terrorism. He was a Marine and a damn good one, he wanted to be on the front lines ensuring that Austin, his sisters and his mother as well as his friends would always be free to travel when they wanted without worrying about never making it to their destination.

"When will you be leaving?"

"Saturday...now that I've talked to you I need to talk to the Admiral and tell him for sure I'll be going and I want some time to talk with my mother and sisters," Victor leaned down and kissed her cheek. "And I need to spend every second I can with you."

"Let's head back in...you have a lot to do and so do I," Austin said stepping out of his arms. She was proud that Victor wanted to serve his country, but there was a part of her that was afraid when she said good bye to him on Saturday it would be for the final time.

 

*****************************************************************

2310 Zulu
Bullpen
JAG Headquarters
Falls Church, Virginia...



"There you are...you've been locked in your little nook all afternoon," Harriet said to Austin as she walked through the bull pen.

"I'm sorry, It's just been a busy day," Austin answered flatly.

"Uh oh...I know that tone: what's wrong Austin?" Harriet asked adopting her motherly mode putting an arm around her friend's shoulders.

"Nothing Harriet...nothing at all," Austin sighed not seeing Loren Singer approaching.

"Oh Miss Bradford, you must be so proud of Gunny for taking the Gunnery Sergeant position at Camp Lejeune," She piped excitedly smiling at the look of pain in the other woman's eyes.

"I'm very proud of him," Austin snarled stiffly.

"It'll be hard for you to be without him I imagine. Especially when they send him in country."

Harriet held Austin back leading her into Tiner's office just to be sure she wasn't going to punch Singer in the face. "Aus, let it go...let it go: doing something to her won't do you any good."

"God she needs to be punched," Austin growled flexing her hands into fists. "or slapped, run over with a car, thrown out a window, hit by a bus...take your pick. I'm capable of any of them right now."

"Let's just get out of here Aus...you can come over and keep me company until Bud and Gunny come home. AJ would love to have you read his new dinosaur story to him."

"Sounds fine to me."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

0125 Zulu
Austin's Apartment
Rosslyn, Virginia...



Austin stood at the kitchen sink washing the dishes listening to Victor on the phone with his mother. She couldn't believe that in just a few more days he was going to be leaving and she was going to have to get used to living alone again. Not that she couldn't do all the minor repair jobs that came up by herself, but there was something about having Victor do it for her that felt nice. And having him walk through the apartment before they went to bed, locking the doors and windows checking to be sure everything was all right: it made her feel safe and cared for.

"Hey Aus, Mama wants to talk to you...I'll take over the dishes," Victor said coming into the kitchen and handing her the phone.

"Hello?"

"Austin...What do you think about my Victor doing this thing? Going off to war?"

Austin walked out of the kitchen as she thought of an answer. "I'd be lying to you if I said I wasn't nervous or worried about it. Victor thinks this is important though, so I support him."

"You are a good girl for my Victor...a good girl."

The older woman's warm voice made tears prick at the corners of Austin's eyes. "Thank you Mrs. Galindez."

"Oh please dear, call me Teresa...or Mama....Mrs. Galindez is too formal. With Victor going away I do hope you will join the girls and I for the holidays. I can tell you many stories about Victor."

"I think that would be nice...I'd really love to meet you all. Victor has told me so much about you," Austin smiled at the idea of finally meeting the Galindez women.

"I should let you go dear...Victor may break all your dishes if I keep you. He's a sweet boy, but clumsy."

"Okay...let me go rescue my dishes from him and you can talk to him again."

"Oh no dear...Victor and I are done talking and this is costing a fortune. You two enjoy the evening."

"We will. Thank you Teresa."

"Did you have a good talk with Mama, sweetheart?" Victor questioned when Austin walked up behind him and wrapped her arms around his waist resting her head on his back.

"I did. She wants me to visit her over the holidays. She says she has lots of stories to tell me about you," Austin replied.

"Uh oh," He turned in her embrace putting his wet soapy hands on her shoulders. "I think I'm going to have to keep you from going."

"If I can't keep you from going to Afghanistan then you..." Austin trailed off biting her lip as tears again burned the corner of her eyes. She stepped away from him moving quickly to the bedroom closing the door behind her.

"Damn," Victor sighed deeply when he heard the door close. He finished up in the kitchen draining the sink and shutting off the lights, giving Austin time to herself. She wasn't one who liked to cry on his shoulder. She much preferred the space to deal with things on her own.

He gave her until he was done in the kitchen then went to the bedroom knocking softly on the door. "Aus, let me in."

The door opened and he was face-to-face with Austin. Her nose and eyes were red and her cheeks showed signs of fresh tears.

"I'm sorry Victor," she mumbled wiping her eyes on her sleeves.

"Don't be sorry Aus, this isn't easy. I don't want to leave you either, but this is just too important," he soothed pulling her into his arms, kissing the top of her head gently.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Same time
Roberts' Apartment...



Harriet laid her sleeping son in his crib smiling adoringly at him as he rolled to his side getting comfortable. "He's such a miracle."

"He is," Bud agreed leaning over her shoulder to brush his son's cheek. "Let's let him sleep."

Harriet moved into the living room scooping up toys as she went to put them in the toy box. "Gunny's leaving, we really should have a party or something."

"Harriet...I was there when he came out of the Admiral's office. He threatened Tiner about what would happen if there was a party," Bud cautioned.

"I don't care: I want a party. It would be good for Austin too, to see how much support she and Gunny have. I bet she'll be lonely with him gone. I'm going to have to be sure to take her to some of the gatherings the Navy and Marine wives have to help them all get through deployments."

"Where would we have the party?"

Harriet looked around. "Well here would work...or McMurphy's...some place not too fancy."

"I think McMurphy's might be best. We can ask Gunny and Austin to go out for a few drinks with us on Friday after work, make it sort of a surprise party even though Gunny hates that kind of thing. We can let everyone know about it tomorrow."

"I don't think we should invite Lieutenant Singer: Austin was ready to punch her today and I don't know that she would hold back if she were outside the office," Harriet said as she began writing names on a piece of paper so she would remember who to invite.

"We can't invite the entire office and not her Harriet," Bud cried. "I'll just have Commander Rabb and Tiner give me a hand keeping her as far from Austin as possible."

"Honey would you call McMurphy's? We're going to have at least 20 people there and I'd like them to have lots of appetizers for us."

Bud nodded going to the phone, hoping they weren't making a mistake by planning this party for Gunny. It just didn't seem right to send him off without doing anything.

 

********************************************************************

1100 Zulu        

Austin's Apartment
Rosslyn, Virginia



"Morning beautiful," Victor whispered into his still sleeping girlfriend's ear as he shifted to his side. "Time to rise and shine."

"I may rise, but I refuse to shine," Austin muttered cracking an eye open to look at him. "How can you look so darn sexy every morning?"

"Same way you do my love: lots of exercise."

"Somehow I doubt that particular form of exercise is approved by the Corps," Austin rolled her eyes sliding out of the bed.

"Sure it ishow do you think the next generation of Marines is conceived?"

"Victor Galindezyou are awful! And here I thought you were shy," Austin giggled admiring the play of muscles under his bronze skin as he got out of the bed.

"Shy? No Ma'amthis Marine is not shy," Victor teased wrapping her in his arms.

"Let me go so I can get ready to go jogging. We'll have to make it a quick one this morning since we somehow overslept."

He watched her walk away thinking again how hard it was going to be to leave this time. The other deployments he'd been on had been easier. There hadn't been anyone waiting at home for him except his mother and his sisters.

Victor moved to the bed, making it as a way to distract himself from everything he needed to do before he left. Top on his list was talking with Lieutenant Roberts later in the day: he wanted to change his will to be sure if he didn't come back Austin would have something. Maybe his CD collection, he thought with a grin remembering the way she'd wrinkled her nose at most of the CD's he owned.

Something else was on his mind as well. He wanted Austin to have some companionship while he was gone, something to keep her company besides her houseplants. Victor had originally thought about a dog, then decided against it. Dogs were good for companionship and guard duty, but they needed to be walked and he didn't think Austin would be too thrilled with him when it was 10 degrees outside and she was out walking a dog. Plus he'd checked with the landlord and dogs weren't allowed. So he was back to square one again.

"Let's go pokygoodness are you going to daydream all day Marine?" Austin teased when she came out of the bathroom to find Victor staring at her perfectly made bed.

"Be with you in a second," he answered carrying some clothes into the bathroom with him so he could dress.

"So Harriet was telling me yesterday that you were going to need all sorts of vaccinations before you left. She said some of the vaccinations can make you feel pretty terrible. When are you having yours?" Austin questioned several minutes later as they stood in front of her building stretching before their run.

"This afternoon 1400-they really aren't that bad," Victor lied. The vaccine against Typhoid had knocked him on his six last time and the one for Malaria was no picnic either. Though why he needed to be vaccinated against Malaria to go to Afghanistan was a mystery to him, he supposed it was better to be safe than sorry. The nurse he'd spoken to at Bethesda yesterday had also told him they were now vaccinating against Small Pox in case of biological warfare.

"I can go with you if you want," Austin offered sure he'd turn her down.

"Thanks Aus, but it's not a big deal. I'll go get the shots and come back to JAG Ops: nothing serious. Three miles today?"

"Sure...lead the way Marine."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

1645 Zulu
Austin's Office
JAG Headquarters
Falls Church, Virginia


 

 

"Miss Bradford, I need to speak with you," Loren Singer said as she stood in the open doorway watching the other woman filing. "Didn't you know filing was Tiner's job? Or Gunny's?"

"I'm capable of doing my own filing-thank you," Austin snapped back in a barely civil tone. "Come in."

"It's about this report. I'm working on the McPhail case and I want to know what this report on his son could possibly have to do with his charge of Unauthorized Absence?" Loren snapped back.

"Lieutenant Roberts asked me for it," Austin answered mentally counting to 10. "And since I'm not a lawyer I have no idea why he wanted the file. Maybe you could try asking him since my mind reading skills are a little rusty!"

"I plan to ask him as soon as he's done talking with Gunny. I don't know why Gunny can't seem to keep his personal life out of the office. If he wants to talk to Bud about his will he should do it on his own time," Loren looked at the woman before her seeing the curiosity in her eyes, knowing Austin would die before asking the question she wanted to. So she decided to answer it anyway.

"I know it's standard for all personnel in the armed forces to have wills once they enter servicebut Gunny's changing his. Sounds like if he doesn't come back he wants to be sure you're taken care of. That's really quite sweet of him since you two aren't married or anything."

"I'm really busy right now Lieutenant Singer, if you don't mind I'd like you to go," Austin answered flatly her stomach churning as the idea that Victor might not come home rose in her mind again.

"I had some questions about some of the terminology you used in the report."

"Then make an appointment to see me Lieutenant...or wait to speak with Lieutenant Roberts: I've gone over the terminology quite thoroughly with him."

"All right then Miss Bradford...I do hope you have a good day," Singer smiled a saccharine sweet smile and left the office.

Austin pushed the door closed and lifted her empty coffee mug, hurling it at the door with a frustrated scream. God she hated that woman! She heard a knock on the door and looked at the now shattered coffee mug with an embarrassed sigh. "Come in please."

"Is everything all right Miss Bradford? I thought I'd heard something hit the door," AJ Chegwidden said as he opened the door and stepped in not surprised to see the shattered mug on the floor.

"It slipped from my hand," Austin lied smoothly pasting a smile on her face for the Admiral looking in his eyes and knowing he didn't for a second believe her.

"Hmm-well, that happens sometimes," AJ answered mildly. And you're a poor excuse for a liar Austin Bradford.

"I'll clean it up right away Sir. It won't happen again," Austin answered thinking because the next time I'm going to throw one at Singer's head right before I chuck her out the window.

"Very well then, carry on." AJ turned away to hide the smirk on his face. Singer had better watch out, if she pushed Austin Bradford too far she was going to come out on the losing end.
He knew well of the young lawyer's over eager, heavy-handed approach in his Office and he was keeping his eye on her. So far she hadn't done anything blatant enough for him to call her on the carpet, but he'd known her kind through his entire career and sooner or later despite her intellect she was going to cross the line with her arrogance and he would be waiting to put her in her place. If she thought she was going to be the first female JAG she was going to have to learn a few things first.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

1925 Zulu
Bethesda Naval Hospital
Bethesda, Maryland



"You're all set Gunnery Sergeant Galindez. Some swelling at the vaccination sites is normal and you may have some nausea and vertigo, perhaps a low grade fever for a day or two. You know the drill."

Victor nodded and smiled flexing his left arm where the tetanus booster had been given. "I'll take it easy for the next 24 hours or so and if the symptoms persist or get worse I'll call."

"You've got it. Good luck Gunnery Sergeant and God bless. When you're ready my nurse will have print outs of what I just told you and side effects you should look out for."

Victor got down from the exam table and pulled his uniform shirt back on buttoning it up while he thought about what was going to happen in just a few days. He had sat with Bud for a couple of hours going over his will and adding in a proviso for Austin which would leave her his savings account. His mother would get his pension and whatever else there was and his sisters would also get some money, but he wanted to be sure Austin was taken care of, not that she needed it, she made more money than he did. It made him feel better to know he would be taking care of her in his own way though.

He went back to JAG and buried himself in work, determined to get things up-to-date and organized before he had to leave. Austin found him at 1800 in the supply closet.

"There you are! Are you ready to go home Victor?" Austin asked walking up to him putting a hand on his arm.

"Yeah...yeah..." Victor answered wiping a hand across his forehead. He was feeling tired all ready and his stomach was rolling a little, looked like the vaccinations were just as pleasant as he remembered.

"Okay then, let's go...I'll drive. You're looking a little peaked to me," Austin commented holding the back of her hand against his cheek. "You feel warm too. Poor man."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

0030 Zulu
Bud and Harriet's Apartment
Rosslyn, Virginia



Harriet carried a tray of coffee into the living room where Gunny and Bud were sitting watching a soccer game while Austin sat in a rocker by the window rocking little AJ and telling him a story.

"She's so good with children," Harriet sighed as she set the tray down on the coffee table.

Victor looked back over his shoulder and smiled at the scene he saw. "She is, isn't she?"

"He's asleep," Austin called softly to Harriet as she got carefully to her feet trying not to jostle the little boy. Her eyes met Victor's and she smiled shyly at him before looking down into the peaceful sleeping face of the little boy.

"Thank you so much Austin," Harriet beamed as she took her son. "Why don't you go sit and have some coffee? When I come back out I'll make Bud turn off the TV and we can talk."

Austin took a seat beside Victor. "Would you like some coffee Vic?"

"No, no thanks...actually I'm feeling kind of tired. I'm thinking I might go back and get some rest," Victor answered sliding to the edge of the sofa and standing.

"Do you want me to come with you?" Austin asked in concern. He looked pale to her and she didn't want him to be alone if he wasn't feeling well.

"I'm fine sweetheart. You can stay and visit with Harriet and Bud. I'm just going to go to bed."

"Leaving us so soon Victor?" Harriet asked as she emerged from AJ's bedroom.

"Sorry Harriet, but yeah. Feel free to keep Austin as long as you want and thanks for inviting us over."

 

 

*******************************************************************


0010 Zulu
Friday
Austin's Apartment
Rosslyn, Virginia



"You about ready Aus?" Victor called into the bedroom as he lounged on the sofa flipping through channels on the remote. He was finally feeling better though his muscles still ached. The last thing he wanted to do was go out with Bud and Harriet on his last night with Austin, but Bud had been fairly insistent about wanting them to go.

Austin stepped into the living room dressed in black jeans with black low-heeled boots and a rose colored sweater. "I'm ready."

"You look nice sweetheart," Victor got to his feet crossing the room to her side and wrapping his arms around her waist.

"You look good too Vic," Austin sighed leaning into him her cheek pressed against his shirt. "Let's not stay out too long tonight. I want you to myself."

He kissed the top of her head squeezing her tightly in his arms. "Let's go see if Bud and Harriet are ready."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

0100 Zulu
McMurphy's Tavern



"SURPRISE!"

Victor looked around in shock. "Did you know about this?" He questioned leaning down to whisper in Austin's ear keeping an arm locked around her waist.

"I had no idea," Austin answered looking wide-eyed at everyone from JAG. "Harriet didn't tell me a thing."

"Only because I didn't think either of you would agree to come," Harriet bubbled getting in between the couple and leading them to the bar.

"What will you have Victor? I'm buying," AJ smiled slapping his Office Manager on the shoulder.

"Beer."

"And you Austin?"

"Hmm-I'll start with a soda for now and we'll see," Austin smiled linking her hand through Victor's arm.

"All right then: you two go mingle."

Victor moved out into the crowd of people Austin trailing him smiling and nodding until he came to Jason Tiner. "Tiner."

"I swear Gunny...I didn't know...I did not plan this party," Tiner rushed to explain backing a few steps away from the Gunnery Sergeant.

"He really didn't Gunny," Harm stuck up for the Petty Officer from his place at the pool table where he was trying to beat Mac and Sturgis in a game.

"Better not have Tiner...I'll put you on your six right here," Victor chuckled, wincing as Austin punched him in the arm.

"Be nice Vic," Austin scolded.

"Yes Ma'am," Victor teased.

The evening passed quickly and Victor surprised himself by having a great time. He danced with Austin, played pool and talked with his coworkers.

"All right people, gather round-I'm sure Gunny would like to be getting home soon-to pack," AJ grinned devilishly at the couple standing next to him.

Austin felt her face heat up and she lowered her gaze, shaking her head.

"We just all wanted to be sure we had a chance to wish you good luck and God speed Victor."

"Thank you Sir...everyone. It means a lot that you'd all come out for me tonight."

"Of course we would Gunny...you're a part of our team. We're going to miss you!" Harriet sniffled throwing her arms around his neck and hugging him fiercely.

Victor stood as a line of well-wishers formed each wanting to offer him their wishes. Even Lieutenant Singer managed to be somewhat pleasant though Victor felt Austin tighten her grip on his arm when the blonde approached. He almost thought he heard her growl softly as Singer shook his hand, but when he looked at her Austin had a small smile on her lips.

Finally only a few people stood before him. The Admiral was first in line arms crossed an unreadable expression on his face.

"It's been a pleasure having you work under me Victor. If you need something to do when you come back you'll have a place at JAG."

"Thank you Sir, it's been a real pleasure to work under you Admiral Chegwidden. I'll keep that offer in mind."

"Only one thing more: I wish I was going with you Victor. Be safe."

"Not until we all are Sir," Victor answered shaking his Commanding Officer's hand not noticing Austin slip away from his side to the ladies' room.

Harriet saw and decided to follow. She'd have a chance to say goodbye to Gunny when they left the tavern and she was more worried about her friend. "Aus?"

"How come he says that?! Every time someone tells him to stay safe he says: not until we all are," Austin sniffled looking at her reflection in the mirror. "It's like he doesn't want to come back to me."

"Oh Aus, that's not it at all: he does, but he's a Marine and he knows it's his duty to fight with everything he has," Harriet soothed rubbing her friend's shoulders.

Austin wiped her eyes hurriedly, blowing her nose and splashing cool water on her face. "I-I should go back out there."

"You and I are going out for lunch tomorrow," Harriet promised  as she pulled the door open, not at all surprised to find Victor there his face set in a concerned frown.

"Austin?"

"Take me home Vic, we have our own goodbyes to say," Austin murmured giving him a trembling smile.

 

"We aren't going to say goodbye Aus, there's no need for that," Victor promised catching her chin with a finger as she lowered her face. "I'm coming back."

"Promise?"

"Cross my heart...I give you my solemn word as a Marine: I am coming back to you," Victor smiled. "Now let's get home and...umm....pack, as the Admiral so nicely put it."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

0100 EDT
Bedroom
Austin's Apartment
Rosslyn, Virginia...



"I've been thinking Austin," Victor said lacing his fingers with hers as they lay together in the middle of her bed covered in a sheen of sweat from their earlier exertions.

"About what?" Austin asked scratching his chest lightly with her fingernails lifting her head to look into his eyes.

"Us...I think we should move in together. Once I come back we can find another apartment or a house if you wanted. How does that sound?"

"Very domestic...Are you really sure Vic? We've only been dating for 3 or so months."

"My love, I'm old enough to know my own mind and I know what I want. I want you," He murmured cupping her face so he could kiss her tenderly.

"I am so proud of you for wanting to go to Afghanistan," Austin sighed pressing her hand against his cheek. "but a part of me wants to be selfish and keep you here."

"And a part of me wants to stay Aus...we have a future though and I want it to be safe."

Austin pressed her head against his shoulder. "Harriet told me a normal deployment is about 9 months...but this isn't a normal deployment is it?"

"No honey, I'm afraid not..." Victor sighed deciding they'd talked enough about him leaving when he felt Austin's tears against his skin. "Please don't cry...it's going to be okay."

"What about you getting transferred after you come back, doesn't that happen in the military?"

"Sweetheart if they change my duty station you're coming with me or I'll resign if I have to...I'm not going anywhere without you."

"Okay..." Austin yawned and sniffled, snuggling against him as she tried to make herself comfortable and get her mind to stop racing.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Next Morning
0815 EDT
Dulles International Airport...



"You're going to be okay, right Aus? You'll take care of yourself and not go jogging alone?" Victor questioned as he shouldered his carry-on bag getting ready to walk into the airport. With the new security measures Austin wouldn't be able to go in with him.

"I'll be fine...I promise. Commander Turner all ready asked if I'd like to jog with he and Bud," Austin replied blinking to hold her tears at bay.

"Write me Aus, send me emails. I don't know how often I'll be able to contact you, but I will as often as I can."

"I w-will," Austin sniffled finally losing the battle with her tears.

"I've gotta go now sweetheart...you take care," Victor put his arms around her waist kissing her tenderly before he let her go and stepped away.

"Victor!" Austin wailed making him turn as he was ready to walk into the terminal.

He turned in time to avoid being tackled by Austin. He crushed her against him again kissing the top of her head.

"I-I...just...wanted to say...I-I love you."

"Te amo Austin," Victor answered back holding her face in his hands.

"Stay safe Marine...I want you...b-b-back." Austin bit her lip and stepped away so Victor could leave.

"Aye, Aye Ma'am."

Austin watched him walk inside trying hard not to cry. Giving it up as futile, she walked back to her car collapsing into the driver's side leaning against the steering wheel as she sobbed.

The drive home was long and lonely and Austin arrived at her apartment exhausted and more depressed than she'd ever felt in her life.

She was shuffling miserably down the hall to her apartment when Bud and Harriet's door opened spilling Harriet and Mac into the hall.

"Hey there Austin, you're just in time: Harriet and I are going out for brunch and then shopping. You should join us!" Mac said cheerily pretending she couldn't see Austin's red-rimmed eyes and the tear still trailing down her cheeks.

"I don't think so, I don't really feel up to it," Austin whispered.

"Nonsense...Victor wouldn't want you to sit home feeling awful all day. You're coming with us," Harriet said firmly linking her arm through Austin's.

"Okay...maybe that would be best."

"You bet it would! Let's go girls...there are malls to be walked and food to be eaten!" Mac cried laughing at the shocked look on Austin's face. "Bet you never thought you'd see me act like this."

"You could say that," Austin smiled softly allowing herself to be led back out of the building.

 

 

***************************************************************

1810 Zulu
Outside Parade of Shoes...



"Look at those!" Mac groaned pointing to the heels in the shop window. "Why do shoemakers think women actually want to dress that way?"

"Some women do," Harriet pointed out. She looked behind her to see Austin standing at the window of a pet shop looking at the kittens playing inside. "Oh, aren't they cute?"

"Yeah," Austin answered listlessly wishing she had had just opted to stay home. She didn't want to be here and she knew her mood was bringing Harriet and Mac down. It was bad enough that she felt miserable, she didn't want to make them miserable as well.

"Let's go in and look around," Mac suggested tugging Austin into the store with her.

"Victor wanted to get me something before he left to keep me company while he was gone...but he didn't have the time," Austin whispered watching the kittens jump and tumble over each other engaging in mock-battles.

"I know...that's part of the reason for this little shopping trip. Victor asked me if I'd be sure you chose some sort of pet to keep you company. He said you had his credit card and money was no object," Harriet smiled pointing to a fluffy black kitten who had climbed away from the others and was sitting on top of the scratching post. "Look at that one...its so cute!"

"May I help you?" A store clerk asked having been directed to the two women by Mac who had disappeared into the dog section to see if she could find something to send Jingo.

"Umm...I'd like to see that little black kitten on the top of the scratching post," Austin said.

"Okay...let me just get her for you. She's a little girl...and if you buy her we give you a certificate good for her first vet's visit. She's had all her shots and things, but she'll need to be spayed when she gets older," The young man handed Austin the kitten grinning when it reached up with a little paw to bat at her face. "My name's Tom...when you're ready to check out or put her back let me know."

"She's so cute Austin, please tell me you're going to get her," Harriet squealed reaching out to touch the kitten's soft fur.

"I guess so...it will be nice to have some company. Let's go look for supplies for her. I need cat food, a litter box...some toys and things like that."

Mac joined Harriet and Austin insisting that she be allowed to buy the kitten a toy too. She chose a package of three small fur covered mice and added it to the basket full of things Harriet was carrying for Austin. "What are you going to call her?"

"Daisy," Austin said in a sure voice. "I had a cat named Daisy when I was little. Her owners left in one of the houses my parents and I moved into. This one reminds me a little bit of her."

"Daisy Galindez of Daisy Bradford?" Harriet teased sensing for the moment mentioning anything about Victor wouldn't make her friend cry.

"Hmm...I think maybe Daisy Bradford-Galindez," Austin laughed holding the little kitten out to look at her face. "Quite a name for such a little thing."

"Could be worse...it could be Albert Jethro," Mac giggled.

"Are you kidding me? I couldn't do that to a helpless kitten!" Austin snorted.

"Let's check out guys...I think we have all the necessities and I don't know about you, but I'm ready to sit and rest for a little while again," Harriet suggested leading the way back to the register.

Austin pulled her wallet from her purse opening it, not remembering that she'd slipped two pictures she and Victor had taken in a little photo booth in the front pocket above her driver's license. He had kept two and she'd taken two and now looking at them made her want to cry all over again. He was gone and lord only knew when he'd be home.

Harriet saw the change in Austin's face and sighed. This was going to be rough. She knew eventually Austin would adjust and find a routine for herself, but until then Harriet vowed to keep a close eye on her friend.

"I can't believe I just spent $150 in the pet store. When Maria looks at Victor's credit card statement she is going to freak out," Austin groaned setting the kitten in her soft sided carrier down on the bench seat beside her. The women had decided to sit and rest in Applebee's since Mac was hungry again.

"I doubt it...I'm sure Victor told her to expect something like that. And it will make him happy since he'll know you won't be alone," Harriet pointed out.

"Yep, me and my ferocious attack cat," Austin smiled reaching a finger in to stroke the sleeping kitten's soft fur.

"So ladies what would you like to eat? And this is on me...so don't argue!" Mac ordered eyeing her friends seeing them about ready to protest.

"Hmm...the Sante Fe Chicken Salad sounds good," Harriet said. "How about you Austin?"

"I'm not really hungry, but I'll take the Oriental Chicken Salad."

"Yuck! Rabbit food. You two have spent way too much time with Harm...he's corrupted you!" Mac wrinkled her nose and smiled. "I'm having the prime rib."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

2230 Zulu
Austin's Apartment
Rosslyn, Virginia...



"Okay Daisy...there aren't really any rules here. You can sleep where ever you want to and run around all night like a wild thing if you want. Just don't wake me up...and don't break anything," Austin told the kitten who was watching her from a perch on the bathroom sink while Austin set up her litter box.

"And don't get too used to this place...when your...hmm...I guess he'd be your Dad...when he comes home we're probably going to move again. Someplace bigger and maybe we'll get you a friend then. You'll like your father...he's a big marshmallow if you ignore the Marine haircut and the glare he's perfected."

Austin took a seat on the floor leaning against the wall as she continued to talk softly to the kitten not bothering to wipe away the tears winding down her face. "H-He's away now...he wants to help stop the man who ordered the attacks on the World Trade Center and the Pentagon. I-I don't...know why...he wanted to do this...I mean I'm proud of him and everything...but I want him here with me."

She was interrupted by the phone ringing and she scrubbed a fist over her eyes before getting to her feet to answer it. "Hello?"

"Hi Aus...it's me."

"Vic?"

"Don't cry sweetheart...I wanted to call and let you know I arrived safely. Can't talk long...there a bunch of other guys waiting to call home too."

"I bought a kitten today."

"That's great Aus...I'm glad...I hope you put it on my credit card. And when you bring your car in for the brake job put that on my card too."

"Victor, I can't use all your m-money!"

"I want you too Aus: I want to take care of you."

"Okay," Austin whispered biting her lip hard.

"I also wanted you to know I'll be here in North Carolina for a couple of weeks at Camp Lejeune and then we're going in country. So for a few weeks I'll probably be able to call you at least a couple times a week. After that...we'll have to see."

"Victor...I just want you to know...I am s-so proud of you."

"Thanks sweetheart...gotta run now. Love you."

"I love you too Vic."

"We'll talk again soon. Bye."

 

*******************************************************************

A week later
1200 Zulu
JAG Headquarters
Falls Church, Virginia...

 

 

Loren Singer looked up from her desk when she heard someone approaching smiling to see Austin Bradford. She'd looked like hell since Gunny left and today was no exception. She was still dressed impeccably, but her face was too pale and the dark circles under her eyes were starting to make her look like a raccoon. "Good morning Miss Bradford, Ma'am."

"Good morning Lieutenant," Austin answered not slowing her pace. The last thing she wanted to do was get stuck in a conversation. Bad enough she was supposed to meet with SecNav and his aide, Commander Lindsay, later that day she be damned if she let anyone annoy her before then.

"Ma'am, I was wondering if you'd heard from Gunny lately...How is he doing? You know we're all curious," Singer pressed getting up to follow Austin into the break room.

Like hell you're curious you witch...you're looking to start something, Austin seethed silently deciding she was just going to have to be rude this morning. "I'm very busy right now Lieutenant. I have a meeting with my EFMP coordinators in an hour's time. I wish I had time to chat, but I don't."

"Oh that's all right Ma'am. I'm sure my friend at Camp Lejeune was wrong. I'm sure Gunny wasn't hurt when that lance corporal fired his rifle while he was giving instructions."

"WHAT?!?" Austin fairly shrieked ready to reach out and grab Singer and shake her.

"I just heard there was an accident is all Ma'am. I'm sure it's nothing. Gunny would have told you."

 

"You're right," Austin snapped back. "If you'll excuse me." she didn't even wait until Singer had turned to slam her office door shut. She slumped into the chair behind her desk pressing her hand over her stomach with a grimace. Great...heartburn again. Looks like I better lay off the coffee.

She opened her laptop turning it on while she pulled her agenda for this morning's meeting out of her bag. Luckily it was a simple meeting: all she really had to do was listen to the coordinators' reports and alert them to some new changes in the Special Education law. Of course Commander Lindsay would be there and the little worm would no doubt have a million and one questions which would irritate her coordinators.

Austin scribbled a note to herself to remember to remind the people at the meeting that questions were to be held until the end. And if Lindsay really annoyed her she decided she'd just throttle him right there. The Admiral would defend her in court, she was sure of it.

When the laptop was finally booted up and ready she logged into her email account and quickly typed off a letter to Victor. He seemed to be able to answer her emails at the moment more than he could call her so she hoped by the end of the day she'd have some sort of answer as to what Singer had been talking about.

"Victor,

Hi. I just heard some disturbing news from Lieutenant Singer. She said she'd heard from a friend at Camp Lejeune that there was an accident yesterday on the firing range and that you were involved. PLEASE let me know what is going on!!! Miss you, Love you. Aus."

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

1735 Zulu
JAG Headquarters
Falls Church, Virginia...



"Tell me Commander Rabb: is it illegal to choke SecNav's aide to death?" Austin questioned looking over the rim of her tub of yogurt to catch the look on his face.

"I think you know the answer to that," Harm chuckled.

"Did he do something Austin?" Mac asked curiously.

"Other than aggravate one of my EFMP coordinators so much that she got up and walked out of the meeting...no. He wouldn't stop asking her about a student she was case managing who was suspended from his school for a weapons violation. Like it was her fault that the kid brought his pocket knife to school," Austin grumbled putting her yogurt down as another wave of pain rolled through her stomach.

She had to admit that despite the upset stomach she enjoyed getting the chance to eat lunch with Bud, Harriet, Harm, Mac and Commander Turner when they were all free. It was nice to sit back and talk with them.

"You could probably make a case for justifiable homicide Austin," Bud said smiling, surprising everyone with his sly sense of humor.

"Great...will you represent me? Because I have to meet with SecNav and the little weasel this afternoon. I don't think we'll both live through the encounter."

"Isn't the Admiral going to sit in with you on that?" Harriet asked.

"Yes thank goodness...I don't think I could be professional and polite otherwise."

"Hang tough Miss Bradford...sorry to eat and run folks, but I have to get back to work," Harm patted Austin's shoulder as he walked by her to leave the room.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

0000 Zulu
Austin's Apartment
Rosslyn, Virginia...



"I'm home!" Austin called as she dropped her bag by the front door smiling when a little fluffy streak of black fur streaked by. God she felt lousy, it was going to be nice to just sit down and relax tonight. Right after she checked her email of course. Hopefully Victor had replied.

"No such luck...just 125 junk mail messages, dammit!" Austin sputtered going into the bedroom to change into something more comfortable. Harriet was dropping little AJ off with her for a little while so she and Bud could go grocery shopping in peace.

She was changing when another wave of pain rolled through her stomach leaving a coppery taste at the back of her mouth. Knowing what that was Austin raced for the bathroom making it just in time.

When the heaving and retching stopped Austin sat back grabbing a towel to wipe her mouth until she felt steady enough to get to her feet and brush her teeth. She risked a glance at the mess as she lowered the lid and flushed eyes widening when she saw some blood. "Oh...that cannot be good."

She pushed to her feet and brushed her teeth hoping she'd been imagining what she had seen knowing she hadn't when the water she spit out was tinged pink. Austin looked at her gums wondering if it was just bleeding gums seeing nothing that would support that theory.

"It's nothing to worry about...I'm fine...healthy as a horse...starting to look like one too," Austin assured her reflection in the mirror. She hadn't been jogging regularly and she was afraid it was showing. She'd have to make it a point to use the treadmill at least in the morning.

She went into the bathroom determined to beat the heartburn or whatever it was before Harriet showed up. She opened the medicine cabinet and pulled out the bottle of Pepto Bismol...the stuff was vile, but there wasn't much else. She'd have to add Maalox to her shopping list, at least she could tolerate that. She took a dose shuddering at the taste as she heard a knock on the door.

"Coming!"

 

***********************************************************

0345 Zulu
Barracks
Camp Lejeune, North Carolina...



"Hey Galindez...wanna use my laptop to check your email?"

"Sure, thanks Simons!" Victor got off his cot walking over to the small computer station area. He eased into the chair wincing at the twinge of pain in his back from where he'd hit the turf yesterday.

"I don't know why you didn't lay into Peterson's six more than you did...a hair closer and he'd have hurt you pretty bad."

Victor shrugged. "He's just a kid...green, scared and excited all in one. Reaming him wasn't going to net me much. Watching him do pushups and laps in the rain was pretty satisfying though."

Roger Simons laughed and slapped his fellow Gunnery Sergeant's shoulder. "So tell me about yourself Galindez. Where're you from? Duty Station? Family...stuff like that."

Victor sighed to himself as he punched in his user name and password. He didn't feel like getting close to Simons. At the moment he wanted to check his email, send Austin a note and then go back to his bunk and rest for awhile. But Simons had shared with him and it didn't hurt to have friends... "I was born and raised in New Mexico. My last duty station was in Falls Church, Virginia at JAG Ops. I have a mother and four sisters back in New Mexico. No wife or kids..."

Victor's voice trailed off when he saw Austin's email addy in three separate messages in his inbox. He couldn't stop the small grin that tugged his lips upward.

"I sense a but in there...Spill it!"

"I have been seeing someone for three months or so...she's the director of the Exceptional Family Members Program for the Navy."

"A squid?? And in a position like that. Man, Galindez: You're lucky you both aren't up on fraternization charges."

"She's a civilian...it's not like that. She works out of JAG Ops, but reports directly to SecNav...she's a great lady...keeps me on my toes at any rate."

"Sounds nice...just be warned: If you thought DI's were tough they've got nothing on a wife with a 'Honey Do' list."

"I'm not planning marriage yet...three months is a little soon."

"Tell my Lynn that. She had me hook, line and sinker from date one," Simons sighed wistfully and got up from the chair he'd been slouched in leaving Victor some private time to read his email.

 

Victor read through the first two emails smiling at the mentions Austin made of her new kitten Daisy, his "daughter". He didn't think he'd be able to appease his mother's constant begging for a grandchild by telling her that he'd adopted a kitten, but it was cute to think of the little ball of black fluff with green eyes he'd seen a digital photo of as his "kid". He opened the third email and his smile faded away to be replaced by a look of anger.

"Victor,

Hi. I just heard some disturbing news from Lieutenant Singer. She said she'd heard from a friend at Camp Lejeune that there was an accident yesterday on the firing range and that you were involved. PLEASE let me know what is going on!!! Miss you, Love you. Aus."

 

How dare Singer do that? Who the hell did she think she was? Victor seethed deciding an email wasn't going to cut it to answer this. He needed to talk to Austin, let her hear his voice so she'd know he was all right.

"Thanks for the use of your laptop Simons...I'll be back in a bit...gotta make a call."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

0400 Zulu
Bedroom
Austin's Apartment
Rosslyn, Virginia...



The ringing of the telephone made Daisy shoot straight off the bed into the air and Austin swore the kitten's paws didn't actually touch the floor until she'd gone about 30 feet.

"'Lo?" She questioned sleepily finding her voice hoarse.

"Hey Aus, it's me. I got your email and I wanted to call."

"Vic...oh god, you're okay? You are okay, aren't you?" Austin demanded clutching the receiver as she sat up in her bed.

"I'm fine querida...really. Lance Corporal Peterson is a piss poor shot lucky for me. I'm fine and he learned a valuable lesson about keeping the safety on when you're told to. How are you? You sound tired."

"You woke me up honey, what did you expect?"

"It's more than that isn't it though Aus? Don't lie, I hear it in your voice. Talk to me Austin," Victor ordered softly.

"I'm fine...really. Just busy and lonely. There's no handsome Marine here to snuggle up to," Austin lied grimacing when her stomach ache flared up briefly.

"I hope not...I know what you mean though...there's no beautiful EFMP director here to hold."

"You are making me blush Vic..." Austin grumbled. "And I think we've about used up our two minutes."

"Yeah...there was no one here when I got here...but as soon as I got on the line formed. I love you Aus...and please know if something happens you will be the first to know: not Lieutenant Singer. Take care Aus...get some sleep."

"I will...you t-too Victor. I love you," Austin answered stumbling over the word "too" when the ache in her stomach returned.

"Love you."

Austin hung up and got out of bed padding into the bathroom for more Pepto Bismol. Another swallow of the stuff and a deep shudder and she was back in bed curled on her side wondering what in the heck was wrong with her.

She'd have considered pregnancy, but there was a box of condoms in the nightstand drawer and her own prescription for the pill that would make that highly unlikely.

"Unlikely, but not impossible," Austin sighed knowing that there was no fool proof method of birth control except for abstinence. She was pretty sure it wasn't a baby though since it wasn't usually nausea, but pain. Tonight's episode of vomiting had been the first, but the burning feeling in her stomach was almost constant now.

"I'm 32, I'm falling apart," Austin mumbled sleepily snuggling down under the blankets and quilt on her bed pulling Victor's pillow into her arms.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

0519 Zulu
Barracks
Camp Lejeune, North Carolina...



Victor rolled to his side again on his cot bunching the thin pillow up under his head. He hadn't been able to let go of the idea that something was wrong with Austin ever since he'd heard her sleepy voice. Of course finding out that Singer had targeted her wasn't helping much. Austin didn't need Singer on her case, but he also knew she could deal with it. Austin wasn't above playing dirty if she had to, Victor didn't want to see it come to that though.

He let his mind wander thinking about Simons saying his wife Lynn had had him from the first date. Victor wondered again if maybe he should have asked Austin to marry him before he'd left. He didn't have an engagement ring for her though and he wanted to do it right. Victor Galindez didn't intend on getting married more than one time, so when he proposed he was going to do it in the most romantic way he could.

Deciding the next time he had a chance he was going to call Lieutenant Sims and make sure Austin was really okay, Victor finally let his body and mind relax enough to go to sleep.

*************************************************************

November 19, 2001

1515 Zulu
Conference Room

JAG Headquarters
Falls Church, Virginia...

 

 

 

"So Miss Bradford, how have you found your monthly meetings with the case managers to be?" SecNav asked. He'd all ready heard Commander Lindsay's feelings on the matter and now he wanted to know how she felt.

Austin pressed a hand against her stomach forcing herself not to wince at the pain. Even Maalox wasn't taking care of it any longer and she knew it was time to give in and see a doctor, if she lived through the meeting with SecNav. "I find them to be very helpful. I know what the case managers are facing and they get to talk and problem solve with their colleagues."

"Hmmm...Commander Lindsay does not share your optimistic view of these meetings."

"I'm hardly surprised Mr. Secretary. Commander Lindsay does not usually stay for the entire meeting, he also asks many questions about matters which fall outside the scope of a case manager's duties."

The Secretary of the Navy turned his head to look at his aide raising an eyebrow in a questioning manner while his lips twisted into a frown. "Such as?" he prompted Austin.

"With all due respect Mr. Secretary, there is no possible way my case managers can be held responsible for a child on their caseload bringing a knife to school with them. That is a disciplinary matter which needs to be handled by the school's administration. As it was in the case I'm referring to. The Case Manager and I were invited by the Special Educator to attend the meetings that resulted from the incident which we both did. The matter was resolved to meet the best interests of the student in question, but Commander Lindsay didn't seem to feel that Lieutenant McBride had done her job."

"Well Commander?"

"I just felt Sir that Lieutenant McBride should have known the student was a threat to others," Commander Lindsay rushed to explain. "She has been his case manager since he was a small boy. She knows him."

"Excuse me, may I interrupt?" Austin demanded, having decided she was going to speak even if Lindsay didn't stop talking. Misconceptions like this one, that you could possibly get to know a child when you met with them a couple of times a month and read their files, made her see red.

Austin paused, collecting her thoughts before sliding to the edge of her seat. "Lieutenant McBride has 20 other children on her case load. She meets with the student in question 2 times per month and she attends all meetings about him, but that in no way makes her an expert on him. It is utterly impossible to know everything there is to know about a child even if you live with them 24 hours a day. This child's own parents are very open in admitting that they don't know all there is to know about their son. It's ridiculous to expect a case manager to."

She sat back in her seat, stomach churning and cramping while she looked across the table at the men sitting there. A wave of nausea swept through her and Austin swallowed hard. She was not going to get sick here and now. No way.

"Miss Bradford, are you all right? You look very pale. Commander, go get Admiral Chegwidden please," The Secretary ordered reaching for the pitcher of ice water on the table and pouring some into a glass for Austin.

"I'm fine," Austin lied taking the cup of water with a trembling hand leaving her other arm wrapped around her middle.

"I sincerely doubt that you are fine Miss Bradford."

She took a sip of the water leaning back in her chair. This was too humiliating for words. The only thing worse would be if the nausea didn't go away and she ended up vomiting on the carpet. All Austin had to do was get through today and she would be fine. She was flying to New Mexico that evening so she'd be able to spend Thanksgiving with Victor's mother and sisters.

"You needed me Mr. Secretary?" AJ asked as he came through the door.

"Miss Bradford doesn't seem to be feeling well at all. Perhaps you can find someone to take her home Admiral?"

 

"Certainly Mr. Secretary," AJ went to Austin's side. "Why don't you come to my office and I'll get a volunteer to bring you home?"

Austin merely nodded afraid if she opened her mouth she was going to do something awful to the Admiral's uniform. She slid to the edge of the chair and pushed to her feet wobbling when the pain surged again.

"We can reschedule this meeting for after the holiday Miss Bradford. Thank you for your time, it seems Commander Lindsay and I have a great deal to discuss now."

"You-You're welcome Mr. Secretary and I apologize for this," Austin breathed clutching the chair she was standing in front of for support.

"That's fine. I understand that sometimes you might not feel well."

"Let me go get Tiner to help me. You seem pretty unsteady on your feet," AJ suggested once he was alone with Austin.

"I'm fine Sir...I-just need to sit for a few minutes," Austin moved around the chair to slump in it wondering why it seemed her vision was misting over. Nausea swept over her again then nothing as the mist covering her vision turned black.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

1630 Zulu
Emergency Room
Bethesda Naval Hospital
Bethesda, Maryland...



Harriet sat on the edge of the hard plastic chair wringing her hands together in her lap as she watched the Admiral pace. "Sir, I'm sure Austin's fine."

"I'm sure she will be too Lieutenant."

"Admiral Chegwidden?"

A young looking doctor stood in the doorway holding a chart.

"Yes. How is Miss Bradford?"

"Resting for the moment. I'm going to admit her overnight. She's quite dehydrated and she herself admits she hasn't eaten much of anything in days."

"Is that what's wrong? She's not eating?" Harriet demanded worriedly.

"I suspect she might have developed an ulcer. We'll be doing an endoscopy in about an hour's time to check her stomach for lesions. In the meantime I've given her some Prevacid to reduce the production of acid in her stomach and she's on a saline IV to help with the dehydration. If you'd like I can take you both to see her."

AJ nodded and followed Harriet into the ER past curtained cubicles until they reached Austin's. He hung back slightly while Harriet walked right in going to Austin's side taking her hand.

"Hey Austin, what is this about you not eating? If you were in pain you should have told me Aus...I'd have made sure you saw someone," Harriet scolded softly brushing her friend's hair away from her face.

"M okay...Admiral...Sir...I'm sorry about the-the table."

"Nothing to be sorry for. I've been saying for years that the table in the conference room needs refinishing: now it'll get that," AJ teased pleased to see the ghost of a smile glide across the young woman's lips.

"I can't stay here tonight...I'm supposed to go see Victor's Mom and sisters for Thanksgiving," Austin whined looking at Harriet pleadingly.

"It's just for tonight Austin...you can go tomorrow if you feel up to it. Gunny's mother will understand," Harriet soothed.

AJ rubbed his chin thoughtfully. Austin didn't have any family of her own, orphaned at the age of five according to her personnel file and raised in foster homes. Maybe he could get a flight for Gunny's mother to come here. Having dealt with an ulcer of his own he didn't think Austin would be feeling well enough to travel tomorrow. "Lieutenant Sims...you keep an eye on Miss Bradford. I have some calls to make."

"I didn't think this was serious Harriet..." Austin sighed curling up on her left side on the gurney.

"You'd just better be thankful Gunny wasn't here to see this. He'd have been climbing the walls," Harriet warned seeing tears well in Austin's eyes. "You really miss him, don't you?"

Austin nodded letting tears wind down her cheeks. "It's so lonely without him. I thought it would get better and I'd be fine...and I think I am most times...but right now I just miss him so much it hurts."

"That's what it's like to be in love Aus," Harriet murmured. "You can go on without him, but it isn't the same. I think it's time I took you to some of the Wives' Club meetings. I know it won't be at Camp Lejeune, but still you'd have some support from women who know how you feel."

"I-I'd like that," Austin whispered sleepily. The pain was finally receding and all she wanted to do was to close her eyes and rest for a minute or two.


*******************************************************************

0330 Zulu
Dulles International Airport...

 


AJ Chegwidden scanned the passengers leaving the terminal looking for Maria Galindez. When he'd spoken with Victor's mother earlier in the day to let her know Austin was suffering with an ulcer at the moment and probably wouldn't feel up to flying to New Mexico the older woman had immediately said she was coming East. Then she'd hung up on the startled Admiral to make travel arrangements.

Later in the afternoon he'd spoken with Maria. Maria had said she and her mother were coming and asked if they had a definitive diagnosis on Austin yet. AJ had been able to assure Maria it was an ulcer and Austin would be fine, though her voice would be a bit hoarse for a few days thanks to the endoscope and the anesthetic spray the doctor had used.

"I'm sure she won't feel up to a huge Thanksgiving celebration, but Mama is insisting on coming and I have to admit, I'm curious to meet the woman Victor talked so much about. Besides which I don't dare let Mama fly alone," Maria had chuckled.

There she was, AJ raised his hand waving to catch Maria's eyes as he walked forward. "It's a pleasure to see you again Maria."

"AJ...likewise!" Maria cried patting his arm before she turned to a woman who looked like an older version of her. "Mama, I'd like you to meet Admiral AJ Chegwidden. He's Victor's CO...AJ, this is my mother, Teresa Galindez."

"It's a pleasure to meet you Mrs. Galindez," AJ shook the older woman's hand.

"How is Victor's Austin? Is she resting, poor thing?" Teresa asked watching the Admiral's face for signs that he wasn't being completely honest with her.

"She is resting...when I left to come pick you up she was sleeping again. Lieutenant Harriet Sims was sitting with her."

"Has anyone notified Victor?" Maria asked handing AJ her bag and her mother's as they prepared to follow him to his vehicle.

"Not yet...I'm going to try to get through to his superior this evening so he can give Victor the message. I didn't want to call before I had something definite I could tell him."

"I want to go see Austin," Teresa said firmly. "Then I will decide what to do next."

"Of course Mrs. Galindez. I took the liberty of having my yeoman book you into a little bed and breakfast about a block from where Miss Bradford's apartment is."

"That is fine."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

0400 Zulu
Room 126
Bethesda Naval Hospital...



"She looks exhausted Harriet," Bud sighed looking down at Austin holding little AJ tightly to keep him from trying to get into the bed with his favorite babysitter. "How did we miss seeing this?"

"She hid it I suppose," Harriet answered brushing Austin's hair. Shushing her gently when she stirred in her sleep.

"Gunny asked me to make sure she was okay. Check in on her and stuff. I feel like I let him down."

"We didn't let him down Bud...Gunny would understand, but we need to keep a closer eye on her now. Start asking her over for dinner more often and including her in more weekend plans. The holiday season is here and that has to be lonely for her anyway with no family."

"She's definitely coming Christmas tree shopping with us...she picked the best tree on the lot last year," Bud smiled.

There was a soft rap on the door and it eased open enough for Harm to slip his head in. "Is she awake?"

"No Sir...she's been asleep since the Admiral left to pick up Victor's mother. What are you doing here?"

"Sturgis took up a little collection this afternoon and we got Austin some flowers and balloons...thought she might want some cheering up," Harm shrugged opening the door to carry the flower arrangement and Get Well Soon balloons in. "I'll just leave them and get going."

"Sir, before you go...Bud and I have been thinking. We should have a JAG Thanksgiving this year. With all that's happened it just feels like we have so much to be thankful for."

"That sounds really nice Harriet. Why don't we bring it up at Staff meeting tomorrow morning? Maybe the Admiral will offer his house for it," Harm grinned setting the gifts on the stand beside Austin's bed. "Tell her I stopped in if she wakes up."

"Of course sir, but her doctor thinks she'll probably sleep through the night."

"I'd better be getting little AJ home and into bed honey. You are coming home tonight aren't you?"

"Mm-hmm," Harriet nodded. "Austin made me promise to make sure Daisy was okay. I'm just going to wait for the Admiral to come back with Gunny's mother."

Harriet watched her husband and son leave before settling into the chair she'd moved close to Austin's bed. She couldn't do much for her friend but watch her sleep, but she felt like she needed to be there. If the situations were reversed she knew Austin would be right there.

 

She had been in the horrible days following Baby Sarah's death. Austin had taken over for her at home, doing the cleaning, cooking an dishes, giving Harriet time and space to grieve. Austin hadn't asked what she could do to help, she'd just jumped in doing everything and anything she could find to do and forging a friendship that Harriet truly cherished.

"We'll get through this Aus...Gunny won't be gone forever."

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


Afghanistan...



"Gunnery Sergeant Galindez, the Chief asked that you come to see him as soon as you came back from patrol," A young Lance Corporal said as soon as Victor walked through the gate into the prison compound.

"Sure," Victor muttered tiredly running a hand through the beard covering his face. God the stinking thing itched. He hardly recognized himself when he looked in the mirror anymore and he wondered what Austin would think of his new look. She'd probably like his hair, he thought with a smile picturing the way she had looked their last morning together when he'd woken up early just to watch her sleep in his arms.

Shaking his head to clear away the memories of home, Victor trudged for the main hut hoping this was going to be quick so he could get some sleep before he went back out on patrol.

"Galindez, come in please," The CO ordered. He didn't stand much on formality out here. He couldn't afford to...he didn't want any of the prisoners knowing who the most important man was so they all dressed in civilian clothes and rarely called each other by rank. "Have a seat."

Victor sat in the chair in front of the desk realizing how good it felt just to get off his feet for a little bit. "You wanted to see me Sir?"

"I got a message for you from an Admiral Chegwidden. Seems your girlfriend's just been diagnosed with an ulcer. Your mother and sister are with her now."

"She's-she's okay right?" Victor asked trying to keep his face neutral.

"The Admiral said she was resting and she was going to be fine. Whyn't you go get some sleep Galindez...you can send her a MARS gram later or something if you want."

"Yes Sir. Thank you Sir for telling me," Victor climbed back to his feet standing at attention for several seconds before the CO dismissed him.

He walked into the hut he shared with several other men and over to the pallet he slept on sitting down before he reached under the blankets and thin mattress for the photo he'd kept. They weren't supposed to have any personal effects and Victor supposed if he got caught he'd get reamed, but he didn't care right now.

He lifted it out smiling at the picture Harriet had taken of him and Austin after the JAG-a-thon. "You're okay, right Aus? I'm sorry I'm not there with you my love...I wish I could be, but Mama will take care of you. Te Amo Aus..."

Victor settled wearily onto the bed tucking the picture into a pocket on his shirt as he drifted to sleep his mind thousands of miles away on Austin. He would sleep for awhile then get up and send a message for her. He didn't want her to think he didn't care.

 

 

****************************************************************

The following day

1200 EST

Austin's Apartment
Rosslyn, Virginia...



"I feel fine, honestly...if you and Maria would like to go see some of the sites in DC that would be fine," Austin called to Victor's mother who was busy in her kitchen while she was relegated to the sofa with orders to stay put and rest.

She sighed and closed her eyes leaning her head on the back of the sofa as she stroked Daisy's soft fur making the kitten purr. The MARS-gram from Victor had come while she'd still been at Bethesda and of course despite her desire not to cry, she had wept openly on Teresa's shoulder.

"I am not leaving you here alone...poor thing...so sick and left all alone. Victor would never forgive me," Teresa answered carrying a tray with Chicken soup and some saltines out for Austin.

"I'm really not that sick...it's just an ulcer. I just have to remember to take the Prevacid to reduce the acid in my stomach and the antibiotics to kill the bacteria," Austin smiled shifting so the tray could be set across her lap.

"You're too thin," the older woman countered. "Eat now...it is only canned soup, but your friend Lieutenant Roberts said later he would take me shopping for food."

Austin did as she was told taking several spoonfuls of the soup, having to admit she had been a little bit hungry as the warm liquid slid down her throat and into her stomach.

"Okay Mama...I got our things from the bed and breakfast," Maria called stepping into the apartment followed by AJ Chegwidden who was helping to carry the bags.

"Admiral!" Austin squeaked in shock tugging the blanket she'd had draped over her feet up to cover her bare legs. She'd been too tired to think about getting dressed when she'd gotten home and had settled on a pair of flannel boxers and a sweatshirt of Victor's.

"Decided I'd come see how you were and issue an invitation. I'm going to have a Thanksgiving dinner at my home on Thursday: I do hope you'll come, all of you." AJ smiled.

"That sounds very nice, thank you Admiral," Austin accepted graciously.

"Well then...looks like you're following orders and resting so I'll leave you to it. Better get back to JAG Ops before Tiner breaks something or Rabb decides to practice his marksmanship on the ceiling again."

"That's a true story??" Austin demanded. "I thought for sure Mac was just teasing me."

"It is a true story," AJ shook his head ruefully. "Ask him to tell you all about it Thanksgiving dinner."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

2225
Kandahar, Afghanistan...



Victor walked stealthily over the ridge he was patrolling trying to keep his mind on his duty. All he could think of was Austin though. He'd wanted so much to hear her voice, the MARS-gram just didn't cut it, but it had been better than nothing he supposed. Maybe over the holidays at some point he'd be able to talk the CO into letting him go on a supply run so he could at least send an email or something.

He'd expected this deployment to be rough, but never in his wildest dreams had he imagined after a little over a month he'd want to be stateside. Victor had talked with a few of the married guys in his unit and found that they all felt the same way: they were Marines, but they were human too and they were lonely. He knew a few of the guys had even been flirting with women from a local village claiming it was innocent and their wives expected it. It still made it wrong in Victor's book.

He stopped behind a large boulder, taking a seat on the cold ground reaching inside his shirt pocket for his photo. 

"Hey Aus...I'm so damned lonely I'm talking to your picture now," Victor chuckled shaking his head as he traced her smiling face with a finger letting a part of his mind drift to the day Harriet had taken it. It hadn't started out so well...

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

JAG-A-THON...

Austin looked in the back of the cart she was riding in with Harriet shaking her head. "You would think after they'd hurt themselves the two of them would STOP bickering like two old ladies!"

Harriet giggled and patted Austin's shoulder. "They're men Austin, they aren't as mature as we are."

"Hey!" Tiner complained deciding to get Victor in trouble. "It's not my fault Gunny tripped over that tree root because he was watching that woman jog by!"

Victor elbowed Tiner hard in the ribs shooting a murderous glare at him when Austin turned around in her seat to regard him with one eyebrow arched.

"Really? You hurt yourself ogling another woman?" Austin asked in a mild voice. She was more amused by the incident than upset, but it would be fun to make Victor squirm a little.

"I wasn't ogling..." Victor lied sighing deeply when Austin gave him that look that women had seemed to have perfected that said 'do I look like I was born yesterday?' "Okay, maybe I was ogling...but Aus."

"Save it Jarhead." Austin cut him off, let him think she was angry for awhile...it would do him good.

"Tiner...if I end up in trouble over this your six is mine...I will make your life at JAG hell," Victor muttered with a fierce scowl.

"Aus, you're being mean to him," Harriet scolded in a whisper.

"Ooh look...there's Lieutenant Singer...slow down so Tiner and Victor can get a good look." Austin snorted.

"I wouldn't dare look at Lieutenant Singer...she'd probably jump on  back here and kill me," Tiner said earnestly.

It wasn't until close to three hours later that Victor had a chance to see Austin again. As soon as she and Harriet had dropped him off along with Tiner at the finish line with some Corpsmen, they'd sped off again in the cart. Then Austin had joined Commander Turner, Commander Rabb and Colonel Mackenzie in jogging to the finish line with Lieutenant Roberts.

He limped over to where she was sitting with her face tilted into the sun sucking in a pained breath a his pulled muscle protested the movement.

"Is that an injured Marine blocking my sunshine?" Austin questioned opening her eyes to smile at Victor.

"I wanted to apologize Aus," He said quietly easing his body to a seated position.

"Oh please...I was giving you a hard time Vic...you can look at other women: I don't care about that," Austin leaned over to kiss his cheek.

"You were teasing me?" Victor asked incredulously.

"Of course I was Marine...someone has to keep you on your toes," Austin taunted  trying to move away when he grabbed her hands tugging her back next to him putting an arm around her shoulder to keep her there.

"Smile and say Cheese!" Harriet ordered in a sing-song voice.

Victor forced a smile, feeling it become genuine when Austin leaned back against him putting one of her arms up around his neck so she could whisper in his ear.

"You're mine Marine...don't forget it."

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

 

"You were right Aus...I am yours..." Victor sighed deeply taking one last long look at the photo before he slipped it back into his pocket and got to his feet. Time to get back to his duty.

~On to Part 2~